Edmunds pick 07 Expy over 07 Tahoe

igor

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...photopanel..1.*

The decision is in

While the 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe LT is a nice piece, with a much appreciated dashboard makeover and stout towing performance, the lack of a stowable, adult-friendly third-row seat and a higher price caused it to trail behind its arch-nemesis when the results were tallied. And even though this is an all-new truck, important subsurface chunks of it feel outdated.

Yes, the unanimous judges' decision went to Ford's 2007 Expedition Limited, with its well-sorted steering and handling, controlled ride, very good towing performance and an adult-sized third-row seat that, importantly, folds flat into the floor. And with a sticker price low enough to let one indulge in a few more options or a down payment on a trailer and ATVs, it's hard to go wrong.

Igor

Edited by igor

"Just a shame same still use those lame IRS sucks off road"

WHAT? Proper english sentence structure please. Further more, while most off-roaders like solid axles front and back, IRS has its advantages too! The Humvee is IRS, each system has its adv and dis-adv. Plus how many soccer moms off-road in their expy?

Interesting comparison. I kinda wonder what happened to the Durango though.

While the Chevy is much improved and will doubtlessly continue to be the sales leader, I believe that the Ford is the better SUV. Why? Well, if you're buying a fullsize SUV you've got to have needs - you need to tow medium-to-heavy loads and carry 5-7 passengers. If you only need to tow a pickup or even an Explorer/Trailblazer would work. If you only need to carry passengers, a minivan or 3-row crossover is much more livable on an everyday basis. So, when looking at the two NEEDS of the fullsize SUV buyer, the Expedition can tow more and can actually fit people into the rear seat.

I'm not wild about the new Expedition's styling and the wannabe tough interior seems rather contrived to me...but if I had to have a big SUV, I'd buy an Expedition. For Ford's sake though, I hope the BOSS and Diesel are coming soon - the Chevy will have a 6-speed soon!

Scott

The all new Tahoe is not as good a vehicle as the refreshed Expedition and that has to be a big pill for the Chevy people to swallow. The interior looks like a car interior and is not as functional, joke of a third row seat, the exterior has that melted look that looks plain. The only advantage it has is the 6.0 and the Boss engine is just around the corner.

And what kind of trailer tow test was that? Why not pull the same trailer for both vehicles and then compare the performance? Seems like they tried to bag this for the Chevy but failed.

I also noticed that as well as the same test for the F350, Silverado, Dodge. Even though the 6.0 isnt as good as the old 7.3.

YOU ARE NUTS!!! Where was that at?

That was out at Hungry Valley. Turns out it wasn't as bad as it looks, but I didn't know that then. The left front wheel is down in a hole, and the right rear is about two feet off the ground. :runaway:

Interesting comparison. I kinda wonder what happened to the Durango though.

While the Chevy is much improved and will doubtlessly continue to be the sales leader, I believe that the Ford is the better SUV. Why? Well, if you're buying a fullsize SUV you've got to have needs - you need to tow medium-to-heavy loads and carry 5-7 passengers. If you only need to tow a pickup or even an Explorer/Trailblazer would work. If you only need to carry passengers, a minivan or 3-row crossover is much more livable on an everyday basis. So, when looking at the two NEEDS of the fullsize SUV buyer, the Expedition can tow more and can actually fit people into the rear seat.

I'm not wild about the new Expedition's styling and the wannabe tough interior seems rather contrived to me...but if I had to have a big SUV, I'd buy an Expedition. For Ford's sake though, I hope the BOSS and Diesel are coming soon - the Chevy will have a 6-speed soon!

Scott

Boss and Diesel are on the way.

Hehehe................... everyone should read the 95+ post thread on GMI about it. What a riot.

I will sum it up in one word. Wahhhhhhhhh!!!!

Haha, tell me about it.... I can't help at laugh at all the piss poor excuses they come up with all the time, it's quite fun to watch them go on like kids

I just took a break to check that site out, it's hilarious. All the reasoning going in thru their minds, why they didn't win. Loved their IRS explanations though...all the spin they tried to veer off the topic with to justify their reasoning.

The "Crappy" 5.4L was mentioned, which ironically has received hmm Ward's 10 Best Engine award over 5 times.....geesh LOL

Speaking of, has anything occured from the GM Pistonslap Class Action lawsuit?

Well without the trailer the expy is faster then the tahoe is.... In just about every acceleration test.

And hell, if they had weighted the trailer the same for both vehicles (??? who the hell uses different weight trailers in a comparison test ???) the Expy probably would have won those categories as well. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by this, I really thought the new Expy was just going to be a waste of time considering a full redesign is needed, but it looks like Ford did more homework than I thought. Still, the 5.4L should be over 300hp at this point, more like 350hp, and the sheetmetal needs more than just a nip and tuck on the grill and taillights. But, for what it is it seems to be quite the fullsize SUV.

Realistically, they should be able to do a tweak on the 5.4L and make 320 HP and 370 lbs of torque. While proportionately, that's not that much, it would put it in the thick of the competition on paper. We know that the Boss is at least two model years out, so, there should be something that can be done to the 5.4 in the interum. The 4.6L 3V is just fine where it sits. It beats other COMPARABLE engines on HP and is squarely in the TQ territory.

But, we're dealing with a cash strapped Ford Company, and the sad truth is that they probably won't invest the money in a power improvement for the 5.4L.

Realistically, they should be able to do a tweak on the 5.4L and make 320 HP and 370 lbs of torque. While proportionately, that's not that much, it would put it in the thick of the competition on paper. We know that the Boss is at least two model years out, so, there should be something that can be done to the 5.4 in the interum. The 4.6L 3V is just fine where it sits. It beats other COMPARABLE engines on HP and is squarely in the TQ territory.

But, we're dealing with a cash strapped Ford Company, and the sad truth is that they probably won't invest the money in a power improvement for the 5.4L.

The Tahoe will sell more because the women who drive these SUV's think the Tahoe is "prettier".

• 3 weeks later...
The Tahoe will sell more because the women who drive these SUV's think the Tahoe is "prettier".

YUCK I do not think they are prettier. But I guess I am not the normal women... Now the Cadillac thats another story. I think the Limited Expedition is a very good looking SUV.

YUCK I do not think they are prettier. But I guess I am not the normal women... Now the Cadillac thats another story. I think the Limited Expedition is a very good looking SUV.

Hello Tiffiny:

Hope you and your family have a wonderful New Year.

I agree that the expy is a better looking suv. Of course it's hard for me to be objective with as much as I like the expy. But I do think that Ford did a great job in trying to please several types of customers with the styling of the expy. The XLT is for those who don't care to have several options, don't like leather, etc. The EB, which I picked, is for those who, like me, like the contrast in the inside color contrasts and like the chrome grill. The limited, to me, is for those who don't care for much chrome and to me the inside is more like a luxury automobile style. If Ford would come up with some good advertising about the 07 expy that would encourage people to test drive it, I think it could be the best suv seller in it's class.

Mike

Hello Tiffiny:

Hope you and your family have a wonderful New Year.

I agree that the expy is a better looking suv. Of course it's hard for me to be objective with as much as I like the expy. But I do think that Ford did a great job in trying to please several types of customers with the styling of the expy. The XLT is for those who don't care to have several options, don't like leather, etc. The EB, which I picked, is for those who, like me, like the contrast in the inside color contrasts and like the chrome grill. The limited, to me, is for those who don't care for much chrome and to me the inside is more like a luxury automobile style. If Ford would come up with some good advertising about the 07 expy that would encourage people to test drive it, I think it could be the best suv seller in it's class.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thank you, I hope you and your family has a wonderful New Year as well.

I agree with you as far as the styling of each model. I usually always get the XLT but finally decided to go with Limited and I am very pleased. Very luxurious inside. I do feel that fords advertising sucks, they need to push these more. I am finally starting to see them on the roads now which is nice. A Black limited EL and a Red Eddie Bauer EL are in my neighborhood.

Im excited next week my husband is taking my EL in to get it fully tinted and the exhaust done on it. I cant wait to hear how powerful its going to sound.