1000 mile break-in period?

Kory04

I saw the 1k mile break in period in my manual. Dealer told me 500 miles was fine. It's not an issue for me either way. I'm not towing the camper until spring. Frankly, I wasn't expecting the truck to come in for another month or two. We bought it mostly to supplant the F150 for towing the camper.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a friend buy a new 22 in Kentucky and  pulled a trailer to the dealer with his current truck to pickup the new one. When they finished the deal, hooked new truck to the trailer and loaded old truck on the trailer and left. Salesman standing in the lot shaking his head as we drove off.

6 hours ago, Mchom said:

Had a friend buy a new 22 in Kentucky and  pulled a trailer to the dealer with his current truck to pickup the new one. When they finished the deal, hooked new truck to the trailer and loaded old truck on the trailer and left. Salesman standing in the lot shaking his head as we drove off.

I use my 19 f350 for work... hauling heavy loads and maxing out the cargo from day one.

I don't know what ford expects people to do that buy the truck for work, take it out for a 1000 mile joy ride before they use it.

( maybe the 1,000-mile break in period is more of a suggestion then a rule)?

Also is it possible the break-in. Is more for getting people used to driving their trucks so home owner Joe doesn't go out and buy his first truck and drive straight to camper sales in by his first camper, and then decide to take it on a 500 Mile Road Trip with trailer Towing experience?

Maybe a little bit of both break in and getting used to the truck

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Also is it possible the break-in. Is more for getting people used to driving their trucks so home owner Joe doesn't go out and buy his first truck and drive straight to camper sales in by his first camper, and then decide to take it on a 500 Mile Road Trip with trailer Towing experience?

My new 5th wheel was sitting at the dealer already for 2 months, and it was 700 miles away.  While I didn't get to 1000 miles, I came close :)

3 hours ago, CBears said:

STUPID QUESTION ALERT!!!

Does it matter if the first 1000 is all on the highway?  Or does it need to be start and stop “regular” driving?

Hi CBears. Not a stupid question at all. Usually...You do not want to drive at a constant speed for long periods of time during the break-in period.

If you absolutely must drive on the highway for a long period of time during break-in, try to vary your speed by +10 mph every 5-10 minutes or so.

From my Lincoln Owners Manual:

"BREAKING-IN
You need to break in new tires for
approximately 300 mi (480 km). During this
time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual
driving characteristics.
Avoid driving too fast during the first 1,000 mi
(1,600 km). Vary your speed frequently and
change up through the gears early. Do not
labor the engine.
Do not tow during the first 1,000 mi
(1,600 km)."

Check the Index in your Owners Manual, under "Breaking-in", for the specific recommendations for your particular vehicle.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2021 at 6:50 AM, catastrofe said:

Out of all the things Ford says to avoid before the first 1000 miles, only towing is actually clear.  High speed is a relative term, doesn't really mean anything, like someone said, it depends on where you are.  Heavy breaking is a relative term, heavy relative to what?  Aggressive shifting, this has no real objective meaning, what is not aggressive?  Towing is absolutely clear, you either have a trailer connected or you don't, sometimes you think you have a trailer until you look back and it's not there anymore, lol.  All laughing and joking aside, I know what they are trying to say, baby your truck for the first 1000 miles, just drive like it's a Sunday drive and you're not in a hurry to go anywhere of haul anything.  Me personally, I probably wouldn't worry too much, if I needed to haul a trailer the same day I take my truck off the lot, I'd do it and have not one single concern.  My 2 cents...

787Toolman

• Thanks 1