Ford Says 38,000 Have Taken Buyouts

its just amazing that they can unload 38,000+ workers and still produce the same product that they did before the buyouts... talk about over capacity... just shows that the UAW is more worried about headcount than the individual worker or Ford Motor Co.... :(

So...Richie...should I assume this topic is disallowed to the "penalty box" riff-raff? :stop:

its just amazing that they can unload 38,000+ workers and still produce the same product that they did before the buyouts... talk about over capacity... just shows that the UAW is more worried about headcount than the individual worker or Ford Motor Co.... :(

not quite certain if I understand what you mean about the UAW?

and though the buyouts have occurred the actual seperation is not until next september...but you are right....they just have way to many employees...and this does not even touch the salaried employees

Yeah...and I found out that the admin doesn't like it when you poke holes in his anti-Detroit rants.

You wouldn't be "riff-raff" if you had let it go. :ohsnap:

I wasn't the only one still discussing it, and I'd even throttled back a bit by the time he got involved.

I maintain that he decided to show off the penalty box and chose a really strange time and place to do it...given how many people get profanne and what-not here regularly, I'm pretty sure I'm a demonstration or an example.

Edited by ZanatWork

This 46% is the ones the have signed with the intent to leave, at the same time Ford is hiring TPT's or TFT's (temps) to help fill the holes. These temps start at a supposed $18 an hour and anyone that works at our plant now could turn in one app. So between these temps, flowbacks like Biker said, and people transfering from the plants that are closing the idea of overcapacity or the UAW protecting the head count is not all true.

Of the 30,000 claimed to have signed up since 8,000 are already gone, you will see between 15,000 and 22,000 leave.

IF ford can axe 38k workers and still produce the same amount of vehicles it seems profits will come faster than expected.

For who? the shareholders, company, or the executives pockets.

I'm sorry I just can't do the math......... How is it that Toyo's best seller is the camry at about 300K plus a year. and Ford's is the F-series at over 900K a year with about a $10K profit per vehicle and not be more profitable than the Toyo guys?

come on now the fusion can't be that far behind in catching up with the camry soon, and we know that the tundra doesn't have a chance in hell at really competing with the F-150 in sells unless ford gives up on the truckend of the market. what I really would like too know is if Ford is scared of Toyo? and can the fear be the reason why they question themselves so much in styling?

I did attend the Cobo event and do think that Ford has a good chance of stabilizing their market shares with the hit and miss vehicles they displayed. But no one company can be all things for everyone, not even Toyo.

Ford has the capacity, the paid staff, sufficient to design and build 4M cars a year. They build 75% of that, and are cutting back.

That's why they're not profitable.

I must say, however, that I'm quite surprised by the number. This is, IIRC, higher as a percentage, and possibly even higher as a total number, than GM, I can't remember off the top of my head.

However, it DOES make contract negotiations this summer much easier.

Yes, who is going to make the cars and how much quality will they have? The answer is to sell more cars, not lay off half your workers! What a joke!

Lineworkers will be needed, and some employees will be able to 'double dip' by going back to work as temps, if they desire.

Bottom line is that Ford has UAW permission to staff in excess with temps, however Visteon flowback will probably minimize the number of 'temps' that Ford hires.

UAW negotiations this summer may yield a contract that would allow Ford to hire future factory staff as permanent (and, therefore, union), without having the inflexibility of current and past contracts. However, if the UAW takes a hard line over the next 2-3 contracts they may find themselves 'temped' right out of Detroit. They've given permission already for Ford and GM to staff with temps. They best figure out a way to get those temps into the union. It would be better for Ford and GM, the workers, and the employees for the UAW to represent 'temp' workers.

Ford has the capacity, the paid staff, sufficient to design and build 4M cars a year. They build 75% of that, and are cutting back.

That's why they're not profitable.

No doubt about it....way to big for their volume.

I must say, however, that I'm quite surprised by the number. This is, IIRC, higher as a percentage, and possibly even higher as a total number, than GM, I can't remember off the top of my head.

However, it DOES make contract negotiations this summer much easier.

From what I read they anticipate several thousand to change their mind-they have up until the last day to do so-and many signed up just in case things get worse between now and when they are laid off...either way it has to be pretty tough on all involved.