Mainstream Mustangs

Hugh

If done right it could work. If done wrong it could be a disaster. They have to package and market the new cars correctly. What would they be called? Would Mustang be a brand like Mercury? This will take some very careful planning to succeed.

On a less cautious note, this is the kind of creative bold thinking Fords needs to succeed! Keep the ideas coming!

Edited by Tico

If by succeed you mean fail, then yes, coming out with a sedan and wagon called "Mustang" would be brilliant.

Count me among the many who are disturbed by this development. :rant:

Agreed. They need to not focus on the mustang's heritage with a sedan and wagon, but rather Ford's heritage. No where in the history of the mustang was it ever a wagon or sedan. It was a hatchback but that can be forgiven. Call it a falcon, fairlane, torino, or any other great name from Ford's past, but don't call it a mustang.

What kinda crack have these Ford people been smoking? Did they not learn anything from the "everything's a Cougar" fiasco? Not to mention the number of Cutlasses there were in the 1980's.

I'd rather them use the name Thunderbird on a four door sedan variant only if they decide not to market a coupe or convertible for the Thunderbird. But please no wagon. We didn't ask for it and there are already SUV's and CUV's for that. Maybe there is room for a Ranchero.

This crappy idea is gonna water down the Mustang name into obscurity. Self-sabatoge. That is what Ford is good at.

Anyway, lets just hope it's a bad rumour. They would do better to bring back the Falcon name to the US market since that is likely to be the new platform it would be based on.

The Mustang should always be 2-door coupe (fastback or notchback) or 2-door convertible. The Mustang should not become a family of "Fairmonts".

No where in the history of the mustang was it ever a wagon or sedan. It was a hatchback but that can be forgiven.

As I responded in another thread a while back: ALL the Fox-bodied Mustangs from 1979 to 1993 are sedans (the one's that aren't convertibles, anyway). The term "sedan" refers to a vehicle that has visible B-pillars, and usually has frames around the door windows. It doesn't mean "family car", or "short hood, long cabin", or "geriatric car driven by a hat." It just refers to the B-pillar. Without the B-pillar, the vehicle is referred to as a "hardtop." This has been the accepted usage for over 50 years.

OTOH, no (factory) Mustang has ever had 4 doors.

If anyone at Ford even entertained the idea, they should be immediately dismissed and their severence/retirement/etc axed - as they should be considered a sabateur.

On the other hand, using the platform to generate another model(s) would be wise as Ford is way behind in utilizing platforms/architecture/components (commonality) across the entire fleet to cut costs ( a la Toyota and others). I don't know what happened to the "modular" concept that Ford came up with a few years back, or if that was only intended to be with the engines (if so, how could any exec worth a pay-check think that it was a good idea and not apply it to all aspects of manufacturing?), but this everything must be "unique" mentality must end at Ford - if they are going to compete with Toyota, GM, Honda.

So if this is a start of commonality - then great. If anyone thought of using the Mustang name - axe them.

I've been out of the loop for awhile having not posted on here for a couple of months but sounds like Autoweek just has their wires crossed. I imagine a sedan and wagon on the stretched platform makes more sense, sharing engines, drivetrains, etc. Ford is just doing in reverse what DCX is doing. First came the LX sedans/wagon and then the Challenger. Ford is reversing the trend, going from coupe to sedan/wagon.

As a side note, that is one ugly nose on that Autoweek concoction. I hope Ford doesn't use that for inspiration or they can just shoot the horse.

As a side note, that is one ugly nose on that Autoweek concoction. I hope Ford doesn't use that for inspiration or they can just shoot the horse.

I'm not sure whether that was just an Autoweek goof or an actual trial balloon from some clueless soul in Ford's marketing department, but either way, it seems pretty clear that Ford got the message and won't be doing this.

I'm not sure whether that was just an Autoweek goof or an actual trial balloon from some clueless soul in Ford's marketing department, but either way, it seems pretty clear that Ford got the message and won't be doing this.

Publicity stunt... just to attract attention... Not any different that the acting Donald and Rosie have been doing lately....