Ford Patents

Man, that is some funky font for the "Fig" notations on the 6 door patent.

Fail to see an obvious benefit for the 6th door, slightly better 3rd row access, maybe. The vehicle it's applied to is the Expy. Don't know what to make of it.

Interesting that Fisker is the designer of record on the Fairlane's application.

Man, that is some funky font for the "Fig" notations on the 6 door patent.

Fail to see an obvious benefit for the 6th door, slightly better 3rd row access, maybe. The vehicle it's applied to is the Expy. Don't know what to make of it.

Interesting that Fisker is the designer of record on the Fairlane's application.

It shows an Expy, but it is probably not for an Expy. Maybe this 6 door thing will appear on the Fairlane in lieu of a traditional sliding door. Hmm...

Or maybe Ford is coming up with a 6 door pickup cab to answer Dodge and Toyota's huge crew cabs. I always thought a 6 door SuperCrewCab would be pretty cool.

Any hints from the SOTF people? Maybe a wink wink "no comment"?

Here's my personal wishful thinking, since it shows the driver side on the patent, maybe the E-Series will get driver's side rear doors.

Ford patents:

Employee extortion

Supplier extortion

SLTS(Service Labor Time Standards)-30% cut in warranty times across the board in 1999

Blue Oval program-Dealers pay them a shitload of money to sell their cars

piss-poor engineering

finger pointing

blame shifting

Shall I go on?

I don't understand how you can patent this. This is just a vehicle with a normal front door and a rear entry with doors opening like several pickups "4-doors" do now similar to the mid-60's Lincoln Continental suicide doors! This is a joke!

The original Econoline Falcon had a 6 door design as an option, but I guess Ford never actually had a patent on it. I'm thinking that Ford may offer this 6 door design on Ford's new people mover instead of traditional sliding doors or a large side doors. This design is pretty intriguing to me. It would allow Ford's new Fairlane based people mover to be a lot like a wagon, but also have unparalleled access to the third row with the 180 degree opening rear doors.

The patent also states something about a "6 door pickup". Imagine a pickup with the capability to carry up to 9 people and have a bed. The landscaping companies would love it and so would I, a pickup with third row seating, how cool.

The six door concept was considered for the Excursion but never implemented.

These days, you patent first and ask questions later. That prevents the follow on users from stealing your idea and patenting it as their own. Ford has been the recipient of this kind of action in the past and has hopefully learned lessons the hard way.

The patent also states something about a "6 door pickup". Imagine a pickup with the capability to carry up to 9 people and have a bed. The landscaping companies would love it and so would I, a pickup with third row seating, how cool.

What the need to do is come out with a pickup with a 10 foot bed, so you can lock your tools up in the bed with a toolbox and still be able to fit plywood/sheetrock in the back.