Purchasing before delivery and consumer protections?

I created quite a problem for myself and was hoping to see if anyone had either experienced this themselves, or had a contact in Ford or aware of how Ford handles an issue like this at the corporate level?  Are there any consumer protections in place?

I purchased a retail ordered 2022 F450 before delivery.  I recognize it is usually a bad idea to purchase a vehicle sight unseen, but for a multitude of reasons (expiring PCO, already took the day off to do the paperwork, and am just generally an idiot), I decided to do it anyway. 

I ordered an F450 in August of 2021 from a dealer in Northern CA, and had them drop ship the truck to a dealer in IA nearby an upfitter that installs air suspensions.  The truck was built on 12/17 and shipped with an ETA of 12/31.  The way the selling dealer explained it to me was that they structured the drop ship/courtesy delivery’s PDI like a “warranty” claim, so in order for the truck to be released to the receiving dealership I had to do the paperwork on it before delivery.  I did the paperwork on 12/30/21.

Unfortunately, the truck was never delivered to the dealer in IA.  My selling dealership also tells me they cannot track it anymore since it was reported sold so they don’t know where it is.  They have reached out to their regional rep, but apparently the regional rep is new and doesn’t know how to help.  The receiving dealership can’t tell me anything because it is not their vehicle.  If I call Ford Customer service, they just say that it is in transit and it is not lost/stolen, and add 7 to 14 days to the last date they expected it, and to talk to my selling dealer.  

I know the truck exists as I have added it to Ford Pass.  But I wonder if I’m stuck in some kind of shipping purgatory now?  Maybe the contracted shipper from the railyard won’t even take it the final leg of the journey now to the dealership since it has been “sold.”  It wouldn’t be that surprising if that were the case since I’ve already entered into a loophole where my dealer can no longer track the vehicle by purchasing it before delivery.

I’m sure I’m worrying for nothing and this is normal with all the shipping delays and the truck will show up any day now but it was also supposed to show up 12/31.  What if it never shows up?  I assume I will have to report it missing at some point.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2022 at 9:18 AM, Terroirnosaurus said:

I created quite a problem for myself and was hoping to see if anyone had either experienced this themselves, or had a contact in Ford or aware of how Ford handles an issue like this at the corporate level?  Are there any consumer protections in place?

I purchased a retail ordered 2022 F450 before delivery.  I recognize it is usually a bad idea to purchase a vehicle sight unseen, but for a multitude of reasons (expiring PCO, already took the day off to do the paperwork, and am just generally an idiot), I decided to do it anyway. 

I ordered an F450 in August of 2021 from a dealer in Northern CA, and had them drop ship the truck to a dealer in IA nearby an upfitter that installs air suspensions.  The truck was built on 12/17 and shipped with an ETA of 12/31.  The way the selling dealer explained it to me was that they structured the drop ship/courtesy delivery’s PDI like a “warranty” claim, so in order for the truck to be released to the receiving dealership I had to do the paperwork on it before delivery.  I did the paperwork on 12/30/21.

Unfortunately, the truck was never delivered to the dealer in IA.  My selling dealership also tells me they cannot track it anymore since it was reported sold so they don’t know where it is.  They have reached out to their regional rep, but apparently the regional rep is new and doesn’t know how to help.  The receiving dealership can’t tell me anything because it is not their vehicle.  If I call Ford Customer service, they just say that it is in transit and it is not lost/stolen, and add 7 to 14 days to the last date they expected it, and to talk to my selling dealer.  

I know the truck exists as I have added it to Ford Pass.  But I wonder if I’m stuck in some kind of shipping purgatory now?  Maybe the contracted shipper from the railyard won’t even take it the final leg of the journey now to the dealership since it has been “sold.”  It wouldn’t be that surprising if that were the case since I’ve already entered into a loophole where my dealer can no longer track the vehicle by purchasing it before delivery.

I’m sure I’m worrying for nothing and this is normal with all the shipping delays and the truck will show up any day now but it was also supposed to show up 12/31.  What if it never shows up?  I assume I will have to report it missing at some point.

I believe if the Truck is parked you should be able to trace it with FORDPASS....

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 11:18 AM, Terroirnosaurus said:

The truck was built on 12/17 and shipped with an ETA of 12/31

The truck was shipped where on 12/17, CA or IA? Or did it arrive in CA and then forwarded to IA? Who had custody between 12/17-12-30? The selling dealer should have a record of the last known status before marking it sold on 12/30/21. If  CA had it drop shipped to IA between 12/17-12/30, before you signed off, IA should have record of its status. Has the IA dealer been compensated for the PDI by the CA dlr?

Somewhere in North America, there is a rail yard dispatcher wondering where this SuperDuty came from and where's it supposed to go next? It might be still sitting in Louisville's yard. Maybe there is a way for Ford to ping the truck from their end to find it.

45 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

The truck was shipped where on 12/17, CA or IA? Or did it arrive in CA and then forwarded to IA? Who had custody between 12/17-12-30? The selling dealer should have a record of the last known status before marking it sold on 12/30/21. If  CA had it drop shipped to IA between 12/17-12/30, before you signed off, IA should have record of its status. Has the IA dealer been compensated for the PDI by the CA dlr?

Somewhere in North America, there is a rail yard dispatcher wondering where this SuperDuty came from and where's it supposed to go next? It might be still sitting in Louisville's yard. Maybe there is a way for Ford to ping the truck from their end to find it.

2 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

akirby posted my cyberdman tracking thread.  He was able to see that it is still in the KC,MO rail yard as of January 10th.  

It's a "courtesy" delivery.  I bought the truck from a dealer in Norcal, but it is supposed to be shipped from KY to IA directly.  The IA dealer is supposed to PDI it and then release it to my upfitters nearby for some suspension upgrades.

• Like 1

@Terroirnosaurus  - -   Take the information received from cyberdman and show it to your selling dealer (Ramp 6P Kansas City).  Your selling dealer can then have their zone sales manager contact the ramp directly and have them find your poor lost unit.   Also, the receiving dealer in Iowa has absolutely no control in this process; they likely received a delivery package or e-mail from your selling dealer in California summarizing the vehicle specs to aid in checking in the vehicle.   As you already know, your selling dealer has really dropped the ball in this transaction.   Good luck.

1 hour ago, WillSD said:

@Terroirnosaurus  - -   Take the information received from cyberdman and show it to your selling dealer (Ramp 6P Kansas City).  Your selling dealer can then have their zone sales manager contact the ramp directly and have them find your poor lost unit.   Also, the receiving dealer in Iowa has absolutely no control in this process; they likely received a delivery package or e-mail from your selling dealer in California summarizing the vehicle specs to aid in checking in the vehicle.   As you already know, your selling dealer has really dropped the ball in this transaction.   Good luck.

The murphy's law is strong in my case.  I called up my sales manager and he reminded me that their zone manager is new and has no idea what to do.  

20 hours ago, Terroirnosaurus said:

The murphy's law is strong in my case.  I called up my sales manager and he reminded me that their zone manager is new and has no idea what to do.  

I am starting to wonder if your dealer's SM has a poor relationship with their zone and/or the manager. You found your truck through this forum which is run by non Ford employees. To me, it's looking more like Norcal's manager doesn't know how to deal with this, maybe botched it up to begin with.

Have you tried reaching out to the zone directly, or the zone in IA where that dealer is? With 2 million vehicles sold each year, this can't be the only one that fell through the cracks; somebody in either zone office should be able to get this out of the inbox.