Car Wash? Bad Idea? Safe on the Paint?

danielj

2 hours ago, akirby said:

You can’t get swirls from strips that move linearly so I assume you just mean scratches.

Here is the wife’s 2016 MKX in Luxe metallic.  This vehicle has never once been waxed or had any protectant other than the car wash treatment at the car wash.  It is garaged but for the last 6 years has only been washed by running it through a car wash with the cloth strips every couple of months.

if there are scratches I certainly can’t see them. Maybe the metallic hides them but we’ve had non metallics with similar results.  Still looks brand new to me.

YMMV.

[having trouble posting pics - stand by]

Swirls are just straight line scratches or defects that are "bent" or reflected in a light source, they just appear circular that way. 

There are some paints that are harder and more resistant to defects than other paint and wont show scratches or swirls as bad. For the most part if you want to avoid scratches or damage to the paint finish of your vehicle the best step is to just wash as little as possible and when you do wash make sure its done correctly. Thats not always practical however, so there are some level of swirls and scratches that are always present. 

My personal vehicles, I have an acceptable small level of swirl marks I notice on them that it's not worth chasing and removing every few months, but I dont let it get to a level where the reflection or depth of the paint is compromised. 

14 hours ago, Misnjak said:

Was planning on just using the foam cannon I just got one for the hose and one for pressure washer never used before. I just did the two bucket wash and prep on my Jeep and 3 coats f-11 and. It pleased after 2 weeks at all…

Is the f11 really do as advertised? 

19 hours ago, Misnjak said:

Was planning on just using the foam cannon I just got one for the hose and one for pressure washer never used before. I just did the two bucket wash and prep on my Jeep and 3 coats f-11 and. It pleased after 2 weeks at all…

I answered my own question.. lol