Will the UAW Allow us "salaried" members to get screwed?

bogya

When I started as an RN at Ford I was so proud to be a member of the UAW. :yup: This I thought was a strong and a fair union. :lol2: I felt secure in my job, I can actually say I enjoyed my job. Now I am feeling like the one who has been screwed in the bargaining process. :rip: I am very happy for all of you who have a choice of packages. However I thought I was also a member in good standings. My membership card does not state "salaried" member. Does the hourly membership card state "hourly"? I have just been informed that "they" are still in Negotiations on this matter, but this does not appear to be a hopeful area. There are approx. 600-800 salaried members of the salaried units. I do not understand why we were not included in the initial packages? :shrug: This would have been an easy task to add this small amount of people unto the 75,000. However now if we do not get a package... The bigger question is how is the UAW going to recruit future salaried UAW members? :reading: Ford management will certainly use this as an example to show them that belonging to the union don't account for the card that it is written on. I feel we have been strongly misrepresented by our own union. My name bogya stands for "Bend over, grab your ankles" I guess I thought I would need to do this for Ford, Not my union!!!! :slap:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooy to hear you are getting the business end of the stick.

I think the reality is that nurses will be outsourced like guards have been.

I believe you are right. Nursing will go the way of skilled trades, most likely. I do feel it is a shame that there has been what amounts to a "discriminatory exclusion" of represented salaried workers. Ford's separation program for salaried workers amounts to a few months salary UNLESS you have 25+ years in, or are of a Leadership Level.

One would think that this might be reexamined by UAW leadership, and a stronger stance taken in support of salaried represented members if they truly believed in their own contracts and "Equal application".

Does anyone have any ideas what steps can be taken to reverse the decision to NOT recognize these represented salaried folks?

When I started as an RN at Ford I was so proud to be a member of the UAW. :yup: This I thought was a strong and a fair union. :lol2:

Smell the pride!

an autoworkers union representing nurses?

who wooda thought it could go so bad

maybe the nurses union oughta ornagize the security gaurds

oh wait

nevermind

When I started as an RN at Ford I was so proud to be a member of the UAW. :yup: This I thought was a strong and a fair union. :lol2: I felt secure in my job, I can actually say I enjoyed my job. Now I am feeling like the one who has been screwed in the bargaining process. :rip: I am very happy for all of you who have a choice of packages. However I thought I was also a member in good standings. My membership card does not state "salaried" member. Does the hourly membership card state "hourly"? I have just been informed that "they" are still in Negotiations on this matter, but this does not appear to be a hopeful area. There are approx. 600-800 salaried members of the salaried units. I do not understand why we were not included in the initial packages? :shrug: This would have been an easy task to add this small amount of people unto the 75,000. However now if we do not get a package... The bigger question is how is the UAW going to recruit future salaried UAW members? :reading: Ford management will certainly use this as an example to show them that belonging to the union don't account for the card that it is written on. I feel we have been strongly misrepresented by our own union. My name bogya stands for "Bend over, grab your ankles" I guess I thought I would need to do this for Ford, Not my union!!!! :slap:

Aren't these the same nurses like at NAP who check people in through medical and determine if your excuse is good enough and whether you are excused or disciplined. If all the nurses do that at Ford, SCREW EM!

Smell the pride!

an autoworkers union representing nurses?

who wooda thought it could go so bad

maybe the nurses union oughta ornagize the security gaurds

oh wait

nevermind

:stop: The UAW represents many different types of workers, not just Auto workers. The name of the UAW is NOT "United Auto workers " It is, "United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Wokers of America." They represent everyone from Auto workers, Food services, nursing, and even some lawyers just to name a few. The security guards were not represented by the UAW now or at the time when they were outsourced.

We have been paying our dues just like anyone working on the assembly line, We care for you when you are injured, happy for you when you were offered a package, but have been discriminated against by the UAW and Ford when we were not included in these buy-outs. We are supposed to be United. I do not think this is a difficult issue to understand. I do not understand your comment, please clarify, Do you feel we are being treated fairly when we have been paying the same dues as everyone else and clearly are not being represented like everyone else??? :banghead:

Aren't these the same nurses like at NAP who check people in through medical and determine if your excuse is good enough and whether you are excused or disciplined. If all the nurses do that at Ford, SCREW EM!

We are the same as any other nurse who works for Ford and are required to belong to the UAW as a condition of our employment (just like you are). We are part of the union, and have to go by Ford's rules when accepting a doctor's excuse or not. Unfortunately, so many people in the past have abused the policy so an excuse now has to include the date they were seen, the diagnosis, the statement of disability and when they can return to work. As well as whether or not it is work related if it is an injury. The nurses do not make up these guidelines but we have to follow them. We DO NOT discipline anyone. If the notes are not acceptable we state which part is missing and LR I believe gives you 48 hrs. to get the proper information in, if they do not then at that time Labor Relations deals with it further.

When you say "screw them" You are screwing your union sisters or brothers. Shame on you!! :slap:

:stop: The UAW represents many different types of workers, not just Auto workers. The name of the UAW is NOT "United Auto workers " It is, "United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Wokers of America." They represent everyone from Auto workers, Food services, nursing, and even some lawyers just to name a few. The security guards were not represented by the UAW now or at the time when they were outsourced.

We have been paying our dues just like anyone working on the assembly line, We care for you when you are injured, happy for you when you were offered a package, but have been discriminated against by the UAW and Ford when we were not included in these buy-outs. We are supposed to be United. I do not think this is a difficult issue to understand. I do not understand your comment, please clarify, Do you feel we are being treated fairly when we have been paying the same dues as everyone else and clearly are not being represented like everyone else??? :banghead:

One of the problems is that our plant Nurses are working under a different contract than hourly workers.

And as far as caring for us.The care that I've received from our plant nurses has been for the most part substandard.Example:I went to medical with chest pain and the nurses couldn't even operate the EKG machine and had trouble taking my blood pressure.The nurse that was treating me even asked if I knew someone that could take me to the ER.That has to be one of the dumbest things that I've ever seen from a RN.Anybody RN should know that Chest Pain patients are ALWAYS sent to the hospital per Ambulance!I ended up in CCU and had to have a Cardiac Cath! 2nd example:The nurses give us 1000 mg of Advil for aches & pains.That doseage could put some people in the hospital.Maybe even kill a person with underlying conditions such as liver disease,kidney disease,etc.Many of our nurses are great,but we do have a few that would have touble making the grade in a hospital setting.

I feel sorry for our Nurses and the buyout situation.But the bottom line is they should have held out for a better contract.And maybe they should have refused to go salary.Good luck to all of the Nurses.But they can and will find other high paying jobs much easier than hourly people.Hospitals are begging for RN's!Those that can't find RN work probably have a bad work history or some other problem.By the way,I do know what I'm talking about.I was a Respiratory Therapist for almost 20 years before I was hired on at Ford.I just got tired of healthcare and the crazy schedules.Not to mention Ford pays me a lot more including the benefits.Although I sometimes wish that I would have stayed in the Healthcare field.I guess I'll be going back if things get to bad.

One of the problems is that our plant Nurses are working under a different contract than hourly workers.

And as far as caring for us.The care that I've received from our plant nurses has been for the most part substandard.Example:I went to medical with chest pain and the nurses couldn't even operate the EKG machine and had trouble taking my blood pressure.The nurse that was treating me even asked if I knew someone that could take me to the ER.That has to be one of the dumbest things that I've ever seen from a RN.Anybody RN should know that Chest Pain patients are ALWAYS sent to the hospital per Ambulance!I ended up in CCU and had to have a Cardiac Cath! 2nd example:The nurses give us 1000 mg of Advil for aches & pains.That doseage could put some people in the hospital.Maybe even kill a person with underlying conditions such as liver disease,kidney disease,etc.Many of our nurses are great,but we do have a few that would have touble making the grade in a hospital setting.

I feel sorry for our Nurses and the buyout situation.But the bottom line is they should have held out for a better contract.And maybe they should have refused to go salary.Good luck to all of the Nurses.But they can and will find other high paying jobs much easier than hourly people.Hospitals are begging for RN's!Those that can't find RN work probably have a bad work history or some other problem.By the way,I do know what I'm talking about.I was a Respiratory Therapist for almost 20 years before I was hired on at Ford.I just got tired of healthcare and the crazy schedules.Not to mention Ford pays me a lot more including the benefits.Although I sometimes wish that I would have stayed in the Healthcare field.I guess I'll be going back if things get to bad.

I am sorry that this has happened to you, you are right, that any nurse RN or otherwise, should know how to care for any type of chest pain, and should NEVER give out a dosage of a medication that is not advised. The dose you are stating is not even a prescription dosage. The only dosage we can advise is what you can take over the counter, any other dosage is prescribing which we are not authorized to do by our licensure. (Unless there are signed Doctor's orders that are called Standing Orders) I would hope that this matter was examined closer. Any where you go you can find excellent nurses and unfortunately you can also find substandard nurses. The fact that we choose Occupational Health Nursing as our profession, is the area of nursing that also enabled us to get out of the crazy schedules and the poor health insurance, lifting, etc. I have a spotless work record and feel that I am an asset to my profession. It is not an area of nursing that is easily found in the Midwest area, so by definition we are a displaced worker. Yes, we do have a different contract as well, however neither of our contracts stipulated any buy-out packages. This is where we were unfairly treated. At first the buy-out notice read, "All UAW/Ford workers will be entitled to one of the following packages...." It was quickly changed to "Hourly" when they figured ut that they did not represent the salaried work force.

Just an FYI. The salaried work force actually represents more engineers that are unionized by the UAW/Ford Contracts than it does nurses.

Thanks for your sympathy, but we do need support as well, that is supposed to be coming from our International Union as well as ALL our UAW union brothers and sisters.

As an RN can't you walk anywhere and have credentials to work for a Dr. or hosp, clinic, etc. I think the point is most production ( and Trades they way they have been trained or based on state licensing) can't do the same. Salaried does have different perks and different headaches.

We are the same as any other nurse who works for Ford and are required to belong to the UAW as a condition of our employment (just like you are). We are part of the union, and have to go by Ford's rules when accepting a doctor's excuse or not. Unfortunately, so many people in the past have abused the policy so an excuse now has to include the date they were seen, the diagnosis, the statement of disability and when they can return to work. As well as whether or not it is work related if it is an injury. The nurses do not make up these guidelines but we have to follow them. We DO NOT discipline anyone. If the notes are not acceptable we state which part is missing and LR I believe gives you 48 hrs. to get the proper information in, if they do not then at that time Labor Relations deals with it further.

When you say "screw them" You are screwing your union sisters or brothers. Shame on you!! :slap:

I was involved the LAST time Ford wanted to contractors to fill medical. I protested to our Union all the way to the top to keep YOU. Then YOU and the rest of the nurses let the company turn medical into a branch or Labor Relations. It is my opinion that you got what you deserved. If you would have stood up to the company for Us then you might be entitled to have US stand up for you AGAIN....When a brother or sister turns their back on their brother or sister I say SCREW EM. I have NO USE for them EVER again. I am GLAD you weren't included in the separation packages so you might learn for next time what UNION means. I am also GLAD you still paid dues the whole time you were company too. If you would have took a stand against the company you would have seen who would have stood with you. Now you want US to try and help you? NO WAY. You had your chance to earn the respect and support of your brothers and sisters but you threw that away. Maybe someone else will feel sorry for you. I don't.

Unfortunately, so many people in the past have abused the policy so an excuse now has to include the date they were seen, the diagnosis, the statement of disability and when they can return to work. As well as whether or not it is work related if it is an injury.

The company cannot require a diagnosis!!!!!!!!! Read it again. And again.

HIPPA HIPPA HIPPA

I hear ya...and I feel your pain. Just like the pain I felt in my leg when I went into medical a few times to say that something wasn't right. The answer from the Doctor was did you move furniture at home? Ha, thank GOD the man upstairs was looking over me. I know they probably thought I was abusing the system because this occured the week before shut down. So I took their pain medicine and left Friday before shut down 2003 and next day went to the hospital having a hard time breathing...Blood Clot in the leg (DVT) and then (PE) Clot ending up in Lungs (Most people do not live thru this!!) Some people actually have serious issues. I could not return to work for a long time because of oxygen machine hook up at home. I completely went into respitory arrest something my 7 year old will always have to remember.

As an RN can't you walk anywhere and have credentials to work for a Dr. or hosp, clinic, etc. I think the point is most production ( and Trades they way they have been trained or based on state licensing) can't do the same. Salaried does have different perks and different headaches.

My point is not one of licensure or training. It is on fairness. The perks we have as salaried is to pay almost $500.00 a month for our benefits because of the differences in our contracts. The true "Perks" you are talking about do not come until you reach a leadership level, needless to say no-one is a member of the UAW in this rank. We do not get the EDTP programs either. ANYONE on the line could've and many did obtain their college education while employed at Ford on the line and under the hourly contract. (This is free to whomever chooses to use it) This I am glad for. We do have a different contract and I respect that, however we are UAW members and we are an active Full Time employee of Ford. These were the two requirements that had to be met for the buy-outs, the buy-outs are not noted in anyones contract. We pay the same dues as anyone else does, and NO we do not get paid even as much as a person who has been on the line for over a year when you deduct the amt. that we pay for health insurance, life insurance, dental insurance, vision, etc. As nurses we came to the Ford Motor Company and became members of the UAW with a college education, should this penalize us when it comes to a buy-out package ?

:slap:

I was involved the LAST time Ford wanted to contractors to fill medical. I protested to our Union all the way to the top to keep YOU. Then YOU and the rest of the nurses let the company turn medical into a branch or Labor Relations. It is my opinion that you got what you deserved. If you would have stood up to the company for Us then you might be entitled to have US stand up for you AGAIN....When a brother or sister turns their back on their brother or sister I say SCREW EM. I have NO USE for them EVER again. I am GLAD you weren't included in the separation packages so you might learn for next time what UNION means. I am also GLAD you still paid dues the whole time you were company too. If you would have took a stand against the company you would have seen who would have stood with you. Now you want US to try and help you? NO WAY. You had your chance to earn the respect and support of your brothers and sisters but you threw that away. Maybe someone else will feel sorry for you. I don't.

The bigger question is how is the UAW going to recruit future salaried UAW members? Ford management will certainly use this as an example to show them that belonging to the union don't account for the card that it is written on.

You NOW see that your jobs were not important to the UAW, it is only your UNION DUES that was important to them.

Ford, Toyota, Nisson, etc. will definitely use this information to inform their workers of how the UAW sells out their members. The UAW is crumbling and all union members will lose more and more.

Edited by Tedhvac

The company cannot require a diagnosis!!!!!!!!! Read it again. And again.

HIPPA HIPPA HIPPA

You're right, however Ford has stated that they do not have to excuse the absence without the diagnosis, it is called signing a release of information with your MD to allow the diagnosis to be released. Again these are Ford's rules, we had them write it down on letterhead with a signature to give out to employees to show our UAW membership that these ARE NOT our rules, they are Ford's. Again, it is unfortunate that members of the past have abused the attendance policies to force implementation of these rules. I am not saying this is right, however, if this is company policy we do have to follow it.

Again, I am very sorry you feel this way. I can personally say that I feel our membership at TCAP for the most part are very supportive of our expertise and our support to them. They feel that we are being screwed as well. Again, we are in NO WAY a member of labor relations. At times I realize that people who do not meet Ford's Written policy are upset with us when we cannot approve a note by an MD due to missing information. I think perhaps you have had some poor experiences, and I can tell I will not be able to change your mind. You are indeed entitled to your own opinions, just for a minute try putting the shoe on the other foot, and imagine if we were the ones getting the package and "hourly" UAW members were not. Would you feel like you have been unfairly treated at that point?

You NOW see that your jobs were not important to the UAW, it is only your UNION DUES that was important to them.

Ford, Toyota, Nisson, etc. will definitely use this information to inform their workers of how the UAW sells out their members. The UAW is crumbling and all union members will lose more and more.

Yes, This is so very true and sad. The last sub-council meeting we were asked to recruit members into the UAW and to concentrate on the salaried members. My question to the International Union is, "What can I tell them is the benefit?" To date I have not received a reply. Unfortunately for the longevity of the UAW, this will be an example to future members that Management will use against the UAW. The membership will continue to drop. I personally have written the International on this concern. I sincerely hope that what the UAW is doing now will not affect future retirement benefits, as well as benefits in General. This next contract is going to be giving up much more than the nursing units.

Thank You so much for seeing the bigger picture!! :happy feet:

Yes, This is so very true and sad. The last sub-council meeting we were asked to recruit members into the UAW and to concentrate on the salaried members. My question to the International Union is, "What can I tell them is the benefit?" To date I have not received a reply. Unfortunately for the longevity of the UAW, this will be an example to future members that Management will use against the UAW. The membership will continue to drop. I personally have written the International on this concern. I sincerely hope that what the UAW is doing now will not affect future retirement benefits, as well as benefits in General. This next contract is going to be giving up much more than the nursing units.

Thank You so much for seeing the bigger picture!! :happy feet:

The AAI nurses are employees of Oakwood Hospital and have been for a long time. I do not know if they are UAW or not?? I'm suprised most didn't look at this as the future of our nurses. It is sad but if you in fact became UAW members, why didn't you convert to hourly?? And I see you made reference to paying $500.00 a month in benefits. I personally know a nurse at Ford and she gets paid a fair wage over the hourly line worker. We only make the same as you if we work overtime.

The AAI nurses are employees of Oakwood Hospital and have been for a long time. I do not know if they are UAW or not?? I'm suprised most didn't look at this as the future of our nurses. It is sad but if you in fact became UAW members, why didn't you convert to hourly?? And I see you made reference to paying $500.00 a month in benefits. I personally know a nurse at Ford and she gets paid a fair wage over the hourly line worker. We only make the same as you if we work overtime.

In the last contract (I was not the rep at that time) The vote to go hourly did not carry. I am unsure as to why? In the next contract this is precisely what we will be going for. (likely will be a mute point if they succeed at outsourcing us- It is obvious that the UAW will not fight for our jobs) I have been at Ford for 3 1/2 years, perhaps the nurse that you speak of is a Sr. Nurse, or she/he does not carry the insurance for the family. This past year it changed to the fact that if we had husband's on our policy, we have to pay an extra $110.00 per month for health insurance and an extra $10.00 a month for dental insurance besides the premium we paid in the past. To add to that we also pay $20.00 for a co-payment ($50.00 if it's for an ER visit), and $10.00, $20.00 or $30.00 co-pay for prescriptions. They have already informed us that this will go up another 30% next year! I have a strong feeling that this is what the hourly contract will also be in 9/2007. Hopefully not, but it is a known fact that the medical coverage is the excuse that Ford is using to state their case of financial loss. My personal feelings is that the policies need to be changed at the Federal level to reward the employers that provide their employees with an affordable health insurance plan. This however is a whole together different topic.

Again, I am very sorry you feel this way. I can personally say that I feel our membership at TCAP for the most part are very supportive of our expertise and our support to them. They feel that we are being screwed as well. Again, we are in NO WAY a member of labor relations. At times I realize that people who do not meet Ford's Written policy are upset with us when we cannot approve a note by an MD due to missing information. I think perhaps you have had some poor experiences, and I can tell I will not be able to change your mind. You are indeed entitled to your own opinions, just for a minute try putting the shoe on the other foot, and imagine if we were the ones getting the package and "hourly" UAW members were not. Would you feel like you have been unfairly treated at that point?

You are getting EXACTLY what you deserve. If the shoe was on the other foot I would not allow the company to USE me as a branch of Labor Relations. I would have made a stand on the Federal law that doesn't allow an employer to require a diagnosis. YOU and all the other company stooges went right along with that BS and now your going right along to the unemployment line WITHOUT a severance package. If I did what you did not only would I not feel unfairly treated but I would be embarrassed at my actions towards my fellow union brothers and sisters. I wouldn't be on here with hard working hourly workers trying to drum up sympathy for myself after turning coat on the rest of the Union. I am also not pleased that you spout off the company line about medical abusers. We all know that this problem exists but you are NOT the judge and jury for the company. You should have told them you wouldn't violate Federal law. Not only did you do wrong but you still WONT admit it. I have never had a poor experience with medical I hardly EVER missed a day of work so don't try and pin that abuser line on me. You are only trying to justify your actions and have severely missed the mark. YOU have abused your membership in the UAW and you got what you deserved. No more and no less.

My point is not one of licensure or training. It is on fairness. The perks we have as salaried is to pay almost $500.00 a month for our benefits because of the differences in our contracts. The true "Perks" you are talking about do not come until you reach a leadership level, needless to say no-one is a member of the UAW in this rank. We do not get the EDTP programs either. ANYONE on the line could've and many did obtain their college education while employed at Ford on the line and under the hourly contract. (This is free to whomever chooses to use it) This I am glad for. We do have a different contract and I respect that, however we are UAW members and we are an active Full Time employee of Ford. These were the two requirements that had to be met for the buy-outs, the buy-outs are not noted in anyones contract. We pay the same dues as anyone else does, and NO we do not get paid even as much as a person who has been on the line for over a year when you deduct the amt. that we pay for health insurance, life insurance, dental insurance, vision, etc. As nurses we came to the Ford Motor Company and became members of the UAW with a college education, should this penalize us when it comes to a buy-out package ?

:slap:

How about you work a job on the line for a week or so and then repost.