2024 Ford Mustang Ups Personalization with Factory Matte Clear Film

2024 Ford Mustang Ups Personalization with Factory Matte Clear Film

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2024/02/26/2024-ford-mustang-ups-personalization-with-factory-matte-clear-f.html#

2024 Ford Mustang Matte Clear Film.jpg

• Available to order starting Feb. 27, optional new Matte Clear Film can be applied to any currently available Mustang paint color to produce a smooth, satin-like finish
  • Covered by Ford’s standard factory warranty, Matte Clear Film gives customers another way to personalize their Mustang and better paint protection than a vinyl wrap
  • Deliveries of Matte Clear Film for Mustang coupe to start in June 2024, available on Mustang convertible by year-end

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 26, 2024 – Mustang customers have an all-new way to personalize their ride with the car’s first-ever factory Matte Clear Film, giving Mustang a stylish satin-like finish while also protecting the car’s paint.

Mustang Matte Clear Film joins other personalization options, including wheel choices, interior colors, contrasting seatbelts, factory painted brake calipers, and bold and exciting paint colors.

Matte Clear Film is available on all Mustang coupe models (EcoBoost, GT, and Dark Horse) and in all factory paint colors, with first deliveries slated to begin in June. It will be available on all Mustang convertible models in the fourth quarter of 2024.

“Mustang has been about driving freedom and freedom of expression for 60 years, and our new Matte Clear Film provides a whole new way for customers to make Mustang their own,” said Laurie Transou, Mustang Chief Program Engineer.

The 2024 Mustang Matte Clear Film is a product of PPG. It’s designed to withstand harsh detergents used at hand or touchless car washes, as well as road salt, bird droppings, bug splatter, and asphalt residue.

Available to order starting Feb. 27 and priced at $5,995, this new option comes with the same 3-year/36,000-mile factory warranty that applies to all 2024 Mustang cars.

Customers who order the Mustang Matte Clear Film for the Mustang Dark Horse will not get the standard Hood Accent Stripe or be able to select the Painted Racing Stripe; Matte Clear Film is not available with the GT California Special package, or the optional graphics packages on the Mustang EcoBoost and GT.

Graphic delete will also be a standalone item on the Mustang Dark Horse for customers who prefer a more under-the-radar appearance on the most track-capable 5.0-liter Mustang ever*.# # #

*With the 2024 Dark Horse Handling Package.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

Mixed feelings on this. 

First, if one is going to do a film, it should have paint correction done first.  Assuming the paint is perfect with no blemishes or hair lines in the clear coat then ok but I don't trust factory paint.

The price is good, I paid about $6,200 for my gt350 to be fully wrapped with xpel.  However, I get a 10 year warranty, no mileage limitations where for is 3/36k.  That's a crap warranty for such an expensive option.

Lastly if you do have a warranty issue, I'd be concerned about a dealer handling this unless they sub it out.  No way would I want a tech replacing the film who doesn't do this every day.

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

Mixed feelings on this. 

First, if one is going to do a film, it should have paint correction done first.  Assuming the paint is perfect with no blemishes or hair lines in the clear coat then ok but I don't trust factory paint.

The price is good, I paid about $6,200 for my gt350 to be fully wrapped with xpel.  However, I get a 10 year warranty, no mileage limitations where for is 3/36k.  That's a crap warranty for such an expensive option.

Lastly if you do have a warranty issue, I'd be concerned about a dealer handling this unless they sub it out.  No way would I want a tech replacing the film who doesn't do this every day.

Maybe the matte finish doesn’t show imperfections like clear?

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

First, if one is going to do a film, it should have paint correction done first.

It depends...you really shouldn't need a paint correction on  brand new car. If anything can add more damage to the paint (if its not done correctly) 

Most of the time shops are just upcharging 

17 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

It depends...you really shouldn't need a paint correction on  brand new car. If anything can add more damage to the paint (if its not done correctly) 

Most of the time shops are just upcharging 

He’s talking mostly about orange peel which can be prevalent on new vehicles, even $200k vehicles.

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

He’s talking mostly about orange peel which can be prevalent on new vehicles, even $200k vehicles.

Orange peel is beyond "paint correction" that is sanding the clearcoat/paint. Your not going to correct orange peel with an orbital buffer. 

I've messed around with expel on my bronco and orange peel is the least of your concerns with it. 

30 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Orange peel is beyond "paint correction" that is sanding the clearcoat/paint. Your not going to correct orange peel with an orbital buffer. 

Paint correction is anything from wet sanding to different degrees of polishing depending on what is wrong.and how bad.  

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 9:02 AM, blwnsmoke said:

Mixed feelings on this. 

I think it’s a pretty cool option, which isn’t cheap, but I agree the warranty is very weak for that kind of money.