2008 Mazda Tribute Pics Leaked

range

Someone on another site made a good observation - the fact that this is a hybrid might show the motivation behind allowing a true rebadge into the Mazda lineup. Right now Mazda has no hybrids so by keeping a version of the Escape/Mariner they can sell a hybrid vehicle in their dealerships. Otherwise this vehicle doesn't fit in with Mazda at all, especially since they now have the CX7 and 9 available. I agree on the styling though, pretty damn boring. I guess that shape just didn't translate to Mazda's current sleek design.

Hmmm, poor Mazda! Ford and Mazda design just don't work well together, especially the interior.

It doesn't surprise me that there is no sheet metal differentiation since the expense isn't really justified now that Mazda has two other CUV alternatives.

Actually, the Mazda looks a tad like a boxier Saturn Outlook.

1775042_257833.jpg

t1_450.jpg

Edited by Edgey

Arf...even the Mariner looks better then this.

The only good thing is their are rumors that the Escape is getting a new platform in the next 4 years or so

The Escape was based on the 626...so the Edge is really riding on some antique parts. I'm not sure it really matters, but improved drive trains would really help. A better body design would also be really welcome!

Edited by Edgey

Ford doesn't replace, they reposition. :banghead:

Well something is up at KCAP, they have rumors that the Escape is going away from them and they are going to close in 2012, something I find really unlikely, but who knows, there is a good chance the Escape will move over to a C2 platform during that time, since the Focus is moving to the C2 in 2010 or so. Why not combine the two at the same plant?

Well something is up at KCAP, they have rumors that the Escape is going away from them and they are going to close in 2012, something I find really unlikely, but who knows, there is a good chance the Escape will move over to a C2 platform during that time, since the Focus is moving to the C2 in 2010 or so. Why not combine the two at the same plant?

C2 is a good 4-5 years away so the timing is about right.

?? Escape or Edge?

I'm guessing it was a slip-up.

CD2 - based (loosely, we'll say) on the Mazda 626 - (loosely) dates back to 1993

Escape, Mariner, Tribute

CD3 - based on the Mazda6 - dates back to 2003

Fusion, Milan, MKZ/Zephyr, MKX, Edge, CX-9, & soon the 2008 Mazda6

I actually prefer the smooth styling of the Mazda to the overdone fussiness of the Mariner. The Escape vs. Tribute, eh. Toss-up, but I still like the five-pointed grille more than the Escape's rectangular piece.

The one question I have - is this real? The Tribute name was supposed to die and become CX-5 to fit into Mazda's new nomeclature. If it really stays named the Tribute either Mazda is very optimistic about the Tribute's brand recognition or Mazda's got something up their sleeve and the new Tribute is a stop-gap.

Given the E/M/T's total lack of worthwhile upgrades in this facelift (Paging 3.5L Cyclone. 3.5L Cyclone please report for duty.) I'm hoping that Mazda's got a new crossover up their sleeve in two years or so.

Scott

Editted to add: left out of the original post was the link to autoblog's report (with additional computer shots of the interior)

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/06/exclusi...te-pics-leaked/

Edited by waymondospiff

I'm thinking that this is a Hybrid stop-gap for Mazda and a companion to the B-series (is that thing still sold?) and a replacement for the the ugliest vehicle in their lineup, the old MPV. I believe that when the GEN-2 hybrid package is released by Ford, it will be fitable in the Cx-7 (remove existing 4 cylinder and turbo, insert new 4 cylinder and generator/motor).

I can imagine that, in the future, the Escape will become a decontented version of the LR2. It would make a LOT of sense to design a global lite SUV platform for Mazda, Land Rover, Volvo, and Ford NA based off of C2. That one platform can share a whole lot of stuff across the world and become very economical. After all, the size of all the possible vehicles will be very similar (XC-50, LR2, Escape-Mariner-MKT?, CX-5).

Nah, that would make too much sense...

Can someone please point me to the Dodge dealership? I am looking for that new Nitro.

That Nitro is definitely nice looking....and on top of that it is produced on the same platform as the jeep liberty....now that is what I say are unique vehicles that have successfully shared a platform along with the same manufacturing facility.

That mazda looks terrible-very disappointed

That Nitro is definitely nice looking....and on top of that it is produced on the same platform as the jeep liberty....now that is what I say are unique vehicles that have successfully shared a platform along with the same manufacturing facility.

That mazda looks terrible-very disappointed

I'll disagree with the Mazda comment, but remember, the Nitro is the "next-generation" Liberty. Wait until Detroit or New York when the new Liberty debuts...then comment on the differentiation.

I'm not saying it won't be, but I'd hold my comments on that for now.

Scott

I'll disagree with the Mazda comment, but remember, the Nitro is the "next-generation" Liberty. Wait until Detroit or New York when the new Liberty debuts...then comment on the differentiation.

Scott

Even if the Nitro and Liberty look exactly the same like hjow ford does there products, there are a ton more examples out their that show how to do it correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone please point me to the Dodge dealership? I am looking for that new Nitro.

The Nitro is more style than function. The Mariner/Escape/Tribute is more function than style. All of the reviews I've read say that the Nitro doesn't handle very well. I think the new 2008 Mariner looks pretty good, though, and I'll be checking one out on December 4th at the Reading Terminal in Philadelphia.

• 4 months later...

They also share the same pitiful fuel economy and weak 4spd auto.

• 2 weeks later...

Scott

Eh, they turned out to look pretty darn similar, actually.

2007-Dodge-Nitro-07104181990002.JPG

jp008_013lb_450.jpg

Still a better rebadging job than a lot of Fords, but still surprisingly similar.

On a similar note...I saw a Nitro on the way to work this morning. It definitely has presence!!