Report: Mercury to stay

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to eliminate Mercury. Redundant with Ford's hardware or not, it's still a brand that captures import and other non-Ford buyers who would otherwise not consider a Ford-branded product. As long as Ford is the truck king, it will not be able to completely tap the sophisticated urban market with its cheaper products.

Most importantly, Lincoln needs Mercury for the dealers to stay in business.

At the moment, Mercury just needs more products. The Grand Marquis needs a serious makeover to get in line with the new Mercury design cues, and also to move up to fill the departing Lincoln Town Car's slot. They need a D3 crossover. They need a convertible. They basically need to expand their range of models to take advantage of hot markets right now.

Here's my issues:

1. Mercury has come under severe fire-and buyer apathy-for the too-obvious "gussied-up Fords". I'd hope for the brand to take the lead with styling too bold for Ford's management, so the less-polarizing vehicles can stay in Ford dealerships and Mercury gets to be "daring".

2. The end of that article is chilling to an old Merc fan...just run it badly 'til it's cheap to kill? I'd hope the new management would have a better plan and more ambition than that!

3. Global chassis-sharing could be tested with Mercury on models like the S-Max (I'll keep putting that hint in every time I can!) and maybe the upcoming Aussie stuff that couldn't come here in huge quantities anyway.

In Mercury's best year ever, they had not a single product that was not a Ford with a different grille.

1986, you had, what?

Lynx, Topaz, Capri, Sable, Grand Marquis, Colony Park?

OKAY, you got me. The Topaz and Sable had different C pillars, and the Capri had a different hatch. But still....

When did Mercury ever have something Ford didn't?

I insist that Mercury only makes sense when it's a classy Ford. The brand is simply not deep enough to support anything else.

If you want Mercury, bring Euro Fords over as Mercurys like Mondeo and S-Max.

Not MERKURS (don't get me started on that), Mercury.

Lose the waterfall emblem as well. Have the Mercury godhead.

Or if you kill Mercury (I couldn't care either way), take the interior packages and put them in Fords. I prefer those over the Ford ones.

Just my 2 cents.

In Mercury's best year ever, they had not a single product that was not a Ford with a different grille.

1986, you had, what?

Lynx, Topaz, Capri, Sable, Grand Marquis, Colony Park?

OKAY, you got me. The Topaz and Sable had different C pillars, and the Capri had a different hatch. But still....

I insist that Mercury only makes sense when it's a classy Ford. The brand is simply not deep enough to support anything else.

The original Mercury Cougar, while derivative of the Mustang shared no body panels and had a longer wheel base. The full size Mercs of the early to mid'60s had unique bodies including the Breezeway roof that was never available on Ford cars. Throughout its best years Mercury cars had substantially more luxurious interiors than their Ford sisters.

In the last few years the only Merc only cars have been the Capri roadster and Cougar coupe, both of which were poorly executed and marketed.

I would like to see Merc stay as a mid-premium brand with some real improvement that is possible. If that means bringing over some European or Aussie product, that's fine.

I don't think there is a 'mid-premium' market anymore.

However, the fact that so many car buffs still think there is, is a tribute to the lingering effect of such brands as Buick and Mercury.

'Entry level' luxury products have erased the gap between the everyday and the luxurious.

The opportunity for the Mercurys is to present a combination of exclusivity and entry-level pricing. Expensive looking finishes, and fine detailing, plus the scarcity of Mercury dealerships, offers you a chance to go the semi-snob route. The 'Lincoln on a Ford budget' route.

I don't think there is a 'mid-premium' market anymore.

However, the fact that so many car buffs still think there is, is a tribute to the lingering effect of such brands as Buick and Mercury.

'Entry level' luxury products have erased the gap between the everyday and the luxurious.

The opportunity for the Mercurys is to present a combination of exclusivity and entry-level pricing. Expensive looking finishes, and fine detailing, plus the scarcity of Mercury dealerships, offers you a chance to go the semi-snob route. The 'Lincoln on a Ford budget' route.

Problem is Lincoln has no current snob appeal.

Matthew

"I don't think there is a 'mid-premium' market anymore."

You're probably right. But maybe 'mid-premium' from Honda's point of view is the Accord Coupe and 6-cylinder Acuras, with the V-6 RL as their premium offering? Maybe Mercedes 4 and 6 cyl sleds are mid, and V-8's premium? The 3 series seems to go from entry-level premium to premium.

1986, you had, what? Lynx, Topaz, Capri, Sable, Grand Marquis, Colony Park?

1986 Mercury / Ford exterior comparos (no interiors since I never sat in one)

Lynx – OK, not much difference, but this was the cheapest car in the line. So what DID you get for buying Mercury's el cheapo? Um, how about a different grille and taillights? :lol:

Topaz – Carried the more formal, squared roof and blank c-pillar that became a Mercury trademark in the 80’s. Side panels had different creases.

Capri – Squared-off blacked-out front end (completely different from Mustang), bubble hatch glass, and unique quarter-glass trim panel.

Sable – Sleeker C-panel, sleeker quarter panel, different side panels. Basically everything behind the front clip was different, not even the doors were the same. The Sable’s body panel differences actually gave it a lower drag coefficient than the Taurus, and looked quite a bit different. Had that light-up grille, too…

Marquis / Marquis Brougham – The axed Fox LTD enjoys one last year as a Mercury Exclusive…

Grand Marquis / GM Colony Park – The same as a CV, just as they always were and still are.

COUGAR – looked almost nothing like the Thunderbird. No body panels save the hood, doors and fenders were shared.

One extra thing Mercury also had going for it in the mid-late 80’s was a unification of styling cues across the line. Formalized roofs vs. their Ford counterparts, for one. Monochromatic trim options (unheard of at the time). Light-up block grilles where applicable. Consistent “fade-to-black” treatments on the taillights. These ideas lasted most of the way through the mid-nineties; Mercury has not had either a consistent nor unique look to itself since.

Today, the differences are: grille, headlights, taillights. Oh, and badges. And let’s not forget the “exclusive colors and interior trim”! Wow. As others have said, shouldn’t those just be options on a Ford? :shrug: (although, credit where due: the Mountaineer looks exceptionally nice).

But there IS a Mercury division following that same MO of the glory days of 20 years ago. It still operates today. They call it "Lincoln".

Edited by goingincirclez

I think Mercury should start rebadging some Mazdas in their lineup as well. A mercury RX-8/Miata/CX-7 would be pretty cool and the showroom wouldnt look like rebadged Fords.

I dont really see a reason NOT to do this.

That Mercury Villager was a sure winner. Their motto could be "Mercury, the best rebadging company in the USA". Yes, let's totally confuse the public about its identity...jackass.

Want to save Mercury? Then make the damn Meta One already!

alt01.jpg

No more bland designs, yeah right, this from the company that keeps amazing concepts like the Iosis, Meta One, Super Chief, and probably Reflex out of production.

Edited by JM

I took a friend car browsing today. We stopped at the Ford dealer first. We looked at Mustangs. Just as we got there they were unloading a 2007 Mustang GT in black with the new hood scoop. Now that was an exciting car. A look in the back seat and no room for legs at all. It didn't deter me however from wanting it. Realistically, I was only interested in the V6 models because that is in my budget range. But the dealer didn't have a good selection. Looking around at other models, the Fusion was okay but not exciting... Nothing else was interesting. We left...

I saw a VW Eos for the first time today. Nice car but it's $35,000 with that retractable hardtop. Still, why couldn't Ford bring over the Focus Cabriolet as a competitor to give Mercury something unique to sell here.

We looked at GTI's... It stirred emotion for my friend as he had been looking at them for several months. After examining it I was impressed. My friend ended up buying one.... However it's a shame that the Focus doesn't generate excitement like that for us.

There are only two cars that I really like right now and that's the Mustang and the Saturn Sky. I suppose the now defunct Thunderbird still excites me but I don't ever see it happening, and I'd rather have a new four seat version with a back seat.

So, I think Mercury could use a Focus Carbrio, A new Cougar either retro or Messenger styled.... Or position the Cougar as a roomy four seater and have a two-seat Messenger...

Mercury was on the ropes in the late 50's, but Edsel died instead and the 1960's Comet saved them. Then the Cougar gave the brand an identity, jsut that the cat went from sporty to luxoboat and back.

Another time Merc was on the skids was 1980-81, but then Grand Marq sales took off when Reagan-omics took hold. Big car buyers got used to the 1980's sticker prices, but cheap gas helped sales. Also, GM's FWD Caddies and Buicks too.

Edited by 630land

Want to save Mercury? Then make the damn Meta One already!

alt01.jpg

No more bland designs, yeah right, this from the company that keeps amazing concepts like the Iosis, Meta One, Super Chief, and probably Reflex out of production.

I really like the Meta One (except for the name) I think that car would really appeal to Mercury's demographic. (Hot moms who wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan). I can see Jill Wagner driving this. Hey FORD! Just build it already with the 3.5 and 6 speed.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

Grand Marquis / GM Colony Park – The same as a CV, just as they always were and still are.

From 79 thur to 91 the CV GM shared the same doors and roof bits but that was all. the rear quarters back fill panel and front clip were different. The sheet metal did not interchange it looks like they do but in fact there are differances.

The 92-97 GM CV did not share the same green house front clip, rear quarters or back fill panel. The GM had the more formal squared off roof line and again there were subtle differances in the front clip and rear sheet metal. . The GM roof line is the one currently in use on the CV not the orginal 92 CV one.

It is only since 2003 that the GM & CV are completly badge enginered and share all the same sheet metal

Matthew

I know I'll get some (Richard) resistance to this, but here we go:

Maybe, with all the people on all the sites calling Mercury a fine place display Euro Fords, it's more than a passing fancy? I've seen this basic idea for YEARS...and it adds up in some ways.

1. The vehicles wouldn't have to be in "Ford" quantities, so limited capacity wouldn't be a big deal. In fact, exclusitivity could be a boon, value-wise...

2. "Economics of Scale" would certainly be a possible plus if vehicles like the S-MAX were designed with "all of Western World" sales potential were factored in early.

3. If there's a more logical potential vehicle than the Focus HTC for Jill Wagner to be driving around in, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm not proposing full-line replacement, just strategic augmentation will vehicles that are much more interesting than the Montereys and Grand Marquis offerings of recent years.

Maybe, with all the people on all the sites calling Mercury a fine place display Euro Fords, it's more than a passing fancy? I've seen this basic idea for YEARS...and it adds up in some ways.

I also agree with this in principle. However, there's that nasty little legacy of them trying this before. You know, back when they dropped the "y" and changed the "c" to a "k".... Not to mention the botching of the 70's Euro and 90's Aussie Capris. Ford doesn't have a good track record with this.

OTOH, it's been a long time. If at first you don't succeed... If they were smarter about it now, they could pull it off. Sort of how GM is taking Opels and turing them into Saturns (tho how that will turn out is yet to be written).

Man, when I first saw it, I didn't care for the Meta One concept... but boy does it look good now. Don't know what changed but if they redid the Freestyle to look like that, I'd have one.

Edited by goingincirclez

What's that line in the Eagles song?

'seems to me some fine things have been laid upon your table, but you only want the ones you can't get'

The desire for Euro Fords is, IMO, directly related to their inaccessibility. There's only so many excuses you can make for the failure of the U.S. public to accept Euro cars from domestic brands (and Mercury is still squarely in the 'domestic brand' category), before you realize that the idea is marginal at best.

BTW, saw a black Fiesta today.

The desire for Euro Fords is, IMO, directly related to their inaccessibility. There's only so many excuses you can make for the failure of the U.S. public to accept Euro cars from domestic brands (and Mercury is still squarely in the 'domestic brand' category), before you realize that the idea is marginal at best.

Definetely agree with you on that point. And simply looking at photos of the nifty-neato S-Max & Focus which are pretty much everything our current Freestar & Focus aren't: stylish, attractive, and class-leading, simply whet the appetite.

However, I think there could be a real movement afoot that could allow for European designs to be sold in the US. Small car sales are increasing, "apparent quality" (the design & feel of quality components in the interior of a vehicle) is starting to catch on with domestics, and the niche-ifying of the market is allowing smaller volumes of many unique vehicles to be profitable.

Plus, we have a very mixed bag of European vehicles imported here. The Saturn L-Series was a hodgepodge mess of Opel-ness & Saturn cheapness, the Contour was simply too small (both here and in the UK), yet the Focus has done well. Merkurs were too pricey and too bland, the Crossfire was too outdated, but the Mini has performed above expectations - and is generally the most crowded spot at autoshows...along with Hummer...we Americans just can't make up our minds.

Obviously, cost is the biggest issue. The weak dollar makes importing very difficult (just ask VW) but it's not as if Ford doesn't have idle factories domestically. I know it's hard to get a stoic company to jump at opportunities, but these darn "Bold Moves" commercials have been sinking into my skull.

Scott

One other item that differentiated Fords/Mercs in the 90s were it's side windows. Ford usually had 3 (front door, rear door, rear quarter) while Mercury only used 2. Ironically as a cost measure (not hard to figure out that 2 side windows are cheaper than 3) Ford started adopting the 2 side window venue.

And also, Mercury was the "clone with more chrome" during that time. Now that chrome has been in a few years, Mercury has had to shift to something different...satin-nickel.