Bill steps down from CEO post

DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. announced Tuesday that Bill Ford is stepping down as chief executive but will remain chairman of the troubled automaker.

Alan Mulally, previously executive vice president of Boeing Co. and president and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes, has been named president and CEO at Ford.

link edited by staff

http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.php?cate...2_articleid=369

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was ANYONE in Product Development, I'd be updating my resume if I were you. This guy didn't used to build cars, he built mil/aero products, like I used to build tanks. And you're 100% wrong Rich, Tanks are WAY harder to build than cars, have you ever heard of Mil-Spec and Defense Acquisition practices? I thought not...

Good Old Boys Network --> :rip:

Its all over now, Change or Die, they took the Change...

The Chinese can't compete with competent systems design, look for a different "GPDS" around the next 12-18 months.

This is akin to HFII taking the Whiz Kids in post-WWII. This is the "Army of One" I keep talking about...

Five years from now, Ford WILL be the #1 engineering place to be once again, thank god I'm getting out now!!! I can't wait to come back!!!

In the meantime, yeah, anyone with engineer in their title, or a direct supervisor of anyone with engineer in their title, yeah, get out now, cause white collar separation is a bitch...

Mulally holds bachelor’s and master’s of science degrees in aeronautical and astronautical engineering from the University of Kansas, and earned a master’s in management from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Good move, Bill. Let's get some engineers running the show :happy feet:

I think this is a good outsider to bring in. It's not like they scoured the financial industry and brought in someone who has run hedge funds. Airplane development is HUGELY complex, expensive and aggressive with millions of parts and often thousands of suppliers. Coordinating the engineering and, more importantly, the BUSINESS of developing supplier relationships, product specifications and predicting future market trends is a massive job. What all the nay-sayers about the new guy fail to mention when they talk about the "generous" 6 to 7 year lead times of airplane development is that if you screw up - you're screwed; making it a high-pressure product environment. You don't just try to match your competition - you try to cream them (see the 787). Bringing that kind of experience in might be key to making sure product development at Ford continues in the style of the Fusion and Edge. And ultimately, it will be that kind of product development that saves Ford.

Although I have no doubt that it will be difficult for him to convince industry hard-liners and old school auto workers that he is the right man, I believe that only an outside perspective will be a "bold" enough move to save this company. Quality products, controlled costs. I think he can deliver both.

This is nothing but good news. I do not think there is a better person to head up Ford right now.

After the turn around Alan generated at Boeing and the lessons and the took from the Peterson Days at Ford.

This can only be good news.

Glad to see Bill was smart ehough to realize that he alone did not have the stuff to move Ford in the direction it needs to go. Takes a big man to realize he does not have the skills to do it, and requires out side help. Obviuosly Ford's prosperity is important enough to Bill that he will do what it takes to achieve it, even if it means stepping down from being the top dog and turning the reins over to some one else. I see nothign but good times ahead after the transition period.

We seen what you could do at Boeing Allan, lets see the same or better performance at Ford.

Now maybe we can see some more of Billy on the tube to counter some of those goofy Dr Z ads.

Matthew

Will Mulally get "Bunkied" by Mark Fields's people?

Is he just a place holder while "Waiting for Ghosn?"

See advice for Mulally on the blog http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/2006/09/ala...rd-at-ford.html

Good Doctor:

Methinks you're the Speedzzter.

The Walkabout gave you away.

Good advice though and you have a knowledge of Ford much greater and deeper than most here.

If I'm wrong, nevermind.

Will Mulally get "Bunkied" by Mark Fields's people?

Is he just a place holder while "Waiting for Ghosn?"

See advice for Mulally on the blog http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/2006/09/ala...rd-at-ford.html

Nice advice. Loved the advice to spend two days visiting dealerships every week.

I'm sure, what with his CEO type duties, his schedule will be wide open for the kind of deep meaningful insights that come from hearing "well, my car was due for the 15,000 mile maintenance, and so here I am. I wish it wasn't so expensive, since the warranty requires it. At least this place has cookies while I wait to pick the car up, and nice coffee. I hear they don't let the sales reps drink this coffee, at least that's what a guy told me. So what's your car here for? Oh, the CEO. Listen, I really wanna give kudos to Stan, the sales rep over there--did a stand up job selling me this car. If anyone deserves a pat on tha back it's him."

All in all, our blogger has assigned 2 days per week to visiting Ford dealerships, a day a week on the shop floors, a day a week with the engineers, and most weekends at Ford events. Gee. So what two days a week does Mr. Mulally do his CEO work? Oh, that's right, being a CEO is not demanding at all. Because they don't actually do the legwork that keeps the company running, their job could be compressed into a pair of 8-hour workdays, and the rest of the time can be spent 'keeping it 'real'.

Edited by RichardJensen

Bill junior needs to respected and thanked for making this move.

It shows a lot of guts, pretty difficult when you are in the limelight and under the microscope of the public, because your last name is Ford. It shows he puts the long term interest of the company ahead of his ego. Bravo!

Edited by Bluecon

Bill junior needs to respected and thanked for making this move.

It shows a lot of guts, pretty difficult when you are in the limelight and under the microscope of the public, because your last name is Ford. It shows he puts the long term interest of the company ahead of his ego. Bravo!

The best show of respect from you, and others on the board that have pushed criticism of Bill Ford past all sense, would be an acknowledgement that this move is characteristic of the man.

What a surprise! Mullaly did preside over Boeing's resurgence in the Commercial Airplane biz. However, somebody did point out that a lot of out-sourcing happened. I have expected that, if the blind adherance to the disastrous globalization agenda persists, Ford will end up a badge and marketing arm for Chinese manufactures. This is liable to hasten that future.

Mulally finagled $3.2 billion in tax breaks on the backs of Washington taxpayers to locate 7E7 production (or rather final assembly) in Washington State - which is expected to generate between 800 and 1200 new jobs (in other words, Washington taxpayers paid between $2.6 million and $4 million for each of those jobs).

It should be interesting times ahead for Ford, but a word of advice for Michigan taxpayers: If you drop your soap in the shower, leave it lie.

".....He noted that Mulally had applied many of the lessons from Ford's success in developing the Taurus to Boeing's creation of the revolutionary Boeing 777 airliner......"

So, Boeing was losing commercial airline sales and he studied Fords stunning success with the Taurus and applied it to Boeing to Make the Dreamliner 777 and then Ford hires him to fix the company who killed the Taurus which he studied and built his turnaround portfolio around and will now sell "His Keen Insight back to Ford!

I LOVE IT!

FORD, how about a BOLD MOVE and learn from your own company and vehicle history. Look at what made the Models best sellers in their segment and do it. If Mulally can do that for you than good move.

The best show of respect from you, and others on the board that have pushed criticism of Bill Ford past all sense, would be an acknowledgement that this move is characteristic of the man.

When he backs off and proves this is not a Detroit Lions move I will have much more respect.

Even Henry the first who I have the greatest respect for messed up. It is a Ford tradition for the Fords to mess up, the company. I offered an olive branch and still you attack. I wish the Ford Motor Company the greatest success.

I don't hate Billl Ford Junior, I hate what he has done to the company.

Edited by Bluecon

When he backs off and proves this is not a Detroit Lions move I will have much more respect.

Even Henry the first who I have the greatest respect for messed up. It is a Ford tradition for the Fords to mess up, the company. I offered an olive branch and still you attack. I wish the Ford Motor Company the greatest success.

Bluecon, your behavior here makes any olive branch highly suspicious. I particularly like the sub-moronic "ostriches" crap when you have nothing to debate with. You're a poor loser, and, I feel, incapable of ever being any kind of winner.

Why should anyone here assume you're doing anything but the latest in a long string of "spin" moves?