SCHOOLS AROUND DEARBORN

6,4,3--2 down

Thinking about transfering to Dearborn. What are the BEST schools around ( 30-40 mile radius from Dearborn)? School system and student's test scores will be my deciding factor if we move. I started to research, and found Northville schools. How are they? Any more around? I don't want to drive to far to work, maybe the maximum of 30-40 miles. Thanks.

Did you not like Dearborn schools? Northville is a little drive, can't elaborate on their schools though. The biggest thing is your involvement with the kids on a day to day to make sure they are doing what they need to, either keeping up, exceeding, etc., only you can know what they are gaining, from any school district. The materials they recieve should be in-line with their age,as well as their abilities, this is something you can be involved with. My son has always been 2yrs ahead in reading, and it took my involvement to make sure he was learning at his pace and not neccessarily that of the rest of his class. Just a thought. Maybe MI.gov has some info. Good luck either way.

Just started researching. Checked out School Matters and Great Schools web sites. Northville showed up with good test scores. Dearborn was not on list, maybe wasn't looking in right place. Any specific school names, that would help. Wife is stay at home mom and works closely with the children. With my time off lately, I too can help W/ studies. Our involvement is not an issue. Just the school's reputation and test scores. Any more info. would be appreciated.

Garden City Schools are ok. Stay away from Inkster & Wayne schools. Depending on how much you're willing to pay for a house & property taxes. Near Dearborn the schools that are ok are, Dearborn,Livonia,Westland,Canton,Garden City,Taylor the farther you go out, the more exepensive the houses get Northville is really nice but houses can get pretty pricey out that way. $150 thousand is on the cheap side around there.

Best of luck !

Thinking about transfering to Dearborn. What are the BEST schools around ( 30-40 mile radius from Dearborn)? School system and student's test scores will be my deciding factor if we move. I started to research, and found Northville schools. How are they? Any more around? I don't want to drive to far to work, maybe the maximum of 30-40 miles. Thanks.

Here's a link to a Real Estate office that has a link to school information in Michigan. Just pick the county that you want and then the school district and it gives you pretty much all the info you want.

http://www.mrsold.com/Nav.aspx/Page=http:/...ls/Default.aspx

Canton is a very nice area. I have a friend that lives there. It is a growing city very nice. Northville is pretty expensive. Plymouth is very nice area.I live in Taylor born and raised and we are noth sure if we will send our Children to Taylor Schools. But Taylor has some nice area's.

Here's a link to a Real Estate office that has a link to school information in Michigan. Just pick the county that you want and then the school district and it gives you pretty much all the info you want.

http://www.mrsold.com/Nav.aspx/Page=http:/...ls/Default.aspx

I lived in Dearborn for over 33 years and now live minutes from AAI. I thought I got a great education. The area has grown a lot. The downtown area has many shops and restaurants. Downriver you have more land than in a city such as Dearborn. It seems as though you get more of a house for the money in places like Monroe, Flat Rock, Rockwood, and Carelton. Taxes are crazy!!

I grew up in Dearborn and graduated from Edsel Ford H.S. Back then they were one of the best (1980) Now if you want your kids to attend Dearborn Public Schools they might want to learn how to speak Arabic! The Arabs have taken over Dearborn and it is a mess! The Arabs are very arogant people and only care about other Arabs...trust me I am one! All though I was born and raised here in Michigan and realy don't even speak the language very well! I would think of another School system to enroll your kids into! :shrug: :shrug:

kids are 9 and 5. They are big into sports (baseball,football,bsaketball). Anybody know how the parks and rec. leagues are in Canton? Is there AAU or USSSA leagues?

All surrounding cities have rec leagues for kids including hockey and wrestling.You'll have no problem with getting your kids into sports.

Trenton ranks as one of the best school districts in Michigan. Wyandotte is also a good school district. They are two of the best districts in Wayne Co.

Good thing I am a Trenton High School graduate. LOL. :happy feet:

kids are 9 and 5. They are big into sports (baseball,football,bsaketball). Anybody know how the parks and rec. leagues are in Canton? Is there AAU or USSSA leagues?

Trenton has very good sports teams. Football, hockey, soccer, basketball, etc. Check it out!

Yep - Trenton is the top school in Wayne county. It's also one of the top school districts in the state. Wyandotte has really nice schools too. They rank #2 in Wayne Co.

Trenton does have good schools and sports but you will not get much house for your money. Starting prices are about $159,000 for a little over 1000 sq.ft. The taxes are around $3000 on that size house and they are red brick ranch late 1950's cookie cutters. But if sports are that important than you might make the sacrifice. By the way if you like boating the Detroit river is very close.

I grew up in Dearborn and graduated from Edsel Ford H.S. Back then they were one of the best (1980) Now if you want your kids to attend Dearborn Public Schools they might want to learn how to speak Arabic! The Arabs have taken over Dearborn and it is a mess! The Arabs are very arogant people and only care about other Arabs...trust me I am one! All though I was born and raised here in Michigan and realy don't even speak the language very well! I would think of another School system to enroll your kids into! :shrug: :shrug:

I'm an 87 graduate from DHS and my hubby is an 87 from Edsel...we now live in Flat Rock and Love IT!! Brand new highschool and rec. center. Beautiful baseball fields....something out of Field of Dreams. AAI within minutes. DTP 20 minutes away. Expensive though. Taxes ouch. You get what you pay for.

Good thing I am a Trenton High School graduate. LOL. :happy feet:

Trenton has very good sports teams. Football, hockey, soccer, basketball, etc. Check it out!

FYI....Trenton has a new 8.6 million dollar hockey rink/rec center. Also, a new(renovated) swimming pool/water park.

Trenton and Grosse Ile are both best bets, and they share resources. What's nice about "downriver" is avoiding all the horrible traffic heading into Dearborn from the west and heading back out to places like Novi, Northville, and Canton. Grosse Ile schools are all A+, by the way. Housing ranges from tiny little homes to huge mansions ... just an awesome community to raise kids. Hockey, soccer, baseball, equestrian, all huge on the island.