Repost - 2008 Malibu

pcsario

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog...alibu_hr_11.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog...libu_hr_002.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog...alibu_hr_08.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog...alibu_hr_03.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog...alibu_hr_04.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog...alibu_hr_01.jpg

I think we left off with some people laughing their way into denial, and others celebrating GM's steps in the right direction.

Fusion becomes the true replacement for the old Malibu in the marketplace. Beaten even by old cars released years before.

First interior pic is the regular model with cloth seats. Available with optional 250+ HP V6 / wheel-mounted shift paddles.

Edited by pcsario

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog...alibu_hr_11.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog...libu_hr_002.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog...alibu_hr_08.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog...alibu_hr_03.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog...alibu_hr_04.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog...alibu_hr_01.jpg

I think we left off with some people laughing their way into denial, and others celebrating GM's steps in the right direction.

Fusion becomes the true replacement for the old Malibu in the marketplace. Beaten even by old cars released years before.

First interior pic is the regular model with cloth seats. Available with optional 250+ HP V6 / wheel-mounted shift paddles.

GM screwed up the exterior styling, I mean could they make the rear look any more like a cheap chinese knock off then it already does?

They nail the aura exterior styling, but flop on the dismal interior. Now the Malibu has what could very well be a class leading interior but totally screw up on the exterior.

The new malibu looks 10x better than the outgoing model, from the exterior to the interior, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it will kill the Fusion.

I can't comment on the regular Malibu, but all last week I was in a Malibu Max and was pleasantly surprised (I think it was new, it had 1100 miles). The entire backrow folded semi-flat, with enough storage for a couple of suitcases and snowboards. The heated seats, XM satellite, and sun roofs were nice features, but I was a little disappointed that it didn't have a jack for my iPod. Overall it handled itself well in "round 2" of the Colorado blizzard. The new styling will defintely remove the embarassment of driving this vehicle...but I still would rather drive a Magnum.

Edited by JM

The new malibu looks 10x better than the outgoing model, from the exterior to the interior, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it will kill the Fusion.

No I meant it already did that by itself:

06 -> Beaten right out of the gate by an old car released years before.

07 -> Beaten by a car from a company that actually knows what a "turnaround effort" means.

08 -> Beaten by a MALIBU.

This is just icing on the cake, hence the topic subtitle.

That's just the result of targeting Kya and Hyundai as your main competitors.

Fusion will effectively become the new Malibu of the segment once this is released.

Edited by pcsario

The rear reminds me of that of a Passat. I do like the front except for the hoodline cut-out, which seems as an after-thought using a can-opener. The interior is a huge improvement from these preliminary pictures but I believe it'll become quickly dated. Even the new GM trucks, interiors seem as if it's lifted from 3 year old Buicks. Another positive is the 3.6L DOHC V6, they finally let go of the noisy/unrefined OHV motor. Now I DO see them as being serious in going against imports which should have been done years ago on it's intended mission.

Would I buy this over the Fusion? Never. The fleet-queen label is too strong to overcome, and I haven't seen any information from GM trying to shed fleet sales. I also prefer the exterior design of the Fusion which is much more cohesive around the vehicle, as if it's all crafted by the same group of stylists, unlike the Malibu's. Ironically I do love the new Aura styling too, which is cohesive all around as well. And while the Malibu's dashboard has more flair, it's still a tad too busy. The Fusion has copied the imporants with a much more simplistic approach.

The rear reminds me of that of a Passat. I do like the front except for the hoodline cut-out, which seems as an after-thought using a can-opener.

I am really hating the trend towards toilet seat hoods. First the Miata.. then the Camaro concept... now the Malibu and Interceptor.

Yes its an improvement over what GM has been putting out, but after seeing Aura's base interior in person, it reminded me of typical GM cheap plastic they've used for years. Photography can make a world of difference, but I don't see this totally Blowing the Fusion out of the water, not to mention the Fusion is being updated for the 09 MY, not like its left to rot on the vine like other Ford cars in the past.

LOL... the more things change...

06fusion-i4_7-1.jpg

fordFusion_ppp.jpg

Couldn't even beat an old car released years before, has one of the weakest engines in the segment, barely sells 10k a month, has all kinds of notable cost-cutting (including safety work), a mediocrely designed cabin, etc etc etc.

Who would've thought the replacement for the current Malibu would have a blue on it?

Well, now it does. Better statement would be what relevant car ISN'T better. That's the real point.

At the end of the day Ford is just reaping what they sow.

Edited by pcsario

malibu will be a fleet queen, watch, always happens.. nice looking, but once you start driving it and seeing it, yuck..

fusion cost cutting on safety? 07 model has curtian airbags and awd...?

3.0 is older yes, 3.5 would be nicer.. but the 0-60 in my fusion is just fine.. have no issues merging or passing, in the books its dead even or at most .5 slower in 0-60.. .5 in 0-60 is nothing... and damn, it gets good highway mileage... 28.8 for a 100mile run on hilly freeway... using 87 octane.. and so on...

PCSARIO

Camry, Sonata, Optima, Altima, Aura, and G6 were all deemed WORSE cars than the Fusion - only the Accord was deemed as better - per Edmunds.

Optima might be questionable, but since Sonata did not beat the Fusion, I doubt the Optima would - but it could.

Igor

?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=109710

Fusion ranked dead last, beaten even by a Hyundai.

That's a recent, up-to-date comparison with current models.

The one you talk about is extremely old, they were even using the old Altima.

Sorry .. got my sources mixed up.. yes Edmunds did not like the Fusion

I was thinking of the Car and Driver comparos.

They had an older review where they compared 06 Sonata, 06 Accord, 06 Camry and 06 Fusion, and then the recent one with the07 Accord, 07 Altima, 07 Optima, 07 Aura, 07 Camry, and 07 Sebring ..

The first one ended:

1 Accord

2 Fusion

3 Sonata

4 Camry (old)

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/10...oor-sedans.html

the second one ended:

1 Accord

2 Altima

3 Optima

4 Aura

5 Camry

6 Sebring

(this article is not online yet .. so hre are sume discussion threads:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=9348a

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42389

Given the fact that now I clarified my facts, the Altima is the one questionable - but since Optima and Sonata are siblings, I would not expect one to place significantly higher than the other ... making the final order:

1 Accord

2 Fusion and Altima

3 Sonata and Optima

4 Aura

5 Camry

6 Sebring

PS:

I posted before, that I think the Malibu will be a formidable competitor .. it looks decent outside, and very well inside .. and has better engine (th 3.6l V6) ... all in all, I think this will be a formidable competition to beat ... I am just countering your endless negativism about Ford products. But in the end we are arguing over opinions .. .I like the Fusion OK .. but I think the GM offerings are superior, but I do believe the Fusion is superior to Camry and Sebring definitely, and to Optima and Sonata very likely...

Igor

Edited by igor

I'm not negative about all of Ford. It's just that there's no excuse for what happened with Bill Ford's products (Chicago/Hermosillo triplets, Cheap rehashes, Mediocrity all over the place, etc). I'm feeling pretty good about the upcoming vehicles done entirely under the watch of my boys Mullaly, Kuzack and Fields; aka the official BON grouches...LOL

Anyway you're one of my most respected posters here, no need to explain yourself, I understand what you're trying to do and I'm kinda also playing the devils advocate here. I know you're pretty objective and not a member of the Ford cheerleaders brigade. :)

I'm not negative about all of Ford. It's just that there's no excuse for what happened with Bill Ford's products (Chicago/Hermosillo triplets, Cheap rehashes, Mediocrity all over the place, etc). I'm feeling pretty good about the upcoming vehicles done entirely under the watch of my boys Mullaly, Kuzack and Fields; aka the official BON grouches...LOL

Anyway you're one of my most respected posters here, no need to explain yourself, I understand what you're trying to do and I'm kinda also playing the devils advocate here. I know you're pretty objective and not a member of the Ford cheerleaders brigade. :)

i wish they would have done some tests running, 30-60, 40-60 etc... see how they accel... the weak 3.0 seems from a dead stop to hold its own just fine... 3.5 would probably be at least .5 faster all around... would be nice to see info like that on a mkz fwd.

i will say, looking at other cars my fusions enterior isnt as LAVISH... gauges could use a change, raido center stack is old school which could change.. but hey, its functional, sturdy no rattles etc... cheap plastic? really cant find any on my car, what do you all consider cheap inter plastic on fusion? the radio, the center counsel around shifter are plastic, the small parts surrounding the powerwindows etc are, and a small plastic thingy by the gaugues, but everything else is soft to the touch, kinda you can push them in a bit...

Edited by MGallun

If I am not mistaken, the Fusion will get extensive mid-cycle redesign for 2009 Model year (so basically in about a year) ... If I am not mistaken, the interior is to be all new, and the exterior refined.

But I agree with one thing with PCSARIO - why the helll cannot Ford move more than 10k of these is beyond me - it is not supply issue anymore - they had plety sitting on dealer lots at the end of November.

Igor

^Exactly.

BTW the cheap plastics guy was silvrsvt, not me, I don't have anything against hard plastics. Take for instance the Mazda3 (hell, most Mazdas in general), it has the best interior in its class IMO, and it's full of hard plastics. But lets use a better example, like the six year old Ford Mondeo (same overall dimensions). The Fusion actually has the same type of soft/hard plastic combinations, and in the same areas. Unfortunately, it's a waste of money as the design itself is what ruins the entire cabin. Mediocrity dressed in soft plastics still gives you mediocre results.

Side to side, on the flesh, Fusion honestly looks like shit in comparison.

1021big.jpg

Take the Navi out and replace it with this:

http://www.carpages.co.uk/ford/ford_images...or_11_06_03.jpg

Then there's the fact Ford charges extra for stuff the competition gives you for free. They have a better idea of what "upgraded interiors" should be, and it's not uglifying the base models on purpose and making you pay hundreds of dollars for a clock.

Edited by pcsario

blah blah blah... since you guys are such experts on whats good and bad, maybe you should go apply at ford.. eh?

anyways, my i like for the most part the inside of my fusion, it doesnt have this space ship out of this word look which to me is good, its funtional and works but has a nice and solid feel to it...

second.. mediocre? ya ok, i think i know why pioneer doesnt like fusion, it replace the POS taurus... anyways, the fusions inital quality reports say its probably one of if not the best car ford has made in quality respects... it has 0 recalls, pretty good for a car that has went thru a year and half of sales... sure they are barely getting 10k... but ya, it has been around for only 2 years.. NOWADAYS it takes time for nameplates to earn a name and repition and to earn sales, if i recall 40per or so of fusion sales are conquest sales... thats big! i hear of no issues of the car from other owners i chat with, so this mediore car, its pretty damn good, give it time to earn its spot.. iam sure when camry and accord first appeared they didnt just sell 200k a year.. it took years.. remember they used to trail the taurus for years.. finally caught on and wham here they are atop of the boards...

i find you people really funny, and really its people like you along with the idiots who were running ford are what got them in this mess...

new mailbu, whippy.. nail in coffin of the fusion and its only been out 2 years? how about this, lets look at this years sales between the fusion and mailbu... malibu has more total sales, but take away fleet sales.. betcha the fusion outsells it there... that has to mean something.. put the g6, impala in there too..

I think you're reading too much into this. No one is saying the Fusion is a bad purchase.

This is purely a thread centering on the non-personal aspects of the industry, those that involve decisions and other aspects done by management and the production guys, choices which ultimately affected both Ford and its customers. Keep in mind everyone can write a post like yours for their car. Won't change the outcome in the marketplace or in comparison tests. To tell you the truth I couldn't care less about the Malibu, however, I must give credit where credit is due; that's not to say I think the car is flawless, it's just that more effort went into it, the kind of effort and dedication the Fusion needed, and it shows.

You think all the criticisms towards the new Sebring are deserved or not? New Escape?

There will be thousands of owners with those vehicles as well.

Same principles apply here, some people just don't like handing out free passes 24/7, and that's fine.

Edited by pcsario

But lets use a better example, like the six year old Ford Mondeo (same overall dimensions). The Fusion actually has the same type of soft/hard plastic combinations, and in the same areas. Unfortunately, it's a waste of money as the design itself is what ruins the entire cabin. Mediocrity dressed in soft plastics still gives you mediocre results..

I was in England this past fall and rode in several Mondeos while I was there, and there wasn't a huge difference design wise IMO between them and the Fusion. The only weak spot I've seen on the Fusion is the Door Panels, which look kind of cheap to me.

But state that this conversation isn't about personal options?

I agree that the Malibu is much improved over what the outgoing model is, but to use superlatives like its nail in the coffin of the Fusion, is a bit extreme.

The "Nail in the Coffin" bit is pretty dumb, as sales are back over 13K and anyone writing off the Fusion were either delusional or maybe just a little bit wishful/jaded..?!

The Malibu's profile ranks with the bland-as-hell Sebring's and its dash bears a hilarious resemblance to the mid-90's Mustang's. Given that the front end reminds me of nothing so much as a '70's Laguna, I don't see "nail in the coffin" quality described. In fact, I think this Malibu will continue the model's proud tradition of being the most common sight on Enterprise/Avis lots.