Chrysler Aspen luxury SUV?

Joe771476

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If history is any indication, the Aspen should do just fine. Look at the upscale Lexus, Infiniti, Caddy, and Lincoln SUV's. They are nothing more that ritzed up Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, and Ford products, right. Furthermore, they sell fairly well.

Another thing. Most folks that buy a "mainstream" vehicle look at the price of gas. However, if a guy goes in and lays down 35-50K or more on a "luxury SUV", they don't give a damn how much gas is.

So I would say that it's not a horrible move. A few trim pieces, a redesigned interior, and add 30-50% to the price.

If history is any indication, the Aspen should do just fine. Look at the upscale Lexus, Infiniti, Caddy, and Lincoln SUV's. They are nothing more that ritzed up Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, and Ford products, right. Furthermore, they sell fairly well.

Another thing. Most folks that buy a "mainstream" vehicle look at the price of gas. However, if a guy goes in and lays down 35-50K or more on a "luxury SUV", they don't give a damn how much gas is.

So I would say that it's not a horrible move. A few trim pieces, a redesigned interior, and add 30-50% to the price.

1) The Lexus, Infiniti, and Lincoln -fullsize- luxury SUVs are falling

2) The Lexus midsize SUV is also seeing declining sales

3) The Aspen is based on the Durango, hardly considered a bench mark for refinement and interior quality. The Durango is still, I believe a beast of an SUV, consisting of a SUV body dropped on a Dakota frame, with trucklike ride, etc.

4) At $33k, the Aspen starts out several grand more than the Mercury Mountaineer (its closest competitor), in fact MSRP, for what you get, is probably higher than the Mountaineer, and you get a lower quality platform for your trouble.

I just don't see this selling well at all. Especially when the best BBD&O could come up with is "decadence without the shame."

The one fault I find with your logic is that Chrysler is not a luxury brand while Lexus, Caddy, Infiniti, and Lincoln are. Chrysler is more akin to Mercury than to any luxury brand, just look at their vehicle lineup. The 300C may be the only "luxury" vehicle they sell, and realistically it doesn't sell for any more than a Toyota Avalon, not very luxury.

Hate to break it to you but moderately equipped 'mainstream' SUVs fall well within that 35 to 50K watermark. If you look at SUVs across the board, aside from those that cost as much as flagship luxury cars, they are all down. Even newer more powerfull entries from Nissan and Toyota.

Saw a commercial for this thing tonight.

It is sooooooo going down the tubes.

Cue 'ethnic' person driving through an 'ethnic' neighborhood. Plenty of shots of 'ethnic' people doing 'ethnic' things.

Voiceover in the background talking about how part of 'you' has changed, but part of 'you' is still the same (basically: you're still Jenny from the Block).

Then, cut to a shot of 'ethnic' person arriving home to a beautiful 'ethnic' family, but not just any home. It's the dream home of every urban 'ethnic' person:

a home in the suburbs that looks like its backyard fronts a country club, with another country club across the street.

KER-BOOM.

This car is Poison, people. It belongs in Greek mythology, it will leave scars on anyone that touches it.

Saw a commercial for this thing tonight.

It is sooooooo going down the tubes.

Cue 'ethnic' person driving through an 'ethnic' neighborhood. Plenty of shots of 'ethnic' people doing 'ethnic' things.

Voiceover in the background talking about how part of 'you' has changed, but part of 'you' is still the same (basically: you're still Jenny from the Block).

Then, cut to a shot of 'ethnic' person arriving home to a beautiful 'ethnic' family, but not just any home. It's the dream home of every urban 'ethnic' person:

a home in the suburbs that looks like its backyard fronts a country club, with another country club across the street.

KER-BOOM.

This car is Poison, people. It belongs in Greek mythology, it will leave scars on anyone that touches it.

Well, that makes two disgusting racists pigs that revealled their true colors on this forum in the same day. Yet another strike against you Richie.

Richard Jensen

Blind devotion to Ford Motor

Zero Objectivity

Disgusting Racist

3 strikes buddy, you're out

Yes. I admit it. You have discovered that I'm sitting here in a white sheet and hood, because I noted that a Chrysler Aspen advertisement targeted toward urban African Americans ended up in a fashion that would leave many urban African Americans either laughing, or disgusted, by Chrysler's simultaneously shameless AND clueless attempt to pander to them.

Sixcav, verily, you are a font of perceptive insights.

Edited by RichardJensen

Yes. I admit it. You have discovered that I'm sitting here in a white sheet and hood, because I noted that a Chrysler Aspen advertisement targeted toward urban African Americans ended up in a fashion that would leave many urban African Americans either laughing, or disgusted, by Chrysler's simultaneously shameless AND clueless attempt to pander to them.

Sixcav, verily, you are a font of perceptive insights.

If you think that is shameless and clueless, CLICK HERE.

I've seen Ford Fusion commericals with Funkmaster Flex targeted towards Hip Hop listeners with only "Ethnic" (as you put it so eloquently) actors in it. Targeted advertising has been around since TV began. Its a bit absurd to think Chrysler is the only company that targets advertising.

I guess the Fusion is going down the tubes now?

C'mon Richard. :doh:

Edited by Intrepidatious

Hate to break it to you but moderately equipped 'mainstream' SUVs fall well within that 35 to 50K watermark. If you look at SUVs across the board, aside from those that cost as much as flagship luxury cars, they are all down. Even newer more powerfull entries from Nissan and Toyota.

You have a point, but follow this. If they have to drop the "sticker" prices on these items, all they will have to do with the Aspen is drop the price all the way down to the Durango sticker, which gets them still making money off of the product.

I think the SUV sales went down as gas prices went up. The gas prices are heading back down again and, from what I have read, this is not a temporary thing. It looks like the oil prices are going to continue to drop, which should have a positive effect on SUV sales.

Chrysler is not a luxury brand, I get that, but the base price is around 32K, which isn't terribly more than the Durango. I don't know if, option for option, it's north of the Mercury or not. The Aspen is hitting the streets pretty well loaded, isn't it?

If you think that is shameless and clueless, CLICK HERE.

I've seen Ford Fusion commericals with Funkmaster Flex targeted towards Hip Hop listeners with only "Ethnic" (as you put it so eloquently) actors in it. Targeted advertising has been around since TV began. Its a bit absurd to think Chrysler is the only company that targets advertising.

I guess the Fusion is going down the tubes now?

C'mon Richard. :doh:

I've trashed that website before too. I would especially like to know what the AFA would think of it, if they ever caught wind of it.

The point of criticizing Chrysler's targeted advertising, or the hopelessly tacky "grownandsexy.com" website is that they are so patenty, obviously, and inappropriately targeting a certain consumer class that has, in the past, been the victim of widespread stereotyping (to put it mildly) and which even today suffers from perceptions that the group is largely homogenous in tastes and preferences.

The damage that can be done by crappy advertising directed at African Americans should not be underestimated, and should act as a check on decisions that seem to be close to the borderline.

--

Ford, with the new Navigator, has a commercial that it will be airing where Dwayne Wade gives a inner-city basketball coach a new Navigator, and rides off into the sunset. There is also an F150 commercial where an African American fixes up a local barbershop.

These commercials work, as far as that goes, because they tell 'stories' that are universal, in a familiar setting for certain viewers.

Commercials that try and say, "hey, we get it, we're cool like you", do more harm than good.

For a product that is already suffering from a terribly confused image campaign (guilt-free indulgence, "decadence without the shame"), and which is entering a segment that is rapidly losing sales, this does not help. And, to boot, it looks quite overpriced next to the new Expy, which starts out in the $29k range.

The Aspen is hitting the streets pretty well loaded, isn't it?

Nope. The only standard feature worth commenting on is the rear parking assist

Edited by RichardJensen

Nice try Richie. You're back peddling so fast if you're not careful you'll trip and do a somersault. If this was your point all along then why didn't you just say so in the first place? Why didn't you just say "Hey I saw this aspen commercial that was clearly trageted at black Americans and I think it was shameful and tacky and black Americans will probably be put off by it."

But you didn't say that did you. No instead we got a whole post of "ethnic" this and "ethnic" that. A clever use of verbage to cover up what you really wanted to say. And what you really were saying was quite obvious. Tell me Richie, when you say "Plenty of shots of "ethnic" people doing "ethnic" things." exactly what are those things?

I knew there was something about you man. You know sometimes you just get that little itch in your head when it comes to a certain person. You just get a feeling from their demeanor, from the way they conduct and present themselves, even here where it's only text it shines through. That little vibe that tells you "I don't like this guy for some reason." and I just couldn't put my finger on it. But it's starting to get a lot clearer now Richie. You cleared up some things with that whole post for me. My instincts have never failed me and they didn't this time. If being like you is what it is to be a true blue Ford guy, I'm proud to say I'm not one.

I reread Richard's post and all I saw was an observation. I was not offended and I didn't see it as a racist in the least. I also saw the commercial and i didn't see it as any form of exploitation. All they are doing is focusing on their marketing target.

Harley does this all the time, don't they? Showing you that you can't get laid or even get a date unless you ride a Harley. Ford and GM both show you to be a pansy unless you drive one of their trucks. In the Aspen commcercial, they are doing the commercial within the context of the black community, but it's the same ole thing..."if you buy this, you are now part of the crowd...the higher level crowd."

While the commercial and Richard's observation do point out race, directly or indirectly, that in and of itself is not racism.

Edited by bec5150

I also saw the commercial and i didn't see it as any form of exploitation. All they are doing is focusing on their marketing target.

What I thought was hopelessly clueless was how the commercial ended up at a $500k McMansion in the 'burbs.

If you're trying to reach people that live in rural South Dakota, you don't show 28 seconds worth of your vehicle at the elevator, on the farm, in front of the local cafe, only to spend the last 2 seconds showing the vehicle pulling up to a dance club in a big city.

And, that, more or less, is what Chrysler did here. It's not about race as such, as much as it's about failing to understand the community, the demographic, you're trying to reach.

But race does enter into it, in that the misunderstood demographic happens to be one of the most thoroughly stereotyped demographics in the U.S. (right up there with "hillbillies"), and that showing a bunch of stereotypical images (the big rottweilers, etc.), but failing to grasp the context, can be taken as showing that the agency (and the client) have an undestanding that has largely been formed by stereotypes.

Edited by RichardJensen

I did not find Richard's remarks racist at all. I think he was just being PC.

A bit Ford-biased in not mentioning any other company's marketing tactics? Yes (but then again, what is the name of this website?).

Racist? No.

I suppose I could've mentioned the Ford 'grownandsexy.com' website, but I didn't think of it--I was just appalled by the thoroughly inappropriate ending to the commercial (sort of 'aren't you glad you're rich enough to move to white-bread America where it's safe').

BTW, it was tongue-in-cheek PC, at least the 'ethnic' part. Caps African American after that, well that was being PC, I'll admit it, I'm not a big fan of causing unintentional offense.

Edited by RichardJensen

I suppose I could've mentioned the Ford 'grownandsexy.com' website, but I didn't think of it--I was just appalled by the thoroughly inappropriate ending to the commercial (sort of 'aren't you glad you're rich enough to move to white-bread America where it's safe').

BTW, it was tongue-in-cheek PC, at least the 'ethnic' part. Caps African American after that, well that was being PC, I'll admit it, I'm not a big fan of causing unintentional offense.

I understood what you were getting at. Unfortunately, it seems every last word that is spoken seems to be overanalyzed these days.

I like the looks of the Aspen. And although the name Aspen brings back "bad cars" memories for some of you,the name Aspen for me causes me to remember a "first time" experience in the back seat of an Aspen. So I like the name.

I like the lookms better than the Durango, it is not as angular. I am not a fan of Jelly bean design, but I also don't like stark angles either. It is too much money though.

As A Chrysler owner, I see the company going down the tubes and wonder what will happen once they get there. The Aspen is a veiled attempt at gaining sales in an already dying market segment. Vehicles like the Caliber and Compass are "good" but can't carry the whole load to profitability. BTW, Chrysler has always been the more luxurious division in the MoPar family. Especially since the Imperial was cancelled. It is not on par with Cadillac completely, but is their luxo model just the same. Look back in history at all the Chrysler models to see what I mean. Choosing Aspen for a name is akin to all the other suv and trucks names out there linked to cities and states that are a part of the great, big outdoors. Cordoba is a cool sort of faux luxo name, but Aspen conveys something else. Too bad it was once hung on two of the most re-called cars in automotive history, the Volare/Aspens of the 70's and 80's.

The "10 easy steps.." was great! Mopar brass are going 'just wait till our new stuff comes". Like what?? Sebring and Avenger maybe?

The Durangos are collecting dust, with 0% stickers, and the Aspen is like the K car New Yorkers, just a chrome grille on a Dodge. I predict it will be dropped within 3 years, quietly like 'it never happened'.

The first Caddy Escalade was little more than a Tahoo with a Caddy crest on the grill. GM did it to test the waters. The market was there so GM went "full tilt" with it. Next, the Lincoln Navigator, essentially the same formula, a ritzed up Expy. Nowadays, both have separated themselves from their poorer brothers.

It will be interesting to see if there is enough interest to warrant a full on Aspen. I think we all agree that this model is little more than a styling excersise, but it's low cost and it will determine if there is interest or not, like the Caddy and Lincolns. We'll see...

Edited by bec5150