The downward spiral of the Dodge Magnum

Paul Selby

Well here's my say about it...

People looking at the vehicles probably decided that they would use more room in the cargo area so they chose a larger X-over or SUV. Sure the wagon back profile might have been interesting to some when it first showed, but there is now a rebellion against 2-box designs if you want something personal. Perhaps the style is too much like the SUV they were trying to get out of.

The Magnum is saddled with that ugly Dodge Truck front end. Perhaps they might get a better response with the Charger nose and name on it. All the LX cars have mix and max design and combine front ends. I think the Charger image is stronger than Magnum anyway and that is more what customers want to identify with. It's like the choices made in 1977 forgoing the LTDII for the Thunderbird which they sold the hell out of. Same basic car, slightly different style but one with a dominant established image people aspired for.

The Magnum name was not sucessful in 1978 either. It was brought in to replace the Charger in 1978 when in fact the only thing the Charger needed was a style update, not a new name. Even more confusing, the name suggested performance when the car became a luxury liner. Also, at one point they actually made two different Chargers. One was a Coronet two-door while the other was Cordoba based. Later, they attempted to sell a Charger alongside the Magnum for one year until the Charger name was dropped.

The Magnum in 1978 was short lived and replaced with the Mirada name. That didn't sell either. Of course nothing Chrysler made then sold all that well. Chrysler was like a underdeveloped third world country where everyone else wanted Ford and GM products. It wasn't until Chrysler brought something out that Ford or GM did not want to offer that they had any success.

Anyway, back to the Magnum and LX cars... Exterior styling is subjective but the tupperwear interior has to go... It kinda strange that so far Chrylser has done nothing in the way of updates to improve or make these cars more attractve. It doesn't seem like that long ago they got here with those models. Considering the long lead in preview and concept car time then actual production models a few years ago it's time for an update before they get TAURUSITIS....

Sales for November

500 --3437 (downward spiral?)

Freestyle --2740 (downward spiral?)

Freestar --1597 (downward spiral?)

GM --2469 (downward spiral?)

Montego --932 (not even 1000?) (downward spiral?)

Milan --2417 (downward spiral?)

MKZ --3028

Navigator --2420 (Aspen 2365)

Look at those numbers and 2k for a niche product to fill the line up doesn't look to bad.

Sales for November

MKZ --3028

Look at those numbers and 2k for a niche product to fill the line up doesn't look to bad.

Agreed,

And personally, I'd be quite happy to have one of these in our driveway...Ford guy or not.

Worst still is the Magnum was over 50% fleet sales at the beginning of the year, its probably even higher now as the retail buyers shun it.

Still quoting that article that also said the Mustang was almost 20% fleet? :doh:

Anyway, back to the Magnum and LX cars... Exterior styling is subjective but the tupperwear interior has to go... It kinda strange that so far Chrylser has done nothing in the way of updates to improve or make these cars more attractve. It doesn't seem like that long ago they got here with those models. Considering the long lead in preview and concept car time then actual production models a few years ago it's time for an update before they get TAURUSITIS....

New interior and fascias for '08 (should be at NAIAS next month) for the Magnum. Charger and 300 to follow a quarter later.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Still quoting that article that also said the Mustang was almost 20% fleet? :doh:

I can believe that Mustang sales might be 20% fleet. Rental car companies love the revenue convertibles bring for vacationers in sunny climates and other special occasions...

Sales for November

MKZ --3028

Interesting to note to, it is a body style variation.. The Charger a sedan and the Magnum a wagon. Traditionally they would carry the same nameplate.

It's a Chrysler, which means crappy quality and terrible sight lines out of the rear of the car.

I'd love to get a RWD station wagon, only mine would be something usefull and completely reliable - bring back the Colony Park on the Panther platform!

Alas, it will never happen - Ford only reworks foreign designs now, and in the future.

I can believe that Mustang sales might be 20% fleet. Rental car companies love the revenue convertibles bring for vacationers in sunny climates and other special occasions...

Interesting to note to, it is a body style variation.. The Charger a sedan and the Magnum a wagon. Traditionally they would carry the same nameplate.

As the 500 and Freestyle should have. Ford had no problem in offering the Taurus in sedan and wagon models.

Magnums are just not hot producs like the 300, not with the 'sales bank'. A Safeco Insurance office by my job has a few parked, with logos on the side. Hardly a good image for a 'sporty car'. Look like 'Orkin Man' vehicles

People went oo and ahh at intro, but then bought pickups, FWD sedans, and older RWD project cars instead.

Wagons are just simply still stuck with the "not cool" image. Yeah at first the Magnum sold well because there's a certain amount of hot-rod guys out there that this appealed to, but those guys probably bought theirs by now so sales have fallen. I think the station wagon image is also killing the Freestyle because it simply looks far more like a station wagon than any SUV I can think of.

As the 500 and Freestyle should have. Ford had no problem in offering the Taurus in sedan and wagon models.

Ford probably remembered Honda's experience with the Civic wagon in the late 1980s and early 1990s. When badged as a Civic, it didn't sell all that well, despite good room, good build quality and lots of nice features.

Restyle it as a small SUV, keeping building it on the Civic platform, give it a new name and...the result is the

CR-V, which has been a huge sales success.

Ford had the right idea with the Freestyle and the Five Hundred. The execution (dull styling, wimpy motor) is the problem.

Edited by grbeck

It was a risk and did alright for a year or two. But the styling was such that it really couldn't totally take the stigma out of owning a station wagon, especially when the crossovers came into being.

Still I admire Chrysler for at least trying with innovative styling and the offering of a big engine.

Something I wish Ford might try for a change instead of continually offering boring styling that is underpowered. :glare:

It wasn't the station wagon stigma that killed it, it was the execution. The Magnum was conceived as 1) a muscle car that guys could sell their wives on, and 2) a car that would lure tough-guy SUV buyers out of their trucks. That's the premise. It's not a bad one - combine a bit of crossover functionality with a decent interior, aggressive looks, optional performance, and practicality - and Chrysler should get credit for trying it.

But they screwed it up. The Magnum has one HUGE flaw. Sit any woman (and many men) in a Magnum for the first time and they all say the same thing: "Wait, I can't see out the back!" The rear view is comparable to that on a '70s mid-engined exotic, that is to say, like looking through a postal slot. Not good.

Boom, end of spousal discussion, especially if the new car is going to be a kid-hauler. They either look at a Charger or go shop crossovers and SUVs.

It wasn't the station wagon stigma that killed it, it was the execution. The Magnum was conceived as 1) a muscle car that guys could sell their wives on, and 2) a car that would lure tough-guy SUV buyers out of their trucks. That's the premise. It's not a bad one - combine a bit of crossover functionality with a decent interior, aggressive looks, optional performance, and practicality - and Chrysler should get credit for trying it.

But they screwed it up. The Magnum has one HUGE flaw. Sit any woman (and many men) in a Magnum for the first time and they all say the same thing: "Wait, I can't see out the back!" The rear view is comparable to that on a '70s mid-engined exotic, that is to say, like looking through a postal slot. Not good.

Boom, end of spousal discussion, especially if the new car is going to be a kid-hauler. They either look at a Charger or go shop crossovers and SUVs.

Haven't been in a Magnum yet, but that sounds like an excellent point. Rear visibility in today's vehicles are barely anything compared to what we had 15, even ten years ago.

The Magnum's basic problem may be the same as the Five Hundred's - lack of advertising. For any other product you can name, brand image is a function of constant, consistent advertising. When was the last time you saw an ad for either of these vehicles?

There was a series of TV ads for Magnum that ran in 05 and early 06. They've been focused on other launches since.

I don't remember ever seeing a Five Hundred TV ad.

Naturally, I happen to think the Magnum is the only attractive Dodge on the lots.

But these numbers don't seem half bad for such an unusual package. When you see how poor Montego and 500 sales are, despite being VERY conventional sedans, then this does not seem bad at all.

Wagons just don't score very well in this modern era. Credit goes to Dodge for actually making it cool to own wagon again...only if it was to be short-lived. One gripe I have with the Magnum is the cheap looking front end of the V6 models. The R/T with the chrome billet grille and chromed headlight trim looks 1000x better...and not everybody can get the Hemi.

I imagine with the anticipation over the Challenger and the need to keep the 300 and Charger going as strong as possible, the Magnum becomes a victim soon. I would say this though...I'd love to have bought a brand-new SRT-8 Magnum to keep as a low-mileage cruiser. That car will probably be destined to be worth something one day. Collectors will look back fondly at the 425 horsepower wagon that sold in very low numbers. One of the local dealers had one not too long ago for $38,000 fully-loaded.

Yessh, they've only been out for 3 model years, I can't think of any maker that does major refreshes any sooner (unless the car is a certifiable disaster)

Anyhow....here's the 2008 Magnum with redesigned front/rear end and interior (SRT-8 modfel pictured).

Spy shots:

BP_magnumsrt8_02.jpg

BP_magnumsrt8_04.jpg

BP_magnumsrt8_01.jpg

No more truck front end. Looks almost like the Mustang in the lower bumper.