Payload vs GVWR

AggieDad

I've used the search function and haven't found a clear answer for this.   If there's another thread that speaks to it, please point me in that direction.   I don't want anyone redoing work.   

Here's my question:   From a legal standpoint, (liability, licensing, etc), does the payload limit on the yellow tire loading and payload sticker carry the same weight as the white GVWR and GAWR limits?   How do the Ford engineers think of the limits on the yellow sticker?  Same as the limits on the white sticker or different?

The white sticker with the GVWR and GAWR are the "legal" limits of the vehicle.  The tire sticker payload rating is the GVWR minus the weight of the vehicle as delivered from the factory with full fuel.  It doesn't account for any other accessories you may have added.  The tire information is also included on the white sticker, but doesn't have the spare listed (if applicable).  If you are concerned about exceeding your GVWR, you should take to a CAT scale loaded with all passengers, cargo, and full fuel.

Thank you both.   

@Flying68 - I'm not concerned with exceeding GVWR, I'm concerned with exceeding Payload.   However, you just said something that's different that I've been thinking.   The payload value "includes" a full tank of fuel?   That's great news!   I've been subtracting a full tank of fuel from the payload number.   34 gallons of diesel at 7lbs per gallon is 238 lbs of payload I've been subtracting from the yellow sticker.

3 hours ago, AggieDad said:

Thank you both.   

@Flying68 - I'm not concerned with exceeding GVWR, I'm concerned with exceeding Payload.   However, you just said something that's different that I've been thinking.   The payload value "includes" a full tank of fuel?   That's great news!   I've been subtracting a full tank of fuel from the payload number.   34 gallons of diesel at 7lbs per gallon is 238 lbs of payload I've been subtracting from the yellow sticker.

Essentially they are the same (other than the fuel part) limit.  If you exceed your payload rating (with full fuel) you will exceed your GVWR unless you have removed factory installed equipment (like seats).  GVWR = (Dry Weight + Fuel and Oil) + Payload Rating.  The dry weight is determined by the factory as it rolls off the line somewhere.  They take that dry weight, add in the standard value for full fuel weight and subtract that from the GVWR to get your payload that is printed on the yellow sticker.  If you read in the owners manual it never mentions fuel when discussing payload, only passengers, cargo, and other equipment you may have installed after the fact.

I think payload is about not having too much tongue or 5th wheel weight.  In a serious accident that might matter.  Otherwise it will never come up.  But, you don't want too much weight on the rear end due to rear axle loading and headlight positioning.  It is safety for you more than a legal issue.