New body style Taurus or not

Correction: Fusion production at FRAP ends on 2/26/16

I am curious how the Conti focus grouped. My gut instinct is that it did very very well, and that unforeseen demand for it and the global Mustang are basically the reason why Ford's scrapping the FRAP/CD4 Taurus and pulling the Fusion from FRAP.

Edited by RichardJensen

I am curious how the Conti focus grouped. My gut instinct is that it did very very well, and that unforeseen demand for it and the global Mustang are basically the reason why Ford's scrapping the FRAP/CD4 Taurus and pulling the Fusion from FRAP.

I keep telling people at the plant this and typically get called all types of names that usually are synonyms for moron.

...Well, the Flex also did well with focus groups too.

At what point? Did people like the concept a lot? Or the pre-production versions shown at clinics w/pricing, etc.?

Ford seems to be altering volume mix and product cadence for the Conti and the Mustang. Given how conservative the company is, that seems very significant to me.

Even so, Flex's styling was always polarizing....

I think Conti's styling has been very well received. Sure, there's a few negative opinions here and there, but as a whole, from what I've seen, it's getting attention. Do I think sales will explode? No, but I do expect good things from it.

Do we know if they're producing Continental in China? Or will FRAP be making all of them for export?

--

I agree akirby - I think Conti and MKZ both end up on CD6 at FRAP.

So you think that the Mustang and Explorer are going to share a platform? that'd result in at least one and very likely two crappy flagship Ford products.

So you're telling me that BMW uses entirely different platforms for the 3 series sedan, 4 series coupe and x3 crossover?

• Like 1

Even so, Flex's styling was always polarizing....

I think Conti's styling has been very well received. Sure, there's a few negative opinions here and there, but as a whole, from what I've seen, it's getting attention. Do I think sales will explode? No, but I do expect good things from it.

Do we know if they're producing Continental in China? Or will FRAP be making all of them for export?

--

I agree akirby - I think Conti and MKZ both end up on CD6 at FRAP.

Yes, FRAP is going to be the only source for the Continental worldwide. Ford is estimating that 60% of all sales will be to China.

Yes, FRAP is going to be the only source for the Continental worldwide. Ford is estimating that 60% of all sales will be to China.

That makes more sense then, with that being the only location for Conti production. Perhaps they are expecting big sales for it.

Conti sales....looking at North America alone....in all seriousness, given the expected pricing of it being around 45-60K a year...do you think its going to sell THAT well?

I have no clue as to the Chinese market is for luxury makes, but even at Lincoln's popularity height in the late 1990s, they sold 120K Town cars in 1994, The old DN101 Conti was lucky to sell 35K and the LS topped out at 50K in 2000. The Luxury market place has a lot more products and players in it now.

I really don't see the Conti selling more then 50K units a year with Chinese sales added in. The MKS never cracked more then 17K sales a year.

So the Explorer's not going to be on CD6 anymore? Or it's not going to be a full size seven passenger CUV anymore?

Aviator/Explorer are and always have been mid-sized. Expy/Navi are full-sized.

Not going to start that argument again. We'll just have to wait and see what CD6 turns out to be.

The Flex should be turned into a awd minivan. I read some where it was originally designed with two sliding doors.

MKT will most likely be the new 7 seater Aviator.

Taurus has be to build along side the Conti. If it doesn't, then that would be one odd business plan. Unless the plan is to make Conti and Taurus a rwd sedan on cd6.

The Flex should be turned into a awd minivan. I read some where it was originally designed with two sliding doors.

Yes, the Flex originally had sliding doors, but the focus groups showed that users would prefer to ditch those in favor of a better interior. Not to mention, ditching the sliding doors helped eliminate the minivan stigma.

Edited by fordmantpw
  • Like 1

I really don't see the Conti selling more then 50K units a year with Chinese sales added in.

I think they will easily move more than 1,500 Continentals per month, which is about where you project them at 50k overall/60% China.

By going all in on the luxury side of things, the Conti, IMO, presents a value proposition even at its higher MSRP.