Ford October Sales Report Postponed Due to Fire

Transit, Transit Connect, and Police Intercepters have significant retail customers?

And what percentage of F-Series/SuperDuty is sold into fleets? Might I suggest it's more than a Ford Fusion?

1) Transit and TC, possibly (I haven't seen numbers yet). PI and PIU, probably not so much.

2) It might be, but that's because there are more businesses and governmental agencies needing pickup trucks than there are that need midsize sedans.

Please post your preferred definitions for those phrases sir.

Month after month of 30%+ fleet sales, which by definition are less profitable than retail sales, is "fleet dumping" to me.

Aha that's your problem. You're assuming fleet sales are less profitable. Ford's fleet business is very profitable and healthy.

Fleet dumping means either building vehicles for the sole purpose of selling them cheaply to rental companies or selling excess inventory the same way. Ford doesn't do that.

They sell vehicles to rental fleets but they're not stripped down or sold at a huge discount like the 2006 Taurus.

• Like 1

Month after month of 30%+ fleet sales, which by definition are less profitable than retail sales, is "fleet dumping" to me.

That's either convention, trend, or assumption and is quite antiquated. But it's not a definition.

Someone already explained: "fleet dumping" = "purposely overbuilding, then selling to Hertz and Avis at a greatly reduced price in order to drive sales up." That does not happen with commercial and governmental fleet buyers who have actual budgets.

EDIT: Basically what akirby said at the exact same time as me. :hi5:

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

fleet sales ... by definition

"Fleet" - 'a group of ... vehicles .. that are ... owned by one company'

"sale" - 'the transfer of ownership of and title to property from one person to another for a price'

'Fleet' is a modifier that specifies the nature of the 'property' found in the definition of 'sale'

Ergo:

"Fleet sales" 'the transfer of ownership of and title to a group of vehicles from one person to another for a price'

I certainly don't see anything in that definition about lower profits.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

If there's any kind of discounts for fleet sales, it's more of a bulk order discount rather than a per unit discount which means profit margin takes less of a hit.

Ford offers both per unit discounts and tiered volume discounts for fleet sales. Here's the list of per unit discount for commercial fleet sales http://www.fleet.ford.com/edms/content?chronicleId=0900cad982ac4a26and here is the bulk order discount program http://www.fleet.ford.com/edms/content?chronicleId=0900cad9807d63bd

(if the second link doesn't work go to http://www.fleet.ford.com/orders/incentives/and click on Commercial Fleet Advantage Program - CFAP

I'm sure that similar discounts are offered to limo companies, taxicab operators, rental car firms, governments, etc. These price concessions are why fleet sales are less profitable than retail sales.

Edited by rperez817

Ford offers both per unit discounts and tiered volume discounts for fleet sales. Here's the list of per unit discount for commercial fleet sales http://www.fleet.ford.com/edms/content?chronicleId=0900cad982ac4a26and here is the bulk order discount program http://www.fleet.ford.com/edms/content?chronicleId=0900cad9807d63bd

(if the second link doesn't work go to http://www.fleet.ford.com/orders/incentives/and click on Commercial Fleet Advantage Program - CFAP

I'm sure that similar discounts are offered to limo companies, taxicab operators, rental car firms, governments, etc. These price concessions are why fleet sales are less profitable than retail sales.

You used a key word: less. There's still money to be made and its a part of doing business in the auto industry (unless you're Honda). Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Correct,

Transit MSRP is up around $31,600, so with that $1.500 national fleet discount,

that's still around $30K minimum to the fleet customer.....diesel is a $6K option.

GM replaced its Express 150/250 production with Colorado/Canyon..

The Colorado starts at $20,055 but we know the majority sold are crew cab V6s,

so that even a 4WD crew cab long box starts below $29K... that's before incentives.

Dismissing the value fleet sales out of hand is very short sighted....

True fleet dumping where factories deliberately over build to increase manager bonuses

and then dump into daily rentals has not occurred at GM, Ford or FCA for the last 8-10 years,

The real reason for GM's retreating from daily rental sales was because of the lack of interest

in buying outdated vehicles, the only way GM could make a profit was to sell those superseded

Impala Limited and Classic Cruze and Classic Malibus to fleets, GM's cost base is just too high.

Edited by jpd80

• 2 weeks later...

Bzzt. Please cite the source for this definition in which a fleet sale IS less profitable than a retail sale. (Psst: You know fleet sales include more than rental agencies, right?)