2017 Fusion-MPG better than expected

Stephen White

Just picked up my 2017 Fusion SE last Friday. So far, I'm actually beating the EPA mileage estimates. I've only put about 150 miles on it so far, but I'm getting 37-39 MPG on the highway. Very impressed after only 4 days of ownership. EPA revised the MPG estimates down from the 2016 model, but I'm not sure why. I have the 1.5 Ecoboost and I absolutely love the start/stop technology. It's whisper quiet when it kicks back in and obviously saves gas.

Edited by Stephen White
  • Like 1

That's great and it should only get better as the engine breaks in. Many drivers wont admit that they're crappy drivers and complain when they don't get the advertised estimated mpg's. Since mpg's, for the time being anyway, are less important to drivers than when oil is expensive, I wonder if manufacturers lower the advertised estimates to avoid litigation. I have always gotten at or above the estimated mpg's, but that's me.

• Like 1

That's because cars are still (for some ungodly reason) tuned to be most efficient at a cruise speed of 55mph.

It's not tuning, it's simply physics.

You need to be in top gear which doesn't occur until 45-50 mph. Every mph above that you increase rpm which uses more fuel and more importantly you increase wind resistance and that's not linear.

• Like 1

Are you by chance using pure gasoline?

(or a flux converter?)

Just the gas that was in the car when I picked it up last Friday. I wonder if the fuel economy meter is wrong, it honestly seems too good to be true. I use cruise control a lot in order to maintain as consistent a speed as possible.

It's not tuning, it's simply physics.

You need to be in top gear which doesn't occur until 45-50 mph. Every mph above that you increase rpm which uses more fuel and more importantly you increase wind resistance and that's not linear.

For this reason I was hoping the Fusion would be getting the 9 speed transmission this year. It needs a taller top gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Over on the Fusion forum I have been taking part in a thread about the mileage of the 1.5 Ecoboost and I am quite pleased with how well my 2016 has been doing.

My car has had no trouble matching and even doing better than the EPA stats.

Morry

Hi there,

Currently the car has just under 8000 Kilometers on it. I purchased it last November and I have been giving a full report on its mileage there ever since.

I am doing this in the Ecoboost sub forum and the original post is titled "Fusion Ecoboost Fuel Mileage".

There is no point in repeating anything here, and my last post gives full observations on my latest tank of fuel.

And yes it I very impressive that this large a car can do as well as it is.

I had a 2009 Fusion SEL before this one and I was always quite impressed with the fuel mileage accuracy of its computer. This one seems to be doing just as well.

Morry

I think I saw in the manual that the engine takes 1000 miles to break in and learn the characteristics of your particular car before the mpg readout is accurate. Have you had a chance to do the math yourself to see if the indicated mpg is accurate? I hope it is because 37-39mpg is great.

Maybe you're just always driving downhill........with a tailwind.......

I don't think that's true - it's usually the opposite - your mileage improves after the break-in period as the engine loosens up. I can't explain your situation.

I've only fueled up the car twice since buying it. According to Fuelly, my MPG stands at 26.0. I think the first week I owned it, I had more highway miles and fewer city ones.

Hi Stephen, great news on your new Fusion's fuel economy.

Just remember that EPA Highway cycle is not a steady state test at constant speed.

This chart should explain it for you....

hwfetdds.gif

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1