First Mod?!?

mnblah

Alright.... I've been busting my head on this one, and figured it couldn't hurt to hear opinions from the Mustang community. I'll hopefully have my GT here soon enough and I'll only have enough left over for one mod.

I've narrowed it down to two.... A CAI/Tuner combo (leaning towards the Steeda intake), or a set of axle back mufflers (Borla S-type stingers, catback too expensive). Can't afford anything more at the moment considering how much I'm already spending on the car, so these are the options I feel I'll get the most out of. On the one hand, I'll have that beautiful low level rumble coming from the car, on the other I'll have more power which is never a bad thing. Needless to say I'm torn.

Opinions?

-mnblah

My 03 Mach 1 I had i put the SLP catback system on and loved it, this time I'm gonna go with the SLP axleback setup instead but I'll wait a bit. Already ordered my first mod, nice and simple, Steeda hood struts lol, get rid of that prop rod. So to answer your question I say the axle back setup! :victory:

I went with axel back exhaust as my first mod. I'm a little afraid of doing too may mods since many of them effect the warranty. My dealer will be installing the new exhaust for me and has already warned me that if there are any issues that could be caused my replacing the exhaust that Ford would deny that warranty service. I figured exhaust was the safest of the mods I could do. I'm going with a Roush exhaust but asked about the warranty if I went with a Ford Racing part to see if the response would change, it did not. They told me that both would be considered aftermarket and could void warranty coverage on that component.

I went with axel back exhaust as my first mod. I'm a little afraid of doing too may mods since many of them effect the warranty. My dealer will be installing the new exhaust for me and has already warned me that if there are any issues that could be caused my replacing the exhaust that Ford would deny that warranty service. I figured exhaust was the safest of the mods I could do. I'm going with a Roush exhaust but asked about the warranty if I went with a Ford Racing part to see if the response would change, it did not. They told me that both would be considered aftermarket and could void warranty coverage on that component.

I see no reason to believe that changing the exhaust (especially something as simple as axle back) could do anything to void your warranty.

To void your warranty, they have to show proof that the mod contributed to the issue that they are denying warranty for.

I see no reason to believe that changing the exhaust (especially something as simple as axle back) could do anything to void your warranty.

To void your warranty, they have to show proof that the mod contributed to the issue that they are denying warranty for.

I agree... I think your dealership is just trying to scare you out of modding.

If your electric windows stop working that can't say you voided your warranty because of your CAI. Now if you install a turbo and blow your pistons through the hood, there could be a chance they won't fix it :o) Not worried much about the CAI or axle back, tune could prove problematic which is why I would try going with someone reputable, which is hard enough to figure out on it's own.

-mnblah

Edited by mnblah

They didn't say that putting those on would totally void my warranty. What he said was that if there was a problem it would void the warranty for that issue. In other words, if I put this exhaust on and I have some sort of exhaust issue they would refuse to pay because I added the modded part. Does that sound right?

I would really like to add a CAI to the car, but that worries me even more since there are multiple things that could be effected. Just a little worried about spending a hefty amount on a new car then doing something that screws up the warranty if there is any issue down the line.

I can't remember off hand what company does it, but there is an aftermarket tuning company that is authorized by ford to boost power in certain models without voiding the warranty. I know the Focus ST is one of them. Not sure if any of the Mustang models are eligible.

Was it Livernois?

They didn't say that putting those on would totally void my warranty. What he said was that if there was a problem it would void the warranty for that issue. In other words, if I put this exhaust on and I have some sort of exhaust issue they would refuse to pay because I added the modded part. Does that sound right?

Yes. I don't think I've ever heard of any warranty issue due to a cat back exhaust system.

I live in California so there are no CAIs that are certified in CA. I put the K&N version on my V6 Accord and the results were astounding. K&N has dyno tests that show a 10 - 12 HP gain and an across the board increase in torque - really amazing power and sound improvement.

My local Ford dealer tells me the Ford Racing exhaust (made by Borla, I understand) would have no affect on the warranty but when you go on the Ford Racing website they have a blanket statement that basically says all their products are considered "after market" and as such might impact warranty. However I agree with earlier comment that Ford would have to prove that there was some potential impact from the exhaust to deny a warranty claim. Borla doesn't make any claims about power improvement but does say the Touring and Sport systems are 30 lbs lighter than stock. I'd say the improved sound and 30 less lbs would justify the exhaust (~$1,500 + installation)

I think the catch is with Ford Racing parts is it won't void the warrenty to if your dealer installed the parts, but there's a chance that it will if you do it yourself.

If that is a concern for you, it might be worth the extra money to just have the dealer do it.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo