Fallout from Chip shortage expected persist for years

https://fordauthority.com/2024/01/fallout-from-chip-shortage-expected-to-persist-for-years/

Found this interesting:

“Perhaps the most significant item that they share with other industries are semiconductors, and they’ve realized that they are not the most important customer when it comes to chips,” said Sam Fiorani, vice-president of global vehicle forecasting at AutoForecast Solutions. “Now automakers are realizing that selling $40,000-$60,000 vehicles doesn’t have to be offset by selling $20,000 vehicles as well. Profits are stronger because of it, and assembly lines seem to be humming along fairly well. The only issue is that entry-level customers are relegated to the used-car market.”

20 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

We need a two tier NHTSA regulation. Tier1: all the nannytronics; hands free driving, on down. Tier2: none of the nannytronics. There are a lot of people who don't need or want airbags covering every square inch of the cabin, and turn off or set to minimum the intelligent cruise, auto panic braking, lane keeping etc, both in new cars and in used.

it It's becoming too expensive to repair a vehicle nowadays. Otherwise repairable vehicles are being totaled, because the expense of replacing the the technology increasingly pushes the cost of repair over the loan value of the vehicle. 

I can't remember who wrote it back in the padded vinyl roof era, Pat Bedard or maybe Brock Yates; somebody: When steering wheel airbags were first mandated, It was suggested that the best crash avoidance system would be, instead of a balloon exploding at your chest, weld a rusty railroad spike in the steering wheel hub pointing right at your heart. Maybe drivers would think twice about tailgating.

23 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

We need a two tier NHTSA regulation.

That will never happen with lawyers and not to mention it would make the vehicles even more expensive to make because you'd have two different ways of building and knock on effects of quality going to shit because there are multiple ways of building something. 

If there was really a crisis in the insurance industry (aka them not making $$$) you'd see it or at least start seeing it with your claims. Apparently its not an "issue" or you'd see push back from insurers. It would be like back in the 1970s when muscle cars where too expensive to insure by their owners. 

29 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

If there was really a crisis in the insurance industry (aka them not making $$$) you'd see it or at least start seeing it with your claims. Apparently its not an "issue" or you'd see push back from insurers. It would be like back in the 1970s when muscle cars where too expensive to insure by their owners. 

It’s not a crisis because the insurers just pass on the added costs to us.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, akirby said:

my premiums have been roughly the same (given inflation etc) for the past 10-15 years and I live in a state with one of the highest insurance premiums. 

56 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

That will never happen with lawyers and not to mention it would make the vehicles even more expensive to make because you'd have two different ways of building and knock on effects of quality going to shit because there are multiple ways of building something. 

35 minutes ago, akirby said:

The insurance industry ain't hurting. Notice how their commercials have supplanted beer commercials?  If I had a choice of buying a Ford "SNT" (Sans NannyTronics) or one with state of the art  passive & active safety devices, would the SNT cost less initially and have a lower insurance premium, or is it possibly the case where, the insurance industry lobbies for more and more sophisticated safety measures, making premiums rise, while arguably injury & death settlements may be decreasing, in number (fewer claims) if not amount, and become easier to write off damaged vehicle because the safety tech pushes repair costs over the wholesale value. This keeps a lot of otherwise safely repairable vehicles off the market, increasing demand, which also keeps overall premiums higher than they might be otherwise.

I am not up on the specifics, but I believe Mexico and/or other Latin American markets offer vehicles without much of the safety gear at substantially lower prices, and presumably lower insurance premiums

Edited by Chrisgb
spelling

53 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

my premiums have been roughly the same (given inflation etc) for the past 10-15 years and I live in a state with one of the highest insurance premiums. 

Mine has definitely gone up and statistics say avg expenditures went up by 25-30% since 2011

43 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

I am not up on the specifics, but I believe Mexico and/or other Latin American markets offer vehicles without much of the safety gear at substantially lower prices, and presumably lower insurance premiums

Nope they are more or less identical to their US and Canadian counterparts, in Mexico at least. Even the Territory, which apparently costs about $35K 

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

Mine has definitely gone up and statistics say avg expenditures went up by 25-30% since 2011

How much of that is demographics or population increases in the area? 

I pay about $2300 a year for two cars where I live at. At one point I was paying that for a single car when I was under 25. My 06 Mustang GT was actually cheaper to insure then my SVT Focus by the order of $500 a year. 

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Michigan just passed a large auto insurance “reform” in 2022 and it lowered my rates quite a bit. They’re now right back to where they were pre-“reform”. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, akirby said:

Mine went up 13% just in the last 12 months. Same vehicle, no accidents, no tickets.

• Like 1