Did Ford Just Announce a Shelby Bronco?

12 hours ago, akirby said:

No brainer of the decade for Shelby if their off the shelf Coyote engines fit.  But I doubt it will outperform the Warthog.

Has Shelby ever produced a vehicle that hasn’t outperformed its Ford originator?

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Has Shelby ever produced a vehicle that hasn’t outperformed its Ford originator?

Ford has rarely produced super high performance factory vehicles like Warthog and GT500 so that bar was never very high.  But to be clear I was talking about taking a customer vehicle and modifying it since I doubt Ford would give them new Broncos at this point.

Unless Warthog is a Shelby Warthog?  Hmm……

It would be hard to imagine Shelby not offering their own Shelby enhanced Bronco considering the new Bronco's important status at Ford, the number of confirmed retail orders, etc. Until enough retail orders are fulfilled, I'd expect any Shelby Bronco conversion to be done on an "upfit" basis with customer vehicles either drop shipped or sent to Shelby for conversion. 

44 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Until enough retail orders are fulfilled, I'd expect any Shelby Bronco conversion to be done on an "upfit" basis with customer vehicles either drop shipped or sent to Shelby for conversion. 

Exactly, so that means taking a stock 2.7L and doing their normal body kit, suspension, brakes and other appearance upgrades and maybe doing a tune and bigger turbos, exhaust, etc to get more power.  But I’d be surprised if that exceeds Warthog performance and it probably costs a lot more.

Another option is to swap in a SC Coyote if it fits, but now you’re talking big $$$.

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

Exactly, so that means taking a stock 2.7L and doing their normal body kit, suspension, brakes and other appearance upgrades and maybe doing a tune and bigger turbos, exhaust, etc to get more power.  But I’d be surprised if that exceeds Warthog performance and it probably costs a lot more.

And Shelby's never been bashful with the prices they charge, fees will be required to be paid up-front and the customer will wait and wait for the work to be done and vehicles to be shipped. And when the customer calls to check on their vehicle status, Shelby's representatives will tell them that they're Shelby and they'll get to the customer's vehicle when they can and until then the customer can just wait. 

It's one thing to buy a Shelby Mustang which is built on the Mustang production line at Flat Rock, it's another to have to deal with Shelby directly in Las Vegas. I know from previous experience with their attitude and arrogance which was more than disappointing considering the quality of their work.  

Edited by ice-capades
Additional content
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

akirby, to your point regarding engine,

Shelby could specify a unique engine, maybe something Ford could supply like say, a 400 hp 3.0 V6.

Now that is something not outside the bounds of possibility…….

Honestly don’t know what Shelby will end up with but guessing that it will be more in the way of 

a fast desert runner that’s equally at home with real off reading but different enough to not step

on the toes of Warthog, maybe Ford taking “Raptor” in two different directions?

Edited by jpd80