Ford Has No Future If They Lose the EV Market to the Chinese

mackinaw

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Also those cheaper vehicles bring much smaller profit margins.  But early adopters with cheaper BEVs will do well until the competition ramps up.

The margins are why they had to abandon small sedans in the first place.   (Or lack thereof in many cases.)   Having a $2,000 cost disadvantage vs foreign makes is a death sentence on a small car versus a big margin F-150 or Expedition where you can deal with it a lot more.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lfeg said:

The future in the US for automotive is affordability. And the domestic manufacturers are behind the 8 ball. They have been going upmarket for years, leaving the entry level to the Koreans. In electrification they are going after the premium market, neglecting the lower end of hybrid cars. Even pickups have gotten stupid expensive. The big danger to the domestics is if an offshore manufacturer hits the sweet spot of an affordable vehicle that has a reasonable level of equipment and decent looks. Chinese building in Mexico is a serious threat, but would be a welcome option for a large part of the market.

not sure I agree entirely...theres a sweetspot. The more expensive the product the smaller the audience for sure...but people will step for a slightly more expensive mainstream product IF its a better product , but that has a limit....when cars get over a certain $$$ mark they get checked off the list....I for one would NOT pay what the Bronco Raptor has gone up since I purchased mine ( $11000 increase ) and it was a stretch/ impulse buy at the time ( not sure it was a wise move but Im friggen digging it... )

13 hours ago, Deanh said:

I for one would NOT pay what the Bronco Raptor has gone up since I purchased mine ( $11000 increase ) and it was a stretch/ impulse buy at the time ( not sure it was a wise move but Im friggen digging it... )

Me neither. The 24 Raptor with the same options as the 22 model I bought is now almost $15k more.  I don’t see the value I’m getting for that substantial price increase, as such, I would not buy another one.

On 2/17/2024 at 4:28 PM, tbone said:

Me neither. The 24 Raptor with the same options as the 22 model I bought is now almost $15k more.  I don’t see the value I’m getting for that substantial price increase, as such, I would not buy another one.

Wow, gotta say I don’t blame you, there’s a far bit of helmet factor in that price increase.

Looks like Ford has its own markup scheme (scam).

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Wow, gotta say I don’t blame you, there’s a far bit of helmet factor in that price increase.

Well that is the problem, the dealerships where adding ADMs and the gotta have it people paid it, so Ford said screw it and took the margin.

The dealership I got my Bronco at actually has a 3K discount on a 23 Bronco Raptor they have in stock. 

I'm genuinely curious if pricing will be adjusted downward at all or are they just adding in future discounts that will be needed to move product. 

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Well that is the problem, the dealerships where adding ADMs and the gotta have it people paid it, so Ford said screw it and took the margin.

The dealership I got my Bronco at actually has a 3K discount on a 23 Bronco Raptor they have in stock. 

I'm genuinely curious if pricing will be adjusted downward at all or are they just adding in future discounts that will be needed to move product. 

Exactly and I’d say that depending on the trim level, there’s now a lot more room for incentives if sales slow down, I’m just a little surprised that it’s taken Ford so long to work this out. Maybe you’re right about dealers testing the market with those ADMs and Ford sensing that they could charge a lot more….

• ice-capades changed the title to Ford Has No Future If They Lose the EV Market to the Chinese
10 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Yes, no kidding.  And to be clear I was referencing the Bronco Raptor not the truck, although the truck did go up as well by about $4k for the 23 model over my 22.  The build and price for the 24 wasn’t up yet so I couldn’t see what the change was going to be. Needless to say, it’s getting pretty painful.