Power inverter outlet in backseat

danielj

Does or has anyone added an additional power outlet from the inverter in the back? I want to put my truck mini cooler in the back and use the 110v. But I did not get the center console. So has anyone wired in a second outlet to the back or know how to do it?

The inverter on my 22 SD is located behind the back seat on the passenger side. Now if you knew what you were doing with the electrical, you could tap into the 110V output and set up an outlet to plug in your cooler. Again, I stress "IF YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE DOING!". Don't take any chances safety wise if you are not familiar with electrical wiring.

Edited by AtlasBlue350

I know how to test and trace the wires. But I was hoping for input if someone has already done it before or knew of a aftermarket kit for it. Maybe there is a built in connector somewhere that isn't used because I don't have the console. I'd like to modify as little as possible to do it.

20 minutes ago, danielj said:

I know how to test and trace the wires. But I was hoping for input if someone has already done it before or knew of a aftermarket kit for it. Maybe there is a built in connector somewhere that isn't used because I don't have the console. I'd like to modify as little as possible to do it.

I can understand that. Have you taken a look at the inverter yet to see if there are any spare connectors for a wiring harness that would normally go in the back of the center console?

On 3/28/2022 at 3:34 AM, danielj said:

Does or has anyone added an additional power outlet from the inverter in the back? I want to put my truck mini cooler in the back and use the 110v. But I did not get the center console. So has anyone wired in a second outlet to the back or know how to do it?

Is there a reason you can't just plug it into a 12v power point?  It is incredibly inefficient to convert 12v DC to 110v AC and then back to 12v DC to run the cooler.  We use an electric cooler all the time, but we use the 12v power point and have never had an issue.  We do have the 110v to 12v converter to run the cooler if we are staying in a hotel that doesn't have a mini-fridge on the road, but that is the only time we use the converter.  About the only thing we use the truck inverter for is to power my mobile office if I am working from the road. 

9 hours ago, NH_Bulldog said:

Is there a reason you can't just plug it into a 12v power point?  It is incredibly inefficient to convert 12v DC to 110v AC and then back to 12v DC to run the cooler.  We use an electric cooler all the time, but we use the 12v power point and have never had an issue.  We do have the 110v to 12v converter to run the cooler if we are staying in a hotel that doesn't have a mini-fridge on the road, but that is the only time we use the converter.  About the only thing we use the truck inverter for is to power my mobile office if I am working from the road. 

Part of me doesn't want to carry two connectors around and want to unplug it at night from the truck and connect it to a extension cord from the house rather then drain my battery dead every night.

9 hours ago, bshort said:

I have a 110 outlet in the back seat area.  22 Supercab.  

You probably have the console. I wanted the extra seat in the front. Do you have a picture of the inverter and the electrical connections going to it? Maybe there it's the same inverter but unused port for the plug in the console?

I can compare that to my brothers 2019 inverter. Maybe I can have all the parts I need ordered before the truck gets here. 

I looked at my brothers 2019 f350 inverter. There is only two connections available. Nothing that's clearly easy to tap onto without pulling out all my electrical testing tools. Now makes me wonder if it's a different inverter for super duty with the center console. 

20220410_190624.jpg

15 hours ago, bshort said:

My inverter is under the back seat and surrounded by some shroud.  I can get a good look at any wires.  I do have the center console.

This one was covered with a shroud too. I just popped it off to look at the inverter. 

Anyone figure out a solution? I have the same scenario. Front seat with jump seat. 110 outlet on the dash, but none in the back seat because we “cheaped out” and opted for more seating room. My biggest wonder, is if I swap a center console in, how can I make a rear outlet come into play? I’m pretty good with these trucks. I’m an electronics technician by trade. My favorite way to figure out problems is to… mess around and find out. Any help is appreciated!

The inverter should be the same whether you have one outlet or two (I have a 400w portable inverter to power my mobile office in my company car , and it has two 110v outlets).  

I don’t necessarily want to be involved with someone voiding a warranty or blowing up their new truck so I will keep this very high-level; look at the wires coming out of the inverter under the back seat.  Pull the plug out of the dash and look at those wires.  Determine what wires you want to tap into.  Tap into the appropriate wires using an appropriate tap (don’t cheap-out here).  Terminate at an appropriate outlet (again, don’t go cheap).  

A less costly alternative: pick up a $30 400w inverter with a 12v lighter plug on the end, plug it in and stuff it under the front seat and achieve the same result.

I'm starting to think that under the center seat is a unused connector I'm going to look up the wiring harness to see if it's the same for a console and center seat. If so. I just need to order the center console plug and plug it in. No warranty to void then. And a rear console plug added. 

Let me know what you find out! I’m on the hunt for a good deal on a center console swap, and I’d love to get the rear outlet to work. I’m willing to bet the plug is already there too. I’m installing the TCU tomorrow to get ford pass to work. My truck didn’t come with it, but the connector is already there. Just need to make a few changes with forscan and it’ll be good to go.