Commercial Truck Marketing

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

You’re confusing Transit with ProMaster. Transit is superior in almost every way except price and yet ProMaster hangs in there every month in sales. 

The Promaster is a bit cheaper than a similarly configured Transit, but the Promaster model range is very limited compared to the Transit.  Yes, the Transit is superior to the Promaster, but that's not saying much! 

On 6/20/2021 at 5:51 PM, 7Mary3 said:

My opinion is the Transit sells on price and price alone.  They are difficult to service and unless you are hauling around bulky light cargo they don't seem to be holding up all too well.  My employer passed on the Transit and hopes Chevy will build the old Express for another 25 years.  

We currently have a 2016 T-250 in our small fleet.  We purchased it in 2017 and it was a retired U-Haul van.  We couldn't beat the price on it, it had 15k on the clock and we got it for around $25k with the bulkhead installed.  A similar van new would have been around $40k.  It's been a decent van, but if we replaced it, we would go with the Chevy as well.  Biggest drawback we have experienced is the Transit can't tow.  Our employee who uses the van loves it, but needs to get another truck to use our 10,000lb dump trailer.  Our only other option, for now, for a van that can tow is the Nissan.

10 hours ago, hwyman3 said:

We currently have a 2016 T-250 in our small fleet.  We purchased it in 2017 and it was a retired U-Haul van.  We couldn't beat the price on it, it had 15k on the clock and we got it for around $25k with the bulkhead installed.  A similar van new would have been around $40k.  It's been a decent van, but if we replaced it, we would go with the Chevy as well.  Biggest drawback we have experienced is the Transit can't tow.  Our employee who uses the van loves it, but needs to get another truck to use our 10,000lb dump trailer.  Our only other option, for now, for a van that can tow is the Nissan.

How about a real  work truck-an E-350 cut away with low roof utility and a 7.3.  That has I  believe a tow rating of 10,000.  Your Transit? I  think its 7500...so 10,000 would be pushing it.

Transits?   I make it a point to  get opinions  from drivers/owners.  Biggest consistent complaint?  They have lousy tire  life.  Visually, I can see why.."undertired" would be the word.  Young friend of mine has a very nice HVAC business and has two and is very satisfied- and these trucks are loaded including nice roof rack system.

Other complaint..."lousy in snow"...no  kidding!

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Is heavy towing with these vans a thing?  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a commercial van towing that kind of load.  Seems you’d want a truck for that kind of work

Several other contractors in the area do it, not the smartest thing I've seen but they do it.  Some prefer vans for carrying around their tools.  Others get utility bodies on cutaway vans, for that the E-Series still works.  

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

How about a real  work truck-an E-350 cut away with low roof utility and a 7.3.  That has I  believe a tow rating of 10,000.  Your Transit? I  think its 7500...so 10,000 would be pushing it.

At the time we bought it, we had brought on a new guy who were were going to make a painter.  After we get the van, he up and quits.  Funny thing is when he filed unemployment, he told them he didn't feel confident that he would have a job with us much longer!  The Transit was what was available at the time, and it was a good deal for our plan.

It has been a good van for the most part.  We just put tires on it about a month ago and got about 45k out of the Hankooks that were on it.  They are horrible in the snow.