Only 3 New Cars Under $20,000 Now

Only 3 New Cars Under $20,000 Now

Automakers have been discontinuing the cheapest models

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/only-new-car-priced-under

FoxBusiness.com_2023-05-02_Parking Lot.jpg

New vehicle sale prices fell below MSRP in March for the first time in nearly two years as supply chain issues continue to ease up, but cars and trucks are still far from cheap.

That is partly due to inflation, but also because many automakers have been focusing on building more of the most profitable high-end trims and discontinuing their lowest-priced models altogether.

The most inexpensive vehicle offered by an American brand is the new 2024 Chevrolet Trax SUV, which is $21,495, following the end of production for the $14,595 Chevrolet Spark hatchback last year.

Along with cuts by other brands, there are only three vehicles left on sale with starting prices including delivery fees below $20,000.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

I remember when my (just out of college) coworkers parents helped him buy an Acura Legend Coupe around 1990. $21k which was twice the cost of my Integra.  That was an expensive car at the time.

There are still lots of vehicle below $30k and several below $25k.  Contrary to what some want you to believe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I remember when my (just out of college) coworkers parents helped him buy an Acura Legend Coupe around 1990. $21k which was twice the cost of my Integra.  That was an expensive car at the time.

There are still lots of vehicle below $30k and several below $25k.  Contrary to what some want you to believe.

I remember paying $4,500 for my 1974 Mercury Cogar XR-7 which was at invoice for a factory order placed directly with the Dealer Principal. I took delivery in December 1973 when we were still dealing with the oil embargo and my Mom took delivery of an ordered 1974 Gran Torino about a month earlier. The neighbors thought we were crazy!

Edited by ice-capades
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Acura Legend Coupe around 1990. $21k which was twice the cost of my Integra.  That was an expensive car at the time.

31 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I remember paying $4,500 for my 1974 Mercury Cougar XR-7

In 2023 dollars, those prices are.

• $48,500 for the 1990 Acura Legend Coupe
  • $27,550 for the 1974 Mercury Cougar XR-7

57 minutes ago, markfnc said:

My 1st new car was a 1992 Ford Ranger XLT.  A/C, am/fm cassette, roll  up windows, no cruise.   Bought for $8500. drove for 75,000 miles, soled for $7500. $18,300 adjusted for inflation 

I bought a 1990 Ranger XLT for $7995.  Reg cab short bed 4 cyl stick am/fm cassette.  Sliding rear window.  Custom wheels and tailgate trim.  Traded it for a loaded 95 Supercab.

• Like 1