Family Car of the Year

07FUSION_tease.jpg

FORD FUSION REIGNS AS "FAMILY CAR OF THE YEAR" AT THE 2007 BOSTON AUTO SHOW

The Ford Fusion is named "Family Car of the Year" by members of the New England Motor Press Association (NEMPA). Award presented at the Boston Auto Show.

Fusion's ride-and-handling, high level of safety equipment and value are the attributes making the four-door sedan a winner in this year's NEMPA balloting

Fusion's sales success is playing a key role as Ford expects to improve its U.S. car market share for the second consecutive year.

BOSTON, November 3 - The Ford Fusion begins its sophomore season with another honor today as it receives the "Family Car of the Year" award from the New England Motor Press Association. The trophy is given during the Boston Auto Show media luncheon at the Bayside Expo Center.

“Put it this way: If you were a teenager looking to borrow the 'family' car," says Ezra Dyer, president, New England Motor Press Association, "you'd be pretty psyched it if that car was a Fusion." The NEMPA jury noted the Fusion's combination of great ride-and-handling, standard safety equipment and value as the factors that put it on the top of the balloting.

"The phrase 'family car' connotes a dearth of fun," adds Dyer, "but the Fusion combines sedan practicality with a level of behind-the-wheel entertainment that you don't typically get in this class, or at this price. And it looks sharp, too."

The Fusion's fall 2005 debut helped Ford regain share of the U.S. passenger car market for the first time since 1993. Sales have exceeded company expectations as the four-door sedan finished its first model year with 138,000 units sold. With Fusion's help, Ford anticipates increasing its car market share for a second straight year in 2006.

Fusion's success among family buyers is due in part to its emphasis on safety equipment, which includes f ront-seat side air bags and side-impact air curtain now standard on all models, in addition to dual deployment front air bags, energy-absorbing safety belts and load-limiting retractors.

Fusion is often cited for its deft driving performance by offering an all-wheel-drive system that improves traction on slick surfaces or better handling in a curve. Drivers can choose a 3.0-liter V6 engine that delivers 221 horsepower. The V6 is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission posting fuel economy numbers of 20 miles-per-gallon (mpg) city and 28 mpg highway. The Fusion's I-4 engine delivers 160 horsepower with fuel economy rated at 23 mpg city and 31 mpg highway.

"We are honored that the New England auto media has singled out the Ford Fusion as this year's best choice in family cars," says Steve Grant, Boston Region sales manager, Ford Marketing, Sales & Service. "Fusion continues building a reputation here in the Northeast among customers who are looking for something special from a four-door sedan, especially in winter driving conditions."

Fusion's success isn't restricted to showroom sales. The sedan is a finalist for the coveted North American Car of the Year Award that will be announced in January 2007. Fusion recently was named "One to Watch" by the editors of Consumer Guide.

Nov. 3, 2006

Great news. Now will Ford use this awar in marketing the car? Especially in the Northeast markets where domestics have a hard time competing with imports?

Scott

And the Northeast is where the class-exclusive AWD feature of the Ford Fusion should be most popular.

They just need to get back to advertising the car, period. All I see are a couple MKZ commercials, the Navigator commercial with the basketball team, and the depressing Freestyle commercial.

I think I've seen ONE Milan awd commercial (I was kinda focusing on Jill).

The Fusion needs its awd option and recent awards all advertised ASAFP.

Beat the 'all new' Camry, too.

Of course, given that Ford's running a 'men behaving badly' commercial, where this guy's date says, "You look like father material", and he proceeds to tear through town like a maniac, after imagining a room full of kids breaking his stuff and crying, etc. His date asks to be let out at the curb.

I really don't see Ford being able to put a voiceover at the end of that commercial saying, "In case that doesn't work, the Fusion was voted the New England Family Car of the Year". But then again, it might. Kind of snarky.

Ford needed this more than any one can imagine. It signals a shift in the the media. As with any organization people genrally are not going to salm their peers. If the one press region has a shift in percievd veiws about Ford others will follow.

This is great news now Ford now needs to exploit this to the hilt, espcieally in the North East.

Matthew

One would hope sarcasm was intended!!

I'd hope so considering I bought the friggin car. Aside from service related issues, issues that techs created, this car has been trouble free (I've had it for 2 months with 4500 miles on the odo). Fit and finish is great, I just can't wait to swap out that head unit for a factory nav system.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

What kind of issues have the techs created?

The sunshade needed to be replaced as the fabric on the very top had started to pull back. A new sunshade was installed, but in the process of doing so they ripped the headliner in several spots near the sunshade opening.

The b-pillar trim on the car was scratched, so it was replaced but not only did they dent the new trim that was installed they also gashed the chrome belt line trim the runs from the front of the car to the back on the door.

Keep in mind these were pre-delivery issues that I had pointed out, not things that happened after I drove off the lot. Yes, I could have taken another car but there were too many Fusions to pick from at that time in September (I'm being sarcastic about the supply, because there weren't any in the state of Florida in a respectable color).

Fusion's success among family buyers is due in part to its emphasis on safety equipment,
But sadly no standard ABS. At least for 2005/06 models.

Fusion is often cited for its deft driving performance by offering an all-wheel-drive system that improves traction on slick surfaces or better handling in a curve.

Talk to me about this one - is this AWD function on all Fusions, or is this press release saying the Fusion is often cited for good driving thanks to an AWD system that was just released recently?

// Seek objectivity wherever one cannot find it

Edited by Roadrunner