Trailer Brake Recall Notice

3 hours ago, DrEvil said:

Oh cool. I don't even have my truck but already have a recall. 

Don’t be so sure, mine was built 3-4 days before the recall was announced and it has the updated software and is not included in the notification.  My truck arrived at the dealer today and with any luck, I should have it by the end of this week.

Hooking up this morning, couldn't get brakes to work.  I also have an issue where 7 round doesn't seem to plug in properly.  Doesn't help I had to bleed trailer brakes, just to add to the diagnosis.  It's working now, but I don't know what went wrong or what got fixed.

I called my dealer last Friday for the heat shield recall and the trailer brake recall. Was assured they could take care of both. I explained about the trailer brake module reflash. He told me they had the new software. Made an appointment for Monday. Took it in and dropped off. Got a call in the afternoon that it was ready for pickup but the reflash wasn't done as they don't have the new software. They checked and said Ford hasn't finalized it yet. He told me he would call as soon as they got it. Was very apologetic. We'll see. If anyone gets theirs done I would hope they post here.

Crikey!  We’re in NJ  halfway through a 9 month road trip towing a 15,000 lb fifth wheel and have had trailer brakes fail at least 6 times since January. A friend told us about the recall. Not a word from Ford. We set up an appointment with a local dealer for the software fix only to be told not to come in. Not valid yet for 2022 models. my dealer back in WA is trying to find out WHEN it might be ready. Ford customer service has been useless.  This is a potential life and death situation!  We are ON THE ROAD. our brakes have FAILED. We thought it was a problem with the plug as the brakes come back on. Very disappointed with Ford. Not looking forward to the next leg of our trip which takes us north into Canada. The Rocky Mountains await. 

On 4/4/2022 at 10:02 AM, Oldfordguy said:

Saturday on my way home from Florida I was between Dothan and Troy Alabama, traffic signal up head was changing so I started to slow down and ease on the brakes.However there were no trailer brakes tried manual and nothing.I was far enough away the transmission and engine brake along with truck brakes allowed me to stop ok.I was in a spot that I couldn’t pull over so I gently drove with plenty of distance until I could pull off.I checked everything I could still no brakes.Finally I shut the truck off and waited 5 minutes and restarted it, and the trailer brakes started working just fine.Sunday there was nothing open to check the controller but the brakes were fine.So I proceeded on home stoping every 2 hours or so shutting the truck off each stop ,and was able to get home with no further problems.Going to dealer in the am.

Curious if you could've been found at fault if anything had happened.  I'm surprised Ford isn't being more aggressive in getting customers in to have this rectified. 

Unfortunately Wendle Motors here in Spokane can't get to my F-350 until the 25th. I was hoping it would be a bit sooner, especially considering it is a safety recall. But I guess it is what it is. I do have to pick up the 5th wheel from storage before that date so I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope the brakes don't have any problem on a short trip.

Are people able to get the brake recall fixed yet?  A friend has a 22 F450 that I am going to borrow to get my fifth wheel home this weekend.  The dealer claims they can do the brake recall on Thursday.  Any possibility we can believe it will be fixed?  Fifth wheel weighs 16.5 k empty and I don't like the idea of "maybe" having brakes especially using a friend's truck...  Anyone have some words of reassurance?

2 hours ago, TJAldridge said:

Are people able to get the brake recall fixed yet?  A friend has a 22 F450 that I am going to borrow to get my fifth wheel home this weekend.  The dealer claims they can do the brake recall on Thursday.  Any possibility we can believe it will be fixed?  Fifth wheel weighs 16.5 k empty and I don't like the idea of "maybe" having brakes especially using a friend's truck...  Anyone have some words of reassurance?

So far apparently the answer is no. My dealer says Ford is finalizing the software but no go as of Monday when I had my truck is as stated above. Definitely not good. Just waiting for my dealer to call they have it, or someone to post that they got the reflash. Put your VIN in NHTSA and it should show the recall. Letters from Ford not going out until the 18th I believe.

1 hour ago, Ford truck guy said:

Just spoke to my dealer.. they said they are aware of the issue and have the software.. just  need to schedule an appointment

That's what I was told Friday. They didn't per my previous post. Just got off the phone with Ford. Multiple times on hold as they checked status of recall for Super Dutys. He stated that software for F-150 and Maverick was released the other day and software for Expedition and Navigator was released today. He was not showing anything yet for the Super Dutys. He started a ticket and advised to keep checking with the dealer. Oh well. Wait and see. I'll post back if I get the go a head for mine at my dealer. Hope everyone gets theirs resolved. My trailer is not that big, but i feel for those hauling large. Not a good thing to be losing your trailer brakes!

2 hours ago, GCD said:

That's what I was told Friday. They didn't per my previous post. Just got off the phone with Ford. Multiple times on hold as they checked status of recall for Super Dutys. He stated that software for F-150 and Maverick was released the other day and software for Expedition and Navigator was released today. He was not showing anything yet for the Super Dutys. He started a ticket and advised to keep checking with the dealer. Oh well. Wait and see. I'll post back if I get the go a head for mine at my dealer. Hope everyone gets theirs resolved. My trailer is not that big, but i feel for those hauling large. Not a good thing to be losing your trailer brakes!

My buddy was towing his 2022 Grand Design 41' Fifth Wheel when he " glided " past his entrance to the neighborhood at 40 mph.. he was lucky, just got back from a 2 hour tow on a highly travelled freeway...   

At the time he had no idea why he had zero brakes, he had them at the start of the trip, and 1/2 way home as well...

• Like 1

We had an emergency stop condition, and my trailer new hydraulic brakes had not been properly bled.  It was a sphincter moment for us and the young lady who crossed right in front of us.  I would not want to tow without having fully functional trailer brakes.  After bleeding the brakes, and hooking up two days later, couldn't get the truck and trailer brakes to "hookup".  Finally resorted to forcing the trailer brake pump to spin up by connecting plug pin to 12V, proving it wasn't the trailer.  BUT, when I hooked the 7 pin back up again, it was working... sigh.  Worst kind of problem, you don't know what was wrong, what fixed it, and it's working again.

FWIW, my friend that has a 2022 F450 had the brake recall done yesterday.  He doesn't have his trailer to hook up to for confirmation, but the Ford dealer told him it was done.  I guess I will find out in a week as I am going to use his truck to pull my 18k fifth wheel home next Friday.  I better have brakes!