reviews of edge begin ...

dtoups

The problem with the vehicle is it is coming into a crowded competitive and somewhat limited market.

It is not going to have the numbers to save Ford.

I suppose the same thing could've been said about the Escape. Kia, Honda, and Toyota all had entries well before the debut of the Escape. Since then Chevy, Pontiac, Saturn, and Hyundai have since entered the market with entries of their own.

Remember the Edge only faces direct competition from Nissan (well and Mazda too). Your Pilots, Highlanders, and Pacifica's may share the same premise (car platforms) but are intended to haul 5+ people thus being more wagon-esque.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford expects about 100k from the Edge. I think they should have no problem. They have a ready customer base in Escape, Explorer, and Expedition owners. And 20,000 dealer orders already.

Also, this is a growing segment, not a shrinking one. Therefore, the number of entries isn't as important, as they are all trying to carve out niches for themselves.

I know it seems like an easy number to reach, I'm just hedging my bets a little. When it comes to 100K units that means Ford needs to sell upwards of 9K per month. That's a decent number, a number that some of the competition didn't reach for a couple years or so (Pilot, Highlander). Keep in mind the poor reputation Ford has of late and that number gets tougher. I can't tell you how many people my age (I'm 26) wouldn't drive a Ford if they were given it for free, it's that bad. Plus, it's an unknown vehicle with no reliability history and no true resale value data, and both are quickly becoming very strong factors in many people's vehicle purchases. So yes, on the surface it seems pretty straightforward that Ford, with a dealer base ~4K strong, should be able to sell around 2 units per dealer per month, equalling the 8-9K per month number required for annual sales of 100K. However, I think the Edge will gradually grow in sales and may cross 100K in its second model year. I would love to be wrong, but I also thought the 500 triplets would catch on over time and sales would improve but instead they're slowing somewhat. Hopefully Fusion triplet sales increase, but they also didn't reach the mark I would have expected. We'll see, I hope I'm wrong for Ford's sake.

The problem with the D3s was that they had nothing to woo the "on the fence" buyer. Its a boring, unemotional car that is adequately powered and perfectly safe. The upcoming updates should deal with some of that problem.

The CD3 is just down on v6 power compared to its competition, and down on safety in the base configurations. The safety issue is being addressed this model year, and power in the MkZ is being addressed. Now, a new option, AWD is available, which makes it even more attractive.

As for the Edge, I wish it was about 200 lbs lighter, got 2 mpg better highway and city, and had about 10-20 more lbs of torque. Why do I say that? the change in weight and torque would make its torque to weight numbers more comperable with some of the sportier CUVs, making people rethink their opinion that it needs more power. The mpg desire is to deal with those that are leaving SUVs because of gas mileage issues. The 200 lbs of weight savings would help right there.

For my money, I would have paid $500 more for a vehicle that used more aluminum to reduce weight and got better mpg figures. 2 mpg over the life span of the vehicle can represent way more than $500 worth of gas, and a lighter vehicle handles and performs better.

Ford enthusiasts are getting the engine they said they wanted....and now it's not powerful enough.....

And the merits of this engine is being judged by how it sounds? Which is a lot determined by sound deadening, size of exhaust system, type of timing belts, where you route pipes, mufflers and resonators, etc.

I would like this engine with 6 speed auto in an Explorer. I'm concerned with how long it lasts and drives trouble free, not how "refined" sounding the accoustic engineers have made it.

Hopefully Fusion triplet sales increase, but they also didn't reach the mark I would have expected.

They reached the number Ford expected, which is--of course--more relevant.

Ford dealers have already ordered about 75 days worth of Edge production, at a 100k a year clip. I don't expect that these vehicles will sit for 75 days before being sold, so I'm guessing that initially, Ford is going to sell these faster than they can build them, and dealers will be hollering for more until next fall.

Trust me, this vehicle is going to sell........... This is exactly the car for today, it hits all the right buttons.

Edited by RichardJensen

Trust me, this vehicle is going to sell........... This is exactly the car for today, it hits all the right buttons.

Yup, I agree. When I first saw this thing at the NAIAS this past January in Detroit, my first thoughts were that "Ford was going to sell a million of these things." Exactly the right vehicle at the right time.

I think Ford will sell every one they can build without having to offer discounts or rebates. I hope the dealer body will do its part by not gouging on the prices.

The Edge will be great for people who need more room than a Fusion but don't need third row seats. I drove Explorers from 1990 to 2001 before I ever needed or wanted a third row. Then I moved to the 2002 Explorer.