Wixom or STAP

bodyman

My thoughts are that STAP or Wixom, are in the running of staying open. Either plant could exchange models with CV/GM and Town Car. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject? Also is Wixom being taken offline for the Jan 23rd announcement??? I am guessing its either us at STAP or Wixom unfortunately.

My thoughts are that STAP or Wixom, are in the running of staying open. Either plant could exchange models with CV/GM and Town Car. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject? Also is Wixom being taken offline for the Jan 23rd announcement??? I am guessing its either us at STAP or Wixom unfortunately.

I would say STAP would be the likely candidate. Town Car would be moved and out of the CAFE loop as an import. Plus the infamous health care cost reduction could play into the fold as well.

Then the question would be, could STAP be run at capacity with these models? I doubt it, not enough orders.

There has also been talk of CV/GM going to TCAP since they are body on frame and that plant has built LTD's and F-Series at the same time. Who knows... it's another wait and see on the 23rd thing. :rolleyes:

Of course it would take some work to get the TC running in our bodyshop, but the question is will it come to STAP, who knows.

I hear we're getting the EXP and the LN7....They're going to be great sellers and replace the Mustang

:lol: :blink: :P

youngSTAP

P.S. Yes, that's a joke.

Besides the CAFE thing with the TC There is the fore mentioned Healthcare savings. And with the weaker Canadian Dollar there are wage considerations. Not sure if that really matters now with the stronger CAD.

But would seem funny to annouce a $100 Million investement in STAP only to then shutter the plant.

Plus the Canadian Govt is usally more willing to cough up cash to manufactures keep plants open In Canada. Mind you with an election looming and a possible Govt change that is an unkown.

Could the 100 Millon investment in STAP be to get the body shop to handle the TC?

Either way it is a crap shoot.

We were given 300 million at STAP, but from what I have heard Ford could easily spend that on a new bumper design.lololo. It makes sense to bring the TC to STAp, but then again Ford never does anything to make sense. Isn't Wixom down to 1 shift, with only 1100 workers. Seems to me the Way Forward program would see Wixom disappear, no.

Besides the CAFE thing with the TC There is the fore mentioned Healthcare savings. And with the weaker Canadian Dollar there are wage considerations. Not sure if that really matters now with the stronger CAD.

But would seem funny to annouce a $100 Million investement in STAP only to then shutter the plant.

Plus the Canadian Govt is usally more willing to cough up cash to manufactures keep plants open In Canada. Mind you with an election looming and a possible Govt change that is an unkown.

Could the 100 Millon investment in STAP be to get the body shop to handle the TC?

Either way it is a crap shoot.

They said during our '05 contract that the money was to "Freshen the Mercury Marquis"

But beyond that like you said "It's a crap shoot" I'm sure the union would be VERY open to the TC to come to our plant using that money instead of simply "a freshening"

youngSTAP

I still haven't got my answer to the question of whether or not Wixom was offline for the announcement, can anyone tell me if they are

Wixom was down last week and will be down next week also, Production will resume on the 23rd. I Haven't heard anything as of yet. Maybe they'll announce something this week. I hope we don't have a "announcement" break, the last one we had Announced the cut of one shift.

As far as the TC CV GM stuff, we've heard rumors for years that the Town Car was moving up there or that we were getting the CV GM. At this point we'd be happy to get anything that would keep us open, But at the same time unless these cars get some redevelopment/redesign even with all 3 cars running down the same line It'll only be a matter of time before the down weeks start. The panther platform has been virtually abandoned and I can't imagine anyone but taxi services, limo services and police departments buying these cars. Good luck to you guys, I think everybody will be crossing there fingers on the 23rd.

Strong rumor is that Wixom will shut down for the meeting. It allways has for these types of events.

AS for Wixom one of Two things is going to happen They are going to run all out till shut down build a supply of say 500 days and be shut down for retooling or closing

Forget the CV GM coming to wixom, the towncar underbody "heart n soul" can barly make enough parts for the towncar, and would probably go into spasms if it tried to run CV GM in an integrated process. the poor bastard wanted to die 1000 times over already. the only reason it still runs is it's afraid of the evil greek. lol

here's one of our electricians, oops! welder repairman standing by for the next breakdown now! even though we don't start up until the 23rd. OMG

post-13858-1137422771_thumb.jpg

post-13858-1137422806_thumb.jpg

post-13858-1137422856_thumb.jpg

Wouldn't it make more sense for the TC, to go to STAP and then Wixom could be re-tooled for flex and build any new upcoming Lincoln/Ford models? "wishful thinking"

I'd guess its btwn. Wixom and Atlanta, as to who's getting any new product?

I'm sure the UAW would like to keep a presence down south, so if they had any say, they'd probably cut Wixom loose?

IMHO, We here in Michigan have been hit hard enough. We've got one of the highest unemployment rates and lost many of the manufacturing jobs as well? To close Wixom would be a big slap in the face!

Just my two cents worth, anyway?

Edited by Shortimer

Wrong. LINK

I stand corrected about the TC and CAFE as per how it's written today. If you noticed, there is an awful lot of loopholes in that language. I remember when the CV/GM moved to Canada and the environmentalists were up in arms over one of those loopholes in the CAFE language. Thanks for the link, it's an interesting topic...

Wouldn't it make more sense for the TC, to go to STAP and then Wixom could be re-tooled for flex and build any new upcoming Lincoln/Ford models? "wishful thinking"

I'd guess its btwn. Wixom and Atlanta, as to who's getting any new product?

I'm sure the UAW would like to keep a presence down south, so if they had any say, they'd probably cut Wixom loose?

IMHO, We here in Michigan have been hit hard enough. We've got one of the highest unemployment rates and lost many of the manufacturing jobs as well? To close Wixom would be a big slap in the face!

Just my two cents worth, anyway?

Shortimer, you could'nt be more wrong on the Internatioal union wanting to keep a presence down south.Georgia is a right to work state they would love to see ford shutdown AAP and keep wixom open!Also for you idiots that think Ford should do something just to help the state of Mich. instead of doing what is best for the company get a life or at least move to a real state.

Just some rumors at my plant: Bill will announce that STAP, TCAP, Windsor casting and an engine plant in Canada, Along with Caucautitlan Mex. will be closed. Atlanta or Wixom will also close. Out of all these plants the only one we see having a chance for a new model is the plant in Mexico. Mainly because of cheap labor. This is just for starters, we see more closings to come.

Just some rumors at my plant: Bill will announce that STAP, TCAP, Windsor casting and an engine plant in Canada, Along with Caucautitlan Mex. will be closed. Atlanta or Wixom will also close. Out of all these plants the only one we see having a chance for a new model is the plant in Mexico. Mainly because of cheap labor. This is just for starters, we see more closings to come.

Your rumor started in the wall street journal. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ha.

Yeah and I heard a rumor that Ford is pulling of of America and moving all of it's operations to China.

It's true, I heard it.....a second ago when it came out of my own mouth :) :)

youngSTAP.

rumormongers........

"just some rumors" I'm so sick of rumors as is everyone else. No one knows what's going to happen on the 23rd so enough with the rumors shit. All it does is make everyone scared to see their plant mention in the rumor mill as closing. If you don't know anything don't say anything. Its as simple as that. What do people get out of spreading rumors, the joy of seeing other people worry about their future with ford. Is that it.

Everyone will know on Monday so enough with this speculation shit and just wait until then.

SHUT UP ALREADY.

Ford won't close 3 Cdn plants. They need to maintain minimum employment levels to get government money. If they close all but Oakville, they would have to pay back a few hundred million to the govt.

And the Mexico thing? There are 2 plants I am aware of, one makes the Fusion triplets for North America and another making F150s/Lobos for Central/South America. I cant see either being closed.

Twin Cities I can see as I think Ford may move to that global Ranger made in Thailand.

Edited by J-150