Overall Quality: 5/5

Not so much for Cadillac Escalade

Overall Quality: 2/5

But then, Tahoe scores well

Overall Quality: 5/5

While Ford Expedition is only average

Overall Quality: 3/5

Edited by jpd80

And longterm reliability isn't that much different.

If the smart brand is considered an outlier, J.D. Power's VDS results from eariler this year (survey of owner reported problems after three years; chart below) show more variation than IQS.

2016_vds_rank_1.jpg

Consumer Reports' reliability survey also shows greater variation among brands as vehicles get older (note that the graphic is from 2012, but results of CR's 2015 reliability survey demonstrate similar trends):

reliability-by-manufacturer.jpg

Edited by aneekr
  • Like 1

You're still talking about 1 problem in 3 years for the best vehicles and 2 problems in 3 years for the worst. And a lot of the multiple problems can be fixed with one dealer visit.

To me, that would not factor in to which vehicle I bought.

To summarize - everyone should expect 1 to 2 problems per vehicle over 3 years.

• Like 1

I just know that first Ford Fusion was once the highest ranked vehicle in the IQS study and I know a bunch of people who owned them but they completely fell apart on them only 2 or 3 years later (my Dad was replacing interior parts left and right only 2 years in). So I've learned not to even bother with IQS studies. Only problem is, it takes time to find out what the VDS for cars today. Some brands have consistent scores, but Ford is probably the least consistent. At least they aren't consistently bad like Chrysler.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 2

I just know that first Ford Fusion was once the highest ranked vehicle in the IQS study and I know a bunch of people who owned them but they completely fell apart on them only 2 or 3 years later (my Dad was replacing interior parts left and right only 2 years in). So I've learned not to even bother with IQS studies. Only problem is, it takes time to find out what the VDS for cars today. Some brands have consistent scores, but Ford is probably the least consistent. At least they aren't consistently bad like Chrysler.

I bought one of the first Fusions off the truck in October 2005. Over the next 7 years I never took it back to the dealer and the only part I had to replace was a door handle for $60 and 15 minutes of labor. They were pretty much bulletproof until the 6F35 came along.

Good points, BORG. You are correct that some automotive brands are more consistent than others when it comes to long term reliability and dependability. Based on JDP VDS, Consumer Reports, and TrueDelta data, one can make the following generalizations:

• Toyota and Honda stand out for having consistently low problem rates across their vehicle lineups, even after 5 years of ownership
  • Hyundai and Kia products tend to do better in initial quality than in long term reliability/dependability
  • Audi has shown significant improvement in long term dependability over the past decade
  • GM and Ford vehicles as a group can be inconsistent. Some models do very well while others rank among the worst in their respective classes.
  • FCA brands and Mini consistently do poorly
Edited by aneekr
  • Like 2