Recently scheduled with 5th wheel prep

Joeyd9590

On 2/25/2022 at 9:21 PM, Rangers09 said:

Unless you ordered a fairly basic truck, there was minimal chance of receiving it within 10-12 weeks. With 5th wheel prep, the probability is even less.

I ordered in August and was advised 6 - 8 months and mine still isn't scheduled. Mine previewed briefly in November, but couldn't get scheduled due to commodity restraints (truck bed & wheels) and then got moved to priority 1 early December. Been previewing again this motnh, but still not scheduled. I note many others ordered well before me, some as far back as March and are still waiting. Welcome to the club.

The primary factors in scheduling are commodity restraints and where your truck is in your dealer.s queue. Last time I chatted with our Sales Manager he had over 60 SD's on order, so anyone just submitting an order has a long wait before they get to a position in the queue where they are considered for scheduling.

How many SD's does your dealer have ahead of your 2 orders?

My dealer has not told me how many orders are ahead of me in line. As far as I know I'm not being held up by any commodities issues. I would pay just to move up in the queue at this point. 

28 minutes ago, CodyH said:

My dealer has not told me how many orders are ahead of me in line. As far as I know I'm not being held up by any commodities issues. I would pay just to move up in the queue at this point. 

5th wheel prep seems to be the biggest hold up of all the commodities from what I've noticed in the 4+ months of watching this forum. 

51 minutes ago, CaptainKopper said:

5th wheel prep seems to be the biggest hold up of all the commodities from what I've noticed in the 4+ months of watching this forum. 

I get the same thing from the forum but my dealer says that is not the case. Not like I really trust the dealer on anything. 

1 hour ago, CodyH said:

I get the same thing from the forum but my dealer says that is not the case. Not like I really trust the dealer on anything. 

Sounds like your dealer just tells you what he thinks you want to hear. My dealer told me on many occasions, my order had no commodities restraints. Fortunetly this forum was able to educate me otherwise which lead me to drop the spray in liner and finally get built. 

On 2/15/2022 at 10:27 AM, Joeyd9590 said:

Good morning,

For those of you who were recently scheduled to build with the fifth wheel prep, what was your order date? Just trying to get a ballpark idea. I ordered back in December. I know fifth wheel prep is holding up my build, that’s the only commodity I have that would cause the delay (no spray in liner, tonneau cover, no AS). I really don’t want to pull it from my order but I also don’t want to get stuck transitioning to a MY23. I’m confident I can install the fifth wheel prep package on my truck at a later date but just trying to avoid doing it if I don’t have to. I looked online through ford accessories website and you can still purchase the prep kit from the website, it makes no mention of back order or anything. 

Just looking for a general idea how long I could expect to wait if I keep the fifth wheel prep in my order. 

I ordered 12/13/22 350DRW lariat w fifth wheel prep and safe. it went into production last week hopefully Monday it shows built no AS or spray bed liner 

On 2/16/2022 at 12:51 AM, Late Apex 61 said:

Ordered 10/26

Currently scheduled for the week of 3/7. 

There are a couple of YouTube videos that show the installation of the 5th wheel prep.  That might play into your decision.  

Good luck.  

That's my plan.  I'll cut the holes and then tape them from the underside.  Go get the Line-X done and that will cover the bare metal from the cuts.  Then I'll take it to a military base auto hobby shop to raise the bed and install.  I'll probably have to buy  2-3 hole saw blades and maybe a drill bit for the screw holes around the trailer plug socket.  Time at the hobby shop is $7.50 an hour.  Worth doing if I get the truck faster.

5 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

When Ice-Capades posted the weekly constraints, the 5th wheel prep was listed about every week since I joined this forum.

I dropped everything but the 5th wheel prep. I'm worried about not putting it in because the camera packages and all the bed wiring is different. I dint have very much faith in the dealer doing anything after the fact. Has anyone had good luck doing 5th wheel prep after the fact?

15 minutes ago, CodyH said:

I dropped everything but the 5th wheel prep. I'm worried about not putting it in because the camera packages and all the bed wiring is different. I dint have very much faith in the dealer doing anything after the fact. Has anyone had good luck doing 5th wheel prep after the fact?

Looks like no super duty scheduling again for the upcoming week. Supposed to hear from my sales manager early next week. Think I’m going to pull fifth wheel and do it later (don’t need it now). There’s some really good videos on YouTube of people doing it. I have access to a lift and stuff so it shouldn’t be too bad for me but not sure how you’d lift the bed unless you got a lift or some strong buddies to help you out. 

12 hours ago, clark98ut said:

My 10 year old son and I did the install. The bed is pretty light, so I would lift one side, and he’d put blocks under it. Then go to the other side and do the same. Did that until it was high enough for me to install it. 

It’s not a tough job at all. 

That is great to hear. I was think my done and I could do it that way. I don’t have a 5th wheel yet, buying the truck now and the camper next year. Although it maybe next year before I get the truck. ?

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 11:34 PM, Rangers09 said:

They go across the road from the truck plant to GFX. The 5th wheel prep also includes the additional outlet in the bed.

So do they finish the truck, then take it and remove the bed and install the 5th prep, or does that happen mid build. 
just curious how that works. 

On 2/23/2022 at 7:32 AM, F3pifty said:

Ordered 10/7  F350 with spray bed liner and 5th wheel prep.  Got Vin a month later, scheduled for production Jan 24  pushed back several times Now scheduled for Feb 28th. Got pushed back to March 7 as many others have

1 hour ago, wowens79 said:

So do they finish the truck, then take it and remove the bed and install the 5th prep, or does that happen mid build. 
just curious how that works. 

After the truck comes off the line it is sent to GFX (Ground Effects) for installation of the 5th wheel prep and a number of other 'accessory' type items such as spray bed liner, tonneau cover, wheel well liners, etc.

I had the dealer pull the 5th wheel prep from both of my orders today. I'm having some reverse buyers remorse. I want my truck buck I also wanted the OEM hitch set up. I'm being told in theory that should speed my built up for sure. Anyone in the same boat? I see plenty of prep trucks getting built but definitely not mine and I have no other issue that should hold me back as far as I know. 

On 2/27/2022 at 7:34 PM, CodyH said:

I've had the 5th wheel prep on both previous trucks and it works well. Since I have a F-450 on order, it is standard equipment, so I will continue waiting. No desire to remove this option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CodyH said:

I had the dealer pull the 5th wheel prep from both of my orders today. I'm having some reverse buyers remorse. I want my truck buck I also wanted the OEM hitch set up. I'm being told in theory that should speed my built up for sure. Anyone in the same boat? I see plenty of prep trucks getting built but definitely not mine and I have no other issue that should hold me back as far as I know. 

How many trucks does your dealer have before your 2 orders?

This can cause delays even when your truck has no commodity restraints. I note my dealer has > 60 SD orders, with mine at the front. Anyone that just ordered may have a significant wait, until earlier orders are scheduled.

13 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

How many trucks does your dealer have before your 2 orders?

This can cause delays even when your truck has no commodity restraints. I note my dealer has > 60 SD orders, with mine at the front. Anyone that just ordered may have a significant wait, until earlier orders are scheduled.

I can't get the number of orders ahead of me. I've tried but they dodge that question pretty well. I wouldn't mind having the B&W instead of the OEM. That's what I have right now and I like it just fine. Just hoping it speeds up my order. 

22 hours ago, CodyH said:

I can't get the number of orders ahead of me. I've tried but they dodge that question pretty well. I wouldn't mind having the B&W instead of the OEM. That's what I have right now and I like it just fine. Just hoping it speeds up my order. 

I also use a 25K Reese Elite with the factory prep. Have read lots of others raving over the B&W, but I'm happy with what I have. Just waiting patiently for the truck to get scheduled with the options I want/need.

Totally sad that your dealer won't advise how many orders are ahead of yours, so you can make a slightly more informed decision. To put it into perspective, my Sales Manager even showed me his screen with the SD spreadsheet open. Didn't see any personal info, but types of SD on order.

Edited by Rangers09

On 2/23/2022 at 10:48 AM, Dog breath said:

Where do these trucks go for the 5th wheel prep? Seems easy enough to install before the box goes on

I have no idea.  I'm assuming it's local to the factory.  That was all the info I had which only indicated it went off site.

On 2/15/2022 at 10:27 AM, Joeyd9590 said:

Good morning,

For those of you who were recently scheduled to build with the fifth wheel prep, what was your order date? Just trying to get a ballpark idea. I ordered back in December. I know fifth wheel prep is holding up my build, that’s the only commodity I have that would cause the delay (no spray in liner, tonneau cover, no AS). I really don’t want to pull it from my order but I also don’t want to get stuck transitioning to a MY23. I’m confident I can install the fifth wheel prep package on my truck at a later date but just trying to avoid doing it if I don’t have to. I looked online through ford accessories website and you can still purchase the prep kit from the website, it makes no mention of back order or anything. 

Just looking for a general idea how long I could expect to wait if I keep the fifth wheel prep in my order. 

Ordered 4-26-21

production 3-1-22

no update as of now

10/02/21 - Order Placed, Priority 19

01/07/22 - Dealership advised order was now Priority 02

02/03/22- Advised by Ford Marketing a VIN and build date were assigned

My order: 2022 F350 Lariat 6.7, Tremor, BAP, Lariat Value Package, 5th Wheel Prep Package, Moonroof, Supplemental Cab Heater, Block Heater, Clearance Lights, Rain Sensing Wipers, Upfitter Switches, Tailgate Step, Heated Rear Seat

My order was in Jan 28 2022. F 350 XLT, 4x4, 7.3, super cab, short box. 5th wheel package, mud flaps, hood deflector. Dealer told me to cancel spray in bed liner, which I did. Thinking of dropping 5th wheel, still in limbo on that decision. Makes me feel sick to see some guys waiting almost a year for their truck. This is the 1st new Ford I ever bought. Pulling a 5th wheel rv, kinda chompin at the bit to get it. Sure it will all work out eventually. Really hope I don't have to order a 2023. But its out of my control.