AWD Fusion

Edgey

Are there any cars in the Fusion's class that are available with AWD? If not, will there be any?

I ask because I think it's tragic that this fact will probably go unheralded until the competition swoops in and takes the sales lead with their own AWD sedans.

Already mentioned Passat & Legacy & to a lesser extent the MSpeed6 and Ford's own 500. And I think the "next-gen" Epsilon chassis (Malibu/G6/Aura) is supposed to be AWD capable. But we won't see it until 2010+ I believe.

And of course the real competition, which is convincing SUV owners to ditch the 'utes and come back to cars. The AWD helps give them piece of mind. Never minding, of course, that a FWD sedan is probably easier to drive than any RWD-biased 4/AWD SUV. But that's another issue.

Scott

I don't think the old one was that big, was it? I mean, I know the new one is, but the old one seem smaller than the Fusion, at least in my eyes, then again, i don't have the best eyes in the world :shrug:

no it was not .. a couple generations old Passat is as big as the current Jetta - VW has grown considerably in size.

Igor

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that VWs have grown considerably in size, but then again so have Toyotas and Hondas. I'm guessing that the Japanese marques will keep growing their cars and eventually the Camry will replace the Avalon. Not sure about the Accord's growth, but it looks like a phat ass now.

Imagine this: One generation is hooked onto, say, Camries, and they keep buying them as the car grows along with that generation's needs. The name and image is right, so they won't change. It's thinking outside of the box, that.

// That was the appearance of "guy who shows up with his ideas well after the conversation is over"