Question on diesel filler nozzle sizes

Total newbie question here….

Looking to order (and waiting for) a new F-350, as I’m buying a fifth wheel, and going to be doing that full time.

I’m most likely getting diesel, and I had a hopefully simple question on the diesel fill nozzle diameter (or whatever it is called).

Can all F-350s accommodate the large fill nozzles/flow rate that are truck stops (meaning they are all the same size)?

Or only the larger 48 gallon take can accommodate them?  I was hoping to get the shorter bed, which only has a 34 gallon tank.

I know the longer bed results in a higher payload capacity, so I might still end up with the 8’ bed anyway, just trying to make an informed decision, and have the options available for fueling.

I promise I have searched multiple places, but diameter/nozzle/filler/diesel/mouth/neck/etc result in so many hits, and I’m not even sure what the exact right term to search for is.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, NewbRvNomad said:

Total newbie question here….

Looking to order (and waiting for) a new F-350, as I’m buying a fifth wheel, and going to be doing that full time.

I’m most likely getting diesel, and I had a hopefully simple question on the diesel fill nozzle diameter (or whatever it is called).

Can all F-350s accommodate the large fill nozzles/flow rate that are truck stops (meaning they are all the same size)?

Or only the larger 48 gallon take can accommodate them?  I was hoping to get the shorter bed, which only has a 34 gallon tank.

I know the longer bed results in a higher payload capacity, so I might still end up with the 8’ bed anyway, just trying to make an informed decision, and have the options available for fueling.

I promise I have searched multiple places, but diameter/nozzle/filler/diesel/mouth/neck/etc result in so many hits, and I’m not even sure what the exact right term to search for is.

Thanks!

I almost always filled up on the truck side of highway truck stops when I had my last diesel Super Duty. Never had a problem, and I had the smaller tank. 

• Like 1

8' Bed

Advantages

• Larger factory fuel tank
  • Additional bed space
  • Smoother Ride
  • I believe higher payload

Disadvantages

• Turning radius of the Queen Mary
  • Parking, see above, and sticks way out further than any other vehicle.

While towing the 5th wheel, I always use truck lanes.  Appreciate the faster fill :)

Given disadvantages of 8' bed, I'd still go with it.  Especially since I ordered the factory retrak roll up top, which rolls down into the bed space.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 5:17 AM, road turtle said:

8' Bed

Advantages

• Larger factory fuel tank
  • Additional bed space
  • Smoother Ride
  • I believe higher payload

Disadvantages

• Turning radius of the Queen Mary
  • Parking, see above, and sticks way out further than any other vehicle.

While towing the 5th wheel, I always use truck lanes.  Appreciate the faster fill :)

Given disadvantages of 8' bed, I'd still go with it.  Especially since I ordered the factory retrak roll up top, which rolls down into the bed space.

You could always level up from the 350 to a 450 to turn the turn radius into an advantage rather than a disadvantage.

10 hours ago, NewbRvNomad said:

Thanks everyone!   I guess I need to crunch some numbers on payload capacity, and try to take a 250 and a 350 out for a test drive on the same route to compare.

you won't see a difference between 250 and 350.  The only real difference is the helper spring, which doesn't come into play until bed is loaded with sufficient weight.

1 hour ago, road turtle said:

you won't see a difference between 250 and 350.  The only real difference is the helper spring, which doesn't come into play until bed is loaded with sufficient weight.

Sorry.  I wasn’t clear.  I meant different bed sizes of either 250 or 350. Really anything they have on the lot, since the answer is often “we have 1.”

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2022 at 8:37 AM, PurdueGuy said:

Sorry.  I wasn’t clear.  I meant different bed sizes of either 250 or 350. Really anything they have on the lot, since the answer is often “we have 1.”

Long bed will have a slightly smoother ride over the equivalent short bed.  IRC long bed had a slightly improved payload, but haven't looked at the published data in awhile.

Ford changed the fuel tank fill long ago to accept the larger fast fill diesel nozzles found at some diesel pumps.  Regardless of the tank size or bed length you should find any fuel nozzle will fit.  Some fuel stops I have found the nozzle is almost too big, but they do fit.  Just be careful not to go full blast with the fuel fill speed.