Car Wash? Bad Idea? Safe on the Paint?

danielj

I have a membership for car wash on my 05 truck. Paint isn't great so don't really care. But for my 2022 F 350. I'm alittle more concerned about keeping the paint nice. 

How does everyone feel about automatic car washes? What's been your experiences? Should I use some kind of paint protection? Or doesn't matter? Or avoid at all costs?

17 minutes ago, danielj said:

I have a membership for car wash on my 05 truck. Paint isn't great so don't really care. But for my 2022 F 350. I'm alittle more concerned about keeping the paint nice. 

How does everyone feel about automatic car washes? What's been your experiences? Should I use some kind of paint protection? Or doesn't matter? Or avoid at all costs?

I never use automatic car washes.  I just feel like too much can happen with the hands off washes.  I do go use the hand-held wands sometimes but never the brushes.  Most of the time I pull out the hose and bucket and spend some quality time just me and my girl.  ?  To each his/her own but I just don't want to take a chance.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Forderorder said:

For a quick wash or a wash to get the road salt off when it's too cold to wash by hand, I go to a brushless car wash.

Do these wash the under side of the truck also?  Forgive my ignorance, it's been a LONG time since I've used an auto wash.  Have you EVER had an issue with one?  I hadn't really considered brushless.

Been years since I've gone through a car wash.  Just a note, unless you're obsessive with using two buckets and dirt trap, even hand washing will cause swirls.

We're in FL right now and I've taken through the car wash twice, and in general you don't get the same level of dirt on vehicles we see in MI.  So far, it's swirl free, but after the 2nd car wash, I was able to get a coat of wax on the truck.

• Like 2

I believe that a good base of a premium polish is key to maintaining the paint. I've washed my 2009 Mariner by hand and hand polished with various Meguiars or Turtle Wax products twice a year, but in the winter, I go to an automated car wash and get the top dog soft touch (cloth strips) wash. I have switched over to 303 Nano Graphine polish and Adams Detailer Spray on both the Merc and my 2021 Ranger, which also gets the  soft touch. Around here, the DOTs spray calcium chloride or potassium chloride as a pre- storm treatment and many metro bridges have automatic sprayers. This stuff doesn't spray off in a touchless wash, Attached I have som pics of the 12 year-old paint on the Mariner and there are some rock chips on it, but there is nary a scratch or marring from car washing

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CBears said:

I never use automatic car washes.  I just feel like too much can happen with the hands off washes.  I do go use the hand-held wands sometimes but never the brushes.  Most of the time I pull out the hose and bucket and spend some quality time just me and my girl.  ?  To each his/her own but I just don't want to take a chance.

Do you have any special maintenance to her? Waxes or protectant? 

9 hours ago, akirby said:

Some have undercarriage wash some don’t.  I’ve never had a problem with the ones that use the cloth strips not brushes.

The place I go has cloth strips. And I never noticed any issues. But the truck is also a old beater covered in scratches and chips. 

3 hours ago, muggerzh said:

what about wax, should you wait to let the paint set before you wax the thing?  I know that is the case with older paints but this my first new truck since 2007

Wait? So there is still set time with the paint after I pickup my truck? 

2 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

I believe that a good base of a premium polish is key to maintaining the paint. I've washed my 2009 Mariner by hand and hand polished with various Meguiars or Turtle Wax products twice a year, but in the winter, I go to an automated car wash and get the top dog soft touch (cloth strips) wash. I have switched over to 303 Nano Graphine polish and Adams Detailer Spray on both the Merc and my 2021 Ranger, which also gets the  soft touch. Around here, the DOTs spray calcium chloride or potassium chloride as a pre- storm treatment and many metro bridges have automatic sprayers. This stuff doesn't spray off in a touchless wash, Attached I have som pics of the 12 year-old paint on the Mariner and there are some rock chips on it, but there is nary a scratch or marring from car washing

IMG_0496.JPG

Your paint looks amazing still!

Is the 303 nano do good to protect and prevent scratches? 

6 hours ago, muggerzh said:

what about wax, should you wait to let the paint set before you wax the thing?  I know that is the case with older paints but this my first new truck since 2007

2 hours ago, danielj said:

Wait? So there is still set time with the paint after I pickup my truck? 

Hi muggerz and dnaielj. No, there is no waiting period before you can wax a new vehicle. The paint on a new vehicle is already fully cured.

What you are thinking of (or have heard), is that we need to wait for the paint to fully cure (for lack of a better term) when paint work has been performed on a vehicle, such as after an accident etc.

The recommended waiting period before waxing fresh paint work generally varies by the opinion of the body/paint shop that performs the paint work. Usually no less than 1 month. And I have been told as much as two months.

However, I digress...so back to your question: No, there is no waiting period for waxing a new vehicle fresh from the factory. You can wax it the day you bring it home from the Dealer.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi muggerz and dnaielj. No, there is no waiting period before you can wax a new vehicle. The paint on a new vehicle is already fully cured.

What you are thinking of (or have heard), is that we need to wait for the paint to fully cure (for lack of a better term) when paint work has been performed on a vehicle, such as after an accident etc.

The recommended waiting period before waxing fresh paint work generally varies by the opinion of the body/paint shop that performs the paint work. Usually no less than 1 month. And I have been told as much as two months.

However, I digress...so back to your question: No, there is no waiting period for waxing a new vehicle fresh from the factory. You can wax it the day you bring it home from the Dealer.

Good luck.

I will wait a bit, and I will admit questioning my manhood for wanting to wax a truck, but this baby wont fit in the garage!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, danielj said:

Your paint looks amazing still!

Is the 303 nano do good to protect and prevent scratches? 

303 Graphene Nano Spray protectant is the best product I've found yet. As good or better than ceramic coating, IMO. It holds up on my '21 Ranger driving through USFS 2 track fire roads with the occasional branch brushing the sides with no scratches. It can be applied to all surfaces including neoprene, plastic, glass headlight & taillight lenses, and It can be applied in the sun. I hand washed with Dawn Platinum dishwashing soap to remove anything on the paint before the initial application, for best results, but it isn't necessary. The Owners Manual doesn't say anything about waiting for the paint to cure, but I did wait a month before washing/polishing mine; old school practice.

I follow up with Adam's Detail Spray for a tinted mirror-like shine. Good workout for my septuagenarian shoulders!

1 hour ago, Sox3 said:

My neighbor won't use an automatic car wash anymore. The spinning cloth caught his wiper, ripped it off and flailed the car with it. Shattered the windshield  and beat the roof and hood. Company says not their fault. 

OMG!  My boss told me years ago that one did that with his antennae. I was going to post that here but have always kind of thought he was fibbing to me. ???

Guess he wasn’t after all. 

On 2/10/2022 at 8:18 AM, CBears said:

Do these wash the under side of the truck also?  Forgive my ignorance, it's been a LONG time since I've used an auto wash.  Have you EVER had an issue with one?  I hadn't really considered brushless.

Most all now have an undercarriage wash choice. The only issues I've ever had over the years is that the soap or wax dispenser is out of product; happens rarely and the mgmt will give me a coupon for another wash. My '09 Mariner has a spring steel fixed antenna on the right fender, and it seems to find its way between the columns of rotating cloth strips on the overhead rotating brush at soft touch washes with little movement. 35 years ago, I had an '80 Country Squire with a retractable antenna that got bent by one of the side brushes. I straightened it out the best I could, but the middle stage never again would go all the way back down.

Edited by Chrisgb
add content

8 hours ago, akirby said:

I don’t think newer vehicles really need protectant especially if they’re garaged.  Mine look just fine after 5-7 years of the cloth strip car washes.  But it will make it easier to wash and  is required if you want that deep mirror shine.

I don't have a garage to put it in so I might try some kind of protectant. But I feel better about using the wash if you haven't had the issue with 5-7 years using the automatic washes.

8 hours ago, Sox3 said:

My neighbor won't use an automatic car wash anymore. The spinning cloth caught his wiper, ripped it off and flailed the car with it. Shattered the windshield  and beat the roof and hood. Company says not their fault. 

I worked at a place with a car wash before. They will refuse to pay for anything that catches the brushes because it was "loose". However could because I have also had loose headed people go through the wash thinking the soap and brushes won't rip there side mirror off. (Held on with duct tape). And expect the company to buy them a new side mirror. 

This wash was also at a gas station where you could just purchase and enter without assistance.