Tailgate popped open on the road

road turtle

This has not been a good day for a whole bunch of reasons.
Went through some pretty rough roads heading west I44 --> I40.  Decided to I49 to avoid toll road, AND see something other than white line fever.  That was not a good decision as somewhere along the less than sooth roads, tail gate popped open.  Lost some relatively minor stuff, maybe total $200, and I'm not seeing any damage to the 5th wheel, but it was kind of icing on this messed up day.
2022 SD, anybody had this happen before?

49 minutes ago, road turtle said:

This has not been a good day for a whole bunch of reasons.
Went through some pretty rough roads heading west I44 --> I40.  Decided to I49 to avoid toll road, AND see something other than white line fever.  That was not a good decision as somewhere along the less than sooth roads, tail gate popped open.  Lost some relatively minor stuff, maybe total $200, and I'm not seeing any damage to the 5th wheel, but it was kind of icing on this messed up day.
2022 SD, anybody had this happen before?

I believe there was previously a recall for this problem. Check the recalls for your truck.

My King Ranch is a 2022 and I just had the recall done.  Dealer tech told me they had one SD pop a tailgate that did alot of damage to the trailer and

the tailgate.  Now to open my tailgate I have to "hit" the button twice.  Truck won't allow the tailgate to open if in Drive,  only Park. 

3 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Are you f-ing serious?....a recall for a tailgate not staying closed? ?   You think that would be something that they would never have to recall because they would have figured that out over the last... what? 75 years?. 

I don’t think tailgates were computer controlled with push buttons 75 yrs ago.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2022 at 6:38 PM, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Ahhh..so it is an electronic issue. I was assuming turtle was playing Mario cart hitting potholes/rumble strips and trying to Tokyo drift his f350 and the tailgate flopped open from flexing. Ummm yeah

It popped open on a very rough road.  No damage to trailer, but I did lose some stuff out of the bed.  Was not happy to get to my first overnight stop and not have my anderson buckets for the rear jack.  Luckily I also had some blocks in the pass through.  My rear jacks are set to high, and even slightly out of level, I run out of stroke.