Int'l Van of the Year Award 2007 - Ford

The new Ford Transit is 'International van of the Year 2007'. The 'Van of the Year' jury, which comprises an independent panel of leading commercial vehicle journalists representing 19 European countries, awarded the new Ford Transit the 2007 trophy. During the award ceremony that took place during this year's Commercial Vehicle Show at Hanover, John Fleming, President and CEO, Ford of Europe, accepted the trophy that was presented by Pieter Wieman, Chairman of the IVOTY jury. (09/19/2006)

now available with AWD.

WKA2006091861510_pv.jpgWKA2006091955504_pv.jpg

Edited by range

I dont think Ford will ever bring it to the US. The Ford E-Series is as well established in the commercial sector in North America then the Ford Transit has In Europe. The E-Series will be getting a proper makeober soon that may adopt some of the Transits lines, maybe not as Fusion looking, not to damage its image..

Ford is a pussy.

They are very Fearful of change. and this is the reason they are the #3 maker in the world.

the olny reason the E-seres is still aroound is because there has been 0 real comnpetition to take market share form it. this is Ford's last dominant segment, and like everything else it will end.

• 3 weeks later...

your crack suppier is selling you bad stuff...

the e-series is dominant, becuase its the only real truck based van in the market. they live foever, and are cheap. ford would be stupid as usual to make sweping changes to the e-series, as with the panther platform, industry likes the familiar dimensions. as do the customers.

that little euro-box might sell as a sideline, but would seriously sour the typical trades-based buyers really quick

your crack supplier is selling you bad stuff...

the e-series is dominant, because its the only real truck based van in the market. they live forever, and are cheap. ford would be stupid as usual to make sweeping changes to the e-series, as with the panther platform, industry likes the familiar dimensions. as do the customers.

that little euro-box might sell as a sideline, but would seriously sour the typical trades-based buyers really quick

GM offers a truck based van and also offers drivers side cargo doors. I love Ford vans and wish they had the drivers side doors, too. Maybe the 08 E Series "update" will get'em...

Chevrolet-Express.jpg

drivers side cargo doors.

Cargo doors that open into traffic are good?

Seriously, I'm guessing that the bulk of E-Series volume is chassis cabs, cutaways, and chassis-only vehicles, and that as such, retention of the existing van's dimensions and durability are more important than considerations such as the popularity of the Transit in other countries (for instance, I'm not sure that you can buy a chassis only Transit).

Once again, I am at a loss to figure out why it should be assumed (as it is so frequently assumed here), that products Ford does NOT sell in the U.S. are inherently better suited to the U.S. market than products that are.

Ford should federalize the Transit if doing so becomes necessary to profitably utilize Ohio Assembly. However, given that E-Series volume is what it was a decade ago (neither much more, nor much less), one wonders what would be accomplished by trying to push change on the market. As yet the Sprinter does not even match Ram volume from 2000, as E-series volume is largely unchanged during that period.

Edited by RichardJensen

GM offers a truck based van and also offers drivers side cargo doors. I love Ford vans and wish they had the drivers side doors, too. Maybe the 08 E Series "update" will get'em...

Chevrolet-Express.jpg

Ford used to offer driver's side doors on the original Econoline in the '60s. I believe they were the first to do so since the Econoline beat both GM and Dodge to market. I can't remember if the option was abandoned in the first Econoline restyling in '68 or the second in '75.

Cargo doors that open into traffic are good?

Not necessarily for "cargo", but rear driver's side "passenger" doors (sliding and/or swing-out) would be great for letting the kids out in a parking lot without having to walk around to the other side of the van. ;)

Ford used to offer driver's side doors on the original Econoline in the '60s. I believe they were the first to do so since the Econoline beat both GM and Dodge to market. I can't remember if the option was abandoned in the first Econoline restyling in '68 or the second in '75.

They sure did. I almost got one off EBay one time for $800 but got outbid at the last second. It was a straight, no rust, 64 (IIRC) Econoline Falcon window van with the drivers side doors and everything. Would have been perfect for a resto-rod project! I still kick myself for being so cheap.