Factory hitch rating

For those of you with 2020/2021 F250s what does the label on the hitch say on your truck? All the trucks I was able to look at were labeled at 15,200 gvwr/ 1,500 tongue wt. my friends 2020 is identical to mine except mine is a 2021 which is labeled at 18,200/1,800. 3 thousand pounds is quite a big jump. We’ve measured the hitches the best we can and cannot find any difference in size,wall thickness or anything else. Our trucks are virtually identical. I suspect my hitch was miss labeled.

The Hitch Label is based on your trucks configuration, not the hitch itself.

Here is an image another member shared of the 2022 towing guide(ignore the highlights), There havent been any groundbreaking changes since 2020 i dont think.

1849171841_ScreenShot2021-06-23at4_19_16PM.jpeg.34f53dab0e91c494c5f1c5fbe2a8b1e3.jpeg.205d767978d37f07542338e589090073.jpeg

Edited by mattdm

Yeah, the actual “hitch rating” is based on whatever class hitch receiver you have. But the trucks actual tow capacity will be based on its options. 

Here is a photo I took of a class 5 hitch receiver on a f250 at a dealer yesterday. It has the HCTT package so it can tow heavier than the standard 250. This is a big one with a 3” hitch! (You may have to zoom in, but it states 21,200 lbs.)

C1EA36BA-2D40-4A41-8D5B-9EEF1F8B2C7E.jpeg

• Like 1

I understand that. But it still doesn’t explain why two trucks with same trim level, engine, axle ratio, wheels, tires and accessories would have a 3 thousand pound difference in hitch ratings. The only difference between our trucks is his is a 2020 and mine is a 2021 and the trucks are different colors other than that they are identical. Additionally all the trucks I looked at the dealers while shopping were labeled with the lower number, my truck is to this point is the only one I’ve seen with the higher number. And I only realized it after having the truck for a week or so. Keep in mind I’m not complaining about the higher number if it is correct as it would give me a 3,500lb safety margin above the trucks max tow rating. If it was labeled like ever other truck I’ve seen then I would only have a 500lb safety margin. Sorry to so long winded.

2 hours ago, arff2108 said:

I understand that. But it still doesn’t explain why two trucks with same trim level, engine, axle ratio, wheels, tires and accessories would have a 3 thousand pound difference in hitch ratings. The only difference between our trucks is his is a 2020 and mine is a 2021 and the trucks are different colors other than that they are identical. Additionally all the trucks I looked at the dealers while shopping were labeled with the lower number, my truck is to this point is the only one I’ve seen with the higher number. And I only realized it after having the truck for a week or so. Keep in mind I’m not complaining about the higher number if it is correct as it would give me a 3,500lb safety margin above the trucks max tow rating. If it was labeled like ever other truck I’ve seen then I would only have a 500lb safety margin. Sorry to so long winded.

If the 2 trucks are indeed exactly the same in every way, then I can't explain it. But, for example, when I originally ordered my 250 I did not include the HCTT package. By default, this gave me lower GVWR, GCWR and tow capacities. This also meant that it came with a smaller (I imagine a Class 4) hitch receiver with only a 2.5" hitch opening. By adding the HCTT package, all of those weights increased, as well as including a heavier duty Class 5 hitch receiver with an even larger 3 inch hitch opening. By default now, both the truck and the hitch can handle more load, just by adding this one optional package.

Back some time ago when I first got into RVing, I read the sticker on the hitch only describes the hitch assembly rating, not the rating of the truck.

Very similar to a 27,000# 5th wheel hitch installed on a truck rated for 22,000#.

When the smoke clears, whatever is left of the trailer will still be firmly attached to the remains of the truck. :)