Silverado diesel 33mpg,,,

HotRunrGuy

47 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

They would be foolish not to put this in their full size SUVs with that kind of fuel economy numbers.

So, yeah, they probably won't.

I was thinking 3.0 Duramax in Yukon and Denali for Holden in Australia, something to give Toyota Landcruiser a run for its money

Perhaps to achieve this much fuel economy required a lot of modified plumbing and hardware, but it would be super cool if they could expand the driving mode system from cars (Sport mode, economy mode, etc)  into these trucks and implement a more powerful Tow/Haul mode and a Economy DD mode.

Thus giving us the best of both worlds.

A compromise too, if they had to, design it with a little more towing capability but a little less top MPG, and give us that control over the driving mode and that would a great truck I think.

Edited by probowler

3 hours ago, probowler said:

Perhaps to achieve this much fuel economy required a lot of modified plumbing and hardware, but it would be super cool if they could expand the driving mode system from cars (Sport mode, economy mode, etc)  into these trucks and implement a more powerful Tow/Haul mode and a Economy DD mode.

Thus giving us the best of both worlds.

A compromise too, if they had to, design it with a little more towing capability but a little less top MPG, and give us that control over the driving mode and that would a great truck I think.

The change is basically taller rear axle and you'll see GM milk the superior FE numbers until others catch up 
and then magically, offer a heavy duty tow package and lower diff gears with a bit less fuel economy.

Just now, jpd80 said:

The change is basically taller rear axle and you'll see GM milk the superior FE numbers until others catch up 
and then magically, offer a heavy duty tow package and lower diff gears with a bit less fuel economy.

So it's a headline grabber, gotcha ?

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 9:23 PM, jpd80 said:

The issue is with stop start emissions but for something like an extended range EV with a tiny two cylinder diesel driving a gen set at constant rpm, I think it could work

where CAFE fails is in addressing city mileage targets and all the fuel wasted by vehicles sitting in traffic every morning and afternoon.

hybrids basically level out city and highway mileage test numbers which really doesn’t help people who do lots of flat highway miles where regen braking does not come into play. A diesel like the new Duramax is going to really shine in lightly loaded Silverados or even those that tow 5,000 to 7,000 lbs

wonder if GM is planning any new full size SUVs with 3.0 diesel. Could be a great export potential 

Sidenote not related to how the vehicles work, but governments need to look at signal programming as a means of making vehicles more efficient.  I can't tell you how many times daily I have a light I'm waiting at turn green only for the light the next block down to switch from green to red, so I have to a block and stop again.  The lights need to be programmed to coincide with one another somehow.

• Angry 1

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Sidenote not related to how the vehicles work, but governments need to look at signal programming as a means of making vehicles more efficient.  I can't tell you how many times daily I have a light I'm waiting at turn green only for the light the next block down to switch from green to red, so I have to a block and stop again.  The lights need to be programmed to coincide with one another somehow.

Not unique to your area, uncoordinated traffic lights are so infuriating. From my house to the nearest freeway on ramp is roughly three miles, the last two has eight sets of lights and some days, it feels like the traffic is a giant earth worm.  One morning, we had a power outage and I swear the traffic moved so much better..

6 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Not unique to your area, uncoordinated traffic lights are so infuriating. From my house to the nearest freeway on ramp is roughly three miles, the last two has eight sets of lights and some days, it feels like the traffic is a giant earth worm.  One morning, we had a power outage and I swear the traffic moved so much better..

Driver education is another thing, but that's not happening lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

But isn’t it true that if you synchronize in one direction (stagger the changes in succession) that it does the opposite for the opposite direction?  Or were you just talking about having them change at the same time?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, akirby said:

But isn’t it true that if you synchronize in one direction (stagger the changes in succession) that it does the opposite for the opposite direction?  Or were you just talking about having them change at the same time?

If all the lights on the main route went green at once, at least the cars at the next set of lights move off too
and you might get through two or three sets of lights if you're lucky. What really ticks me off is when you get
the green and just as you move off, you see the next light go red...

23 hours ago, akirby said:

You'd have to pick a "start" intersection (presumably a downtown one) and sequence them all off of that one.  I'm not sure exactly how you'd do it, but I think it could be done better than it is now.