Ford Announced Edge-Urban campaign

igor

This makes absolutely no sense for the Ford brand.

This is obviously a Mercury target customer.

Mark my words on Dec. 18 2006, 7:30 pm EST, "One of the higher ups from marketing will either be fired or 'retire' over the Ford Edge marketing screw ups"

Do it.

I don't give a hoot how its marketed. Lets just hope they heed the Fusion(yes)/500(not so much) lesson and continue to market it past the initial launch...

BTW, did the other music linked stuff ever pay dividends? Kelly whatshername and the GT500 I never saw on TV, just the enthusiast sites, the Toby truck campaign I turned off on general principles underlying my personal dislike of ersatz country. Did I miss something else?

I do however vivedly recall the ONE(best car commercial ever, three voice lines and a car doing what the car does), and the other one with Dad and son and the passing of the leadfoot. I also noted the new F-150 campaign with the truck and the horse neighing. That and the Super Duty one with the dually pulling the tunnel stuck rig out of the way of the ambulance made impressions.

Probably time for a thread about what sticks in terms of marketing, but we are a pretty savy focus group...I gotta figure the Shelby and the cops one was someones attempt at a viral video that didn't go past the converted...

Pretty hard to top the ONE for a superbowl add, wonder if they have one for this year?

It could have been worse.

Has anyone at Ford listened to Kelis' music or seen her music video? So instead of the Enzo it will be an Edge in her next music video :hysterical:

Wow.

Thanks for taking the time to do the due diligence - I'm getting so old that I can barely tell tell if these videos are for real or some kind of satire. If this is the target demo, then that is what that is - I guess I'm out.

So, I guess milkshakes fit in these cupholders? Umm...yeah.

Reading the press release it sounds like a well-integrated campaign. Radio shows, sweepstakes/giveaways, TV ads, targeted print ads. Impressive. Hopefully, the actual execution of the program goes off well.

The website, www.fordurban.com , doesn't seem to be working yet.

Scott

Wow.

Thanks for taking the time to do the due diligence - I'm getting so old that I can barely tell tell if these videos are for real or some kind of satire. If this is the target demo, then that is what that is - I guess I'm out.

This isn't "the" target demographic, it's one of many target demographics. Just as this ad campaign doesn't appeal to you, there's probably many current Ford ads that don't appeal to blacks, or asians, or whoever. That's why you need to diversify your ads to appeal to each niche, there's not many universal ad campaigns that simply appeal to everyone equally.

I don't get it -- you wouldn't buy a car that is marketed to people you are different from? You're not buying an image, your buying a car.

Just to clarify - I did not mean to imply that the car is outside of my consideration, just that "I'm out" of that target demo...

As far as "image" is concerned, please look at what I own/owned in my sig - If I'm concerned about image, I'm in deep trouble. That said, many of the astute marketing folks on these boards might give you an argument on whether the car or the image is what is for sale.

This isn't "the" target demographic, it's one of many target demographics. Just as this ad campaign doesn't appeal to you, there's probably many current Ford ads that don't appeal to blacks, or asians, or whoever. That's why you need to diversify your ads to appeal to each niche, there's not many universal ad campaigns that simply appeal to everyone equally.

True.

Any thoughts on whether narrowly focused ads might actually alienate potential buyers ? - e.g. I've observed folks on these threads bash trucks and their buyers just because they don't like the associated imagery...

I would guess that these ads are going to run in magazines I don't read and on tv shows I don't watch. So what. If that was the only ad they ran it would be a problem, but since its not it doesn't matter to me.

I hope Ford is marketing its products to a broader group than 46 y.o. white guys. I don't expect that the urban youth would be interested in ads that might appeal to me, any more than I would be interested in or swayed by Kellis.

ARRRRRGGHHHH YOU GUYS MAKE ME WANT TO SCREAM!!!

MASS MARKETING IS DEAD TO FORD!!!

Its about the TARGET customer. Mass Market is soooo WWII

WWII is over folks, we're in Iraq now, only the small and strong survive. Small markets are the future, Mass Market, like WWII, is in the past.

Read Richards link, or better yet, read it again

ARRRRRGGHHHH YOU GUYS MAKE ME WANT TO SCREAM!!!

MASS MARKETING IS DEAD TO FORD!!!

Its about the TARGET customer. Mass Market is soooo WWII

WWII is over folks, we're in Iraq now, only the small and strong survive. Small markets are the future, Mass Market, like WWII, is in the past.

Read Richards link, or better yet, read it again

Ok - so I RE-read the Ford marketing announcement regarding their marketing approach. It may very well be the way to go. Applying what you read at that link, and trying to not scream at those of us who don't see this all so clearly, like me, who do you see as "the TARGET customer" for the Edge? Others on this thread have suggested that the Edge is not marketed to "the TARGET customer", but marketed by unique targeted ads for different potential customers. Please forgive me if I'm coming across as dense, but I'm finding some of the explanations of the marketing approach here to be contradictory.

You cannot shrink a company into prosperity. By targeting a small, exclusive part of a population, you have less sales. Less sales equals a smaller company with a smaller budget. A smaller budget equals a smaller product offering, then start it all over again. Do that cycle a few times, and there will be no more Ford Motor Company.

The point your missing is that Ford can build roughly 4 million vehicles a year, when it only sells just over 3 million. It needs to "shrink"/"right-size" itself so it can make money again. Ford isn't targeting a small,. exclusive market, its more directly targeting niches in that market to appeal to them better.

Having nothing but white folks driving around in Edges in advertising won't appeal to African Americans or even Asian Americans.

And the point you are missing, is even after they "right" size their production capacity, if you build and target vehicles for a limited customer base, then in a few more years you will be back where you started with excess capacity.

Thats what your missing, Ford isn't directly designing the Edge/Fusion or whatever to just fit the Urban lifestyle, just like a F-150 isn't just for your southern hick working on a farm. Their products can appeal to both, as long as they are marketed properly...

As for the Edge marketing campain, they aren't ignoring other markets...

Edited by silvrsvt

Same here. :slap:

You cannot shrink a company into prosperity. By targeting a small, exclusive part of a population, you have less sales. Less sales equals a smaller company with a smaller budget. A smaller budget equals a smaller product offering, then start it all over again. Do that cycle a few times, and there will be no more Ford Motor Company.

But didn't Ford say that the majority (55-60%) of new vehicle purchases are now by women. I honestly think that if Ford had to choose a pop star for their campaign, Kelis was a good choice. Her songs don't just appeal to blacks, they span all races and appeal to all women and even some gay guys ("My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard..." ;) ) .

I think women have to be targeted, to sell a woman a car it has to appeal to their lifestyle, & usually it takes a large advertising campaign to tell a woman what her lifestyle is (not meaning to be offensive). Whereas men on the other hand will crunch the numbers & features and could care less if a car fits into their lifestyle, they just want what they want. Men could care less what Brad Pitt is driving (or wearing), but women do care what their celebrity peers are wearing and possibly driving. For cars to be sold to women they have to take on a fashionable/retail/accessory tone. This is why companies don't need to market cars to men & why they are reducing their budgets for marketing to men.

Edited by JM

But didn't Ford say that the majority (55-60%) of new vehicle purchases are now by women. I honestly think that if Ford had to choose a pop star for their campaign, Kelis was a good choice. Her songs don't just appeal to blacks, they span all races and appeal to all women and even some gay guys ("My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard..." ;) ) .

I think women have to be targeted, to sell a woman a car it has to appeal to their lifestyle, & usually it takes a large advertising campaign to tell a woman what her lifestyle is (not meaning to be offensive). Whereas men on the other hand will crunch the numbers & features and could care less if a car fits into their lifestyle, they just want what they want. Men could care less what Brad Pitt is driving (or wearing), but women do care what their celebrity peers are wearing and possibly driving. For cars to be sold to women they have to take on a fashionable/retail/accessory tone. This is why companies don't need to market cars to men & why they are reducing their budgets for marketing to men.

I can tell from your post you're either single, or sleep on the couch a lot...

If any of this was true, then the Corvette and the large SUV's would, by and large, have no market. I think that you have vain people of both sexes. Not to say I haven't met a self centered, superficial bitch in my time, but I never married one or dated one for very long for that matter.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't seen it on TV yet, but it's on Youtube:

Kelis / Edge Commercial

and some more advertising on her website:

UltimateKelis.com

Briefly editted to respond to comments I missed:

During college I worked for a high end retailer (selling shoes, purses, and sportswear to women) and that is what I based my conclusions from, the fashion industry and first hand experience. I think the lifestyle being targeted is the "soccer mom" for SUVs. The advertising is different, for women it would be geared toward seating and storage, and for men it would be tow/hp/torque.

Edited by JM