Ford Sales January 2024 - Up 4.3% Overall

4 hours ago, Deanh said:

Im referring to this "not suitable for passenger vehicles "...and yet it IS being pursued...why bleed the cash if its not viable?

The actual quote from Honda and GM specifically says “to a lesser extent, passenger vehicles”.  The refueling infrastructure isn’t there for passenger vehicles so they’re limited to very small areas like Honda did with their Clarity in California.  That won’t scale any time soon.  Large fleets can afford their own dedicated fueling stations.

5 hours ago, chris532 said:

There was a interview with Jim Farley about a year ago, were he said the Superduty lineup would go to Hydrogen power before you saw a full electric Superduty

When you say hydrogen, it throws out hope without the complication of BEV which people are becoming educated about. Hydrogen still seems to capture people’s imagination without really understanding the huge logistics associated with the supply and distribution required…..it’s the same uphill battle in front of it as providing a comprehensive charging network.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Back on January sales, now that inventory levels are growing, I’m hopeful that two things will start happening 

1. Dealers now have more stock to sell to walk in buyers

2. To make the above happen, Ford needs to start offering some cash incentives 

I don’t think Ford is there mentally just yet but maybe that flip comes in March or April.

To me, the big one is lower F Series sales in January, Ford will be trying hard to increase 

that number back to either high 50k or low/mid 60k area. It’s Ford main profit earner.

18 hours ago, akirby said:

The actual quote from Honda and GM specifically says “to a lesser extent, passenger vehicles”.  The refueling infrastructure isn’t there for passenger vehicles so they’re limited to very small areas like Honda did with their Clarity in California.  That won’t scale any time soon.  Large fleets can afford their own dedicated fueling stations.

Amazon is doing that. They just partnered with BP to build a hydrogen fueling station right around the corner from where I live. I’m not sure what exactly the trucks are for, a lot of the local delivery here is their ICE vans (mostly Transits and ProMasters) and the trucks they park there are the bigger box trucks. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo