ABC NEWS Online Poll: Would you buy a Ford?

You'd be hard pressed to find positive results when everybody is jumping on the bash-Ford bandwagon. I think there is a genuine disgust with Ford because it has been over taken by a foreign company. Ford's collapse is an embarrassment to many Americans and there is a high amount of resentment directed at Ford because they allowed this to happen.

Edited by BORG

You'd be hard pressed to find positive results when everybody is jumping on the bash-Ford bandwagon. I think there is a genuine disgust with Ford because it has been over taken by a foreign company. Ford's collapse is an embarrassment to many Americans and there is a high amount of resentment directed at Ford because they allowed this to happen.

1. Nobody is "jumping on the bash-Ford bandwagon". The simple fact is that people make decisions to purchase vehicles one vehicle at a time. Ford just doesn't have the product that has enabled them to succeed in past decades.

2. The disgust with Ford should be a disgust borne of incompetent senior management. And worse is that Ford has had outstanding managers that could have gotten the job done if the decision making process was a bit more defined. I'll give you one example - some 5 or so years ago Wolfgang Reitzle was hired from BMW after revitalizing the BMW brands. Wolfgang put together a plan for what it would take for the PAG brands (which included Lincoln at the time) to be well placed in the marketplace. This plan however was expensive - but considering how far Ford had let certain of the brands slip (notably Lincoln), significant spending would be required just to bring them in line with competition. Well the entire plan was deep sixed as being too expensive and the brands languished even further. Wolfgang noted that it would be impossible to do the job he was hired to do and left the company. And the results are showing right now.

3. Resentment should be shown to Ford given the following:

a. Ford up until two years ago was touting that its financial results will show profits of $7 Billion by 2006. But I can tell you as a former insider that this target was considered bulls***. Ford lied to the investing public to the point where they were off only $20 Billion.

b. Billy made a bald faced lie when he noted to the greenies that Ford would have 250,000 hybrids by now. The fact is that the cycle plan NEVER had the resources allocated for ANY internal hybrid development. The hybrid technology that is used in the Escape is purchased from Aisin (which is owned by Toyota) and is 1st generation hybrid technology that Toyota no longer wants. Further, Ford was given warnings that Aisin will be pulling OUT of Ford business and would therefore lose the meager supply of hybrids that it did have. Certainly there would be no increase in volume anywhere near the 250K level - and Ford management let Billy announce his 250K number anyway.

4. Think about some of the other stupid decisions made of the last 4-8 years that led to where Ford is today:

a. Whole departments of engineers eliminated causing Ford to lose institutional memory. There are certain capabilities that Ford no longer has. Manual transmissions are no longer designed in North America. The lack of competent manual ability has led to significant problems with certain suppliers and has eliminated any chance that manuals would go in certain vehicles that would have improved market share.

b. Before Ford 2000, which was just 10 years ago, Ford had the undisputed best quality domestically. It went immediately to the worst and has struggled to improve (which it did do) but created a lot of customer problems along the way.

c. Outside purchases - while purchasing good brands like Volvo may have looked promising, it is part of the reason that Ford is in such dire straits today. Management didn't know how to best integrate Volvo (and LR and Mazda) with the rest of Ford and created planning turmoil - especially when Ford 2000 was enacted which basically eliminated "planning" as a career path. Most of the experienced old-time planners slowly left the company for positions with competent companies.

d. The Union/management collaboration of the 80s into the 90s disappeared completely under Nasser. The trust that is so vital between these two groups was lost.

e. The outside people brought into Ford (not including Mullaly) during the Nasser days completely eviscerated management teams and morale of internal career Ford people. One guy they brought in to run Lincoln-Mercury only had experience with light bulbs (from GE). He was basically a high paid trainee for two years until he left the company. Nasser's policies were explicitly anti-white, anti-male (although surprisingly not really favorable to blacks). Women who might have made great leaders in 10 years were promoted WAY beyond their current capability just so the male/female numbers would look good. And more competent management left.

f. After the Nasser fiasco, the dealers have never trusted Ford management.

g. The relationship with suppliers was the worst in the industry. I met a supplier that told me point blank that they would NOT give Ford their best ideas because they had no faith that Ford wouldn't turn to a competitor after the development phase just to get a lower cost from competitor that didn't do the upfront engineering on that new technology. This has actually cost Ford in numerous ways.

h. A culture of fear that prevented any legitimate risk taking.

i. Putting people in top spots way before they are capable - guys like Phil Martens might have been excellent VPs if they got those jobs with more seasoning (and that goes for Fields too). But they were completely unprepared for the job especially considering the support structure that was destroyed by the Ford 2000/Nasser debacles.

Listen, I could go on all day about Ford. Mullaly might actually be doing what Ford needs to survive. the key battle will be Mullaly versus the Ford bureaucracy. If Mullaly wins, then Ford wins, if the entrenched bureaucracy wins, then Ford will lose - and go out of business.

If there is a silver lining to all this its that Ford Motor is now in a position that there is no other alternative but to get it right (or close the doors). Some of the greatest turn around stories begin with similar circumstances. Keep laying on the crap- Keep telling stories of doom and gloom on the news (lou dobbs was on one of the morning shows today saying he couldnt see it turn around). Keep on with the negatives- Then you end up as the underdog with a sense nothing to lose- People love the underdog.

Totally unrelated to the topic but If Ford was smart they would use the negative press to their favor. Ad campaign of "People said we couldn't do it but look what we have done" The problem is you have to have the products people want with a warranty second to none.

You know, if I was to respond to that poll, I would have to answer no. Because that Ford, with the product that they have in the showroom today, has nothing that I want to buy. I have started looking to replace my primary car, and they have nothing that I want or need. The last Ford dealer I went to (2 weeks ago) kept trying to tell me that I really wanted an Explorer. Which was news to me, since I stated I was looking for a roomy midsize car with excellent handling and about 30 mpg on the road in mixed driving. (I want something at least as good as what I now drive).

1. Nobody is "jumping on the bash-Ford bandwagon". The simple fact is that people make decisions to purchase e. The outside people brought into Ford (not including Mullaly) during the Nasser days completely eviscerated management teams and morale of internal career Ford people. One guy they brought in to run Lincoln-Mercury only had experience with light bulbs (from GE). He was basically a high paid trainee for two years until he left the company. Nasser's policies were explicitly anti-white, anti-male (although surprisingly not really favorable to blacks). Women who might have made great leaders in 10 years were promoted WAY beyond their current capability just so the male/female numbers would look good. And more competent management left.

You are a racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, misogynist for saying this. So what if it's the truth? The truth is no defense. You have been reported. Understand? REPORTED!

Currently on ABC web site.

No. I think Ford's latest cars are boring and outdated. There are too many more innovative cars out

Yes. Ford has always made reliable, quality cars, and more people should give Ford a chance.

Total Vote: 4,143

And here I was thinking Ford was America's favorite brand...lol

So, if someone asked you that same question about Toyota.................. you would have to say no also................... correct??? (they have no good handling midsize car).

Correct. (Give that man a cigar - just don't let him smoke it.)

Someone else said:

1. Nobody is "jumping on the bash-Ford bandwagon". The simple fact is that people make decisions to purchase e. The outside people brought into Ford (not including Mullaly) during the Nasser days completely eviscerated management teams and morale of internal career Ford people. One guy they brought in to run Lincoln-Mercury only had experience with light bulbs (from GE). He was basically a high paid trainee for two years until he left the company. Nasser's policies were explicitly anti-white, anti-male (although surprisingly not really favorable to blacks). Women who might have made great leaders in 10 years were promoted WAY beyond their current capability just so the male/female numbers would look good. And more competent management left.

You are a racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, misogynist for saying this. So what if it's the truth? The truth is no defense. You have been reported. Understand? REPORTED!

Huh?? WTF?? Did I miss something?

Huh?? WTF?? Did I miss something?

Skor is upset because he's not allowed to make Ford's hiring policies a subject of debate.

Whereas bb62 specifically mentioned Jac Nasser, and cited an attitude that was expressed by Jac Nasser before an assembled group of employees, and which he subsequently did not retract or disavow.

Well some people are still buying Fords. Looks like we have another new Ford in my family today. Of course, if it was not for a '98 Honda Accord giving its life after a 15 year old girl pulled out in front of my brother when he was on a highway at around 40-50 MPH it might have taken more time. Well anyhow my bro and sis-in-law have a '05 Mariner, but that is the wife's car. He had to have a second car so I told him maybe Mom and Dad would sell him their 2000 Taurus which they bought new. No matter the brand...getting a used car is all about how the person before took care of it. It has always been trouble free. So anyhow he called them and they said they would sell and are at the dealership picking up a brand new 2007 Fusion V6 right now. So a Ford is replacing a Honda in a round-about way. One more Ford on the road and one less Honda!

Oh my brother is doing fine. Thank goodness he was wearing his seatbelt and had an airbag. He was able to walk away after being knocked out. The steering column was pushed down about 4 inches!

I just was talking with my parents on the phone, they are doing the paperwork right now and are very excited!!!!!

Edited by 2005Explorer

The hybrid technology that is used in the Escape is purchased from Aisin (which is owned by Toyota) and is 1st generation hybrid technology that Toyota no longer wants.

Do you have any external documentation of this?

As near as I can tell, the primary difference between Ford's Gen 1 and Gen 2 Hybrid systems is that Ford's Gen 2 system is designed to fit within the dimensions of a Duratec 4 & transmission, so that it can be more easily installed

To the best of my knowledge, the patents Ford licensed from Toyota concerned switching from all electric to gas/electric, and that the software governing that switch was written by Ford. The transmission uses a design originally patented by Solomon Technologies in 1992, where the outer ring gear is driven by one power source, while the planetary gears are driven by another.

Whether the Escape transmission is the most up to date transmission Aisin makes, I don't know, but I do know that the transmission incorporates no technology so sophisticated that it can't be sourced elsewhere. As far as I know, the issue with the hybrids is not the question of transmissions as much as it is the question of battery availability.

Also, Bill Ford never promised to have 250,000 hybrids on the road NOW, he promised 250,000 hybrids by 2010, and 250,000 E85 vehicles by now.

It was foolish to make such a promise.

However, I think you misstate the reasons why the hybrids weren't doable (aside from the lukewarm reception for hybrid powertrains on conventional vehicles).

Absolutely, I was thinking the exact same thing!!! Appearantly that white male got passed over on ONE occasion for promotion.

The difference is that bb62 referred to a well documented attitude held by Jac Nasser.

If it escapes the notice of some that "Jac Nasser had a prejudice against white males" is a defensible statement, while "Ford Motor is in trouble because they gave too much money to fags" is not, that is absolutely not my problem.