New body style Taurus or not

Honda has shown that a large car is not needed in its lineup, also. Why pay extra for a Taurus when a Fusion Titanium is available for less?

Honda's primary business was never cars until the past 35 years or so. OTOH the Accord became their fullsize with the 08-current versions which the Fit starts where the original Civic began.

GM isn't going to replace the Impala, and any RWD version coming is a "dream".

I highly doubt Chevy go from 4 fullsize cars to 0 in 2 years, GM do have to pay for Omega development. Then again GM did kill the B-body Caprice and left America with the lowly Lumina in the 90s for big SUVs.

• Like 1

Fullsize CUV or midsize SUV, depending on which way you want to classify it. FWIW, Ford still calls it an SUV.

As I recall, CUV was originally a coined term to mean Crossover Utility Vehicle which meant that such a vehicle was built on a car-like front wheel platform to maximize passenger and cargo space, usually sharing such a platform with a passenger car.

SUV's were the original body on frame RWD truck chassis based vehicles. Some vehicles like the Escape was still called an SUV until more and more FWD car based vehicles came out.

Since the Explorer switched from body on frame RWD to the FWD unibody, I don't understand why it's referred to as a SUV. How it the Edge a CUV if the Explorer a SUV? They are both on car-like FWD platforms, just different sizes.

They just cannot be consistant in terminology if they tried so f@ck them I'll just call them all station wagons!

As I recall, CUV was originally a coined term to mean Crossover Utility Vehicle which meant that such a vehicle was built on a car-like front wheel platform to maximize passenger and cargo space, usually sharing such a platform with a passenger car.

SUV's were the original body on frame RWD truck chassis based vehicles. Some vehicles like the Escape was still called an SUV until more and more FWD car based vehicles came out.

Since the Explorer switched from body on frame RWD to the FWD unibody, I don't understand why it's referred to as a SUV. How it the Edge a CUV if the Explorer a SUV? They are both on car-like FWD platforms, just different sizes.

They just cannot be consistant in terminology if they tried so f@ck them I'll just call them all station wagons!

Another distinguishing characteristic of SUVs is offroad capability. Explorer has some still, Edge has none whatsoever.

Some thoughts after reading this thread in its entirety:

1. What do we really know about the CD6, any insider.... Buehler, Buehler..... anyone with real info, please help, I and many others really want to know more???

2. The Explorer is no more of an SUV than Hillary is an honest, selfless public servant who has never put personal income or special interest groups above helping the middle class. My employer has one of the largest fleets of SUV's, CUV's, and 4WD vehicles in the world (you know us by the lands we manage). When used carefully in SUV duty, they don't hold up or function well. This goes the same for any other FWD car based CUV. If it has duck bones for a skeleton and duck organs for a powertrain, it's a duck by any other name.

3. A three row CUV that is more wagon than make-believe SUV is needed by Ford. The Flex being goofy and the Taurus being cramped and goofy aren't enough to rationalize Ford leaving both the three-row and the large sedan segment.

• Like 1