$6,000 gadgets to meet Mandatory 2012 EU Law who pays?

A new European Union mandate dictates that all new cars after 2012 will have to be fitted with the following green devices which will dictate speed & gear changes under new green laws, who will pick-up the bill, Ford or the new car buyer?

Motorists are going to be forced change the way they drive to help car manufacturers meet strict emission targets 0f 120g by 2012 the European Union announced yesterday.

All new cars will have them fitted by mandatory law by 2012 if they want build or sell cars within Europe.

The Aural/Visual warning devices include, advice that will tell a driver when he must change gear, dictate what speeds they must drive at, and even tell to pump up their tyres, this new technology will add $6,000 to the average price of a new car.

So new cars will have to fitted with compulsory electronic stability control (I think the VW Golf already as this fitted), emergency braking systems controlling the cars speed, which will deter excessive use of brakes and gas pedals, with Aural/warning lights telling drivers when to change gear more efficiently for better fuel efficiency, and a Aural/warning light alarm alerting them they have low tyre pressures. Stop-go technology will switch off an engine at traffic lights or when in a stationary queue, Engines will turn on again when the gas pedal is pressed.

What will l do, probably go to rustic Cuba have a Motown Monster car heaven holiday, bring one back with me, it will be totally tax free exempt on UK roads, exempt from E U environmental laws, not to mention it will be more fuel efficient than a new car which will be carrying a ton of green gadgets onboard, that will cost a fortune to replace when they go wrong, a Motown Monster would be full of classic character and have a warm personality, a Detroit Iron built Motown Monster has a lifespan greater than a B52-Bomber, which must be kinder to the environment, something lacking in new cars, no wonder European's are trying to drive cars off their roads as they are so cold bland boring and very dull, full of plastic with a life expectancy of 13 years max how unkind to the environment could you possibly get.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Damn, whats the sense of driving if the car is going to basically drive itself...

i look at this as a good thing. Why? Because I can reprogram those shift lights for performance instead of "green". Maybe even reprogram it to "dictate" that I drive 80 all the time.

"But Officer, the car TOLD me to drive this speed!"

Nah....too much pedestrian fatalities, but considering how extensively I've traveled in Europe, I would have to say they definately drive better...between manuevering between sidewalk-less cobbledstoned streets in ancient italian towns, crusing through the Autobahn, going in circle in Parisian routondas or slipping thru the Swedish country-side, they do take driving seriously.

I love Swedens law about seatbelts. If your kid isn't wearing one, you go to jail period. Not like we can pull that here in the U.S., our jails are too over-crowded.

Ironically, on Volvo's and a few other makes, you can also watch TV from the navigation screen. Something the U.S. wouldn't allow for good reason. If someone can't drive with a cellphone on their ear, imagine a TV, heh...

Depends where in Europe.

I lived there for two years back in the 80's. Found the Germans, Dutch, & Austrians to be fantstic and courtious drivers. The French and Italian's were horrible.

Overall, I felt safer driving in any EU country than I do here. Even on the A-bahn @ 220km I felt safer than I do here @ 65mph.

Edited by Hemiman

A new European Union mandate dictates that all new cars after 2012 will have to be fitted with the following green devices which will dictate speed & gear changes under new green laws, who will pick-up the bill, Ford or the new car buyer?

Motorists are going to be forced change the way they drive to help car manufacturers meet strict emission targets 0f 120g by 2012 the European Union announced yesterday.

All new cars will have them fitted by mandatory law by 2012 if they want build or sell cars within Europe.

The Aural/Visual warning devices include, advice that will tell a driver when he must change gear, dictate what speeds they must drive at, and even tell to pump up their tyres, this new technology will add $6,000 to the average price of a new car.

So new cars will have to fitted with compulsory electronic stability control (I think the VW Golf already as this fitted), emergency braking systems controlling the cars speed, which will deter excessive use of brakes and gas pedals, with Aural/warning lights telling drivers when to change gear more efficiently for better fuel efficiency, and a Aural/warning light alarm alerting them they have low tyre pressures. Stop-go technology will switch off an engine at traffic lights or when in a stationary queue, Engines will turn on again when the gas pedal is pressed.

What will l do, probably go to rustic Cuba have a Motown Monster car heaven holiday, bring one back with me, it will be totally tax free exempt on UK roads, exempt from E U environmental laws, not to mention it will be more fuel efficient than a new car which will be carrying a ton of green gadgets onboard, that will cost a fortune to replace when they go wrong, a Motown Monster would be full of classic character and have a warm personality, a Detroit Iron built Motown Monster has a lifespan greater than a B52-Bomber, which must be kinder to the environment, something lacking in new cars, no wonder European's are trying to drive cars off their roads as they are so cold bland boring and very dull, full of plastic with a life expectancy of 13 years max how unkind to the environment could you possibly get.

where this number of $6000 come from? I think that number is bullshit.

where this number of $6000 come from? I think that number is bullshit.

I tend to agree with you, Ford could produce most of the components for peanuts in China, But what would they charge the buyer? Three quarters of New cars that are being produced at the moment won't meet the 2012 Emission Tagets, most will have to change to hybrid to meet the targets. It would be impossible for nearly all 4x4s and most sports car to come anywhere close to the 120g per kilometre driven targets, the bodyshells and engines would both have to be downsized big time to meet the targets, even Alan Mulallys Hybrid Toyota Lexus is two times over the limit at the moment, the $6,000 figure was published in both The Times & Daily Mail UK newspapers, l have added a link to a motoring website that thinks $6,600 is more near to the mark. We are even going to be forced to retake driving tests every 10 years by European Union Law, something that l will struggle a bit with. All this will be coming to the States soon l expect, as we both follow one another with law.

http://beehive.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk...mp;PageID=86854

7th NEW POLLUTION LIMITS:Car firms facing pollution curbs

The European Commission has proposed to force carmakers to make an 18% cut in CO2 emissions from new cars by 2012, by improving vehicle technology. Industry Commissioner Guenter Verheugen said legislation was planned to ensure the average car emitted no more than 130g of CO2 per kilometre. The average level for new cars in 2005 was 162g per kilometre. These new proposals could increase the cost of new vehicles by £3300 ($2 to the £).

I just hope you are right

I tend to agree with you, Ford could produce most of the components for peanuts in China, But what would they charge the buyer? Three quarters of New cars that are being produced at the moment won't meet the 2012 Emission Tagets, most will have to change to hybrid to meet the targets. It would be impossible for nearly all 4x4s and most sports car to come anywhere close to the 120g per kilometre driven targets, the bodyshells and engines would both have to be downsized big time to meet the targets, even Alan Mulallys Hybrid Toyota Lexus is two times over the limit at the moment, the $6,000 figure was published in both The Times & Daily Mail UK newspapers, l have added a link to a motoring website that thinks $6,600 is more near to the mark. We are even going to be forced to retake driving tests every 10 years by European Union Law, something that l will struggle a bit with. All this will be coming to the States soon l expect, as we both follow one another with law.

http://beehive.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk...mp;PageID=86854

7th NEW POLLUTION LIMITS:Car firms facing pollution curbs

The European Commission has proposed to force carmakers to make an 18% cut in CO2 emissions from new cars by 2012, by improving vehicle technology. Industry Commissioner Guenter Verheugen said legislation was planned to ensure the average car emitted no more than 130g of CO2 per kilometre. The average level for new cars in 2005 was 162g per kilometre. These new proposals could increase the cost of new vehicles by £3300 ($2 to the £).

I just hope you are right

we do not work in a vaccum, the market will not tolerate a price increase of this magnatude.

we do not work in a vaccum, the market will not tolerate a price increase of this magnatude.

It looks like the whole possible Global Warming thing in Europe is being used as an excuse to tax people there more...when it hasn't been able to be conclusively proven or disproven by scientists. Never forget the stupidity of Government...

It looks like the whole possible Global Warming thing in Europe is being used as an excuse to tax people there more...when it hasn't been able to be conclusively proven or disproven by scientists. Never forget the stupidity of Government...

You are dead right, the poor old motorist & folk using air travel are being used as a cash cow, we are being milked dry at the moment by the European Union

We have a $80 Global Warming air travel tax placed on all long haul flights, the Aircraft fly just below the tropopause for 98% of a long haul flight, the surrounding air temperature is a constant -51c Greenpeace & FOE should be checking to see if the temperature as changed here, and not at sea level, as no aircraft fly for very long at this altitude. If they did carry out a check on the tropopause, they would find that it remains at a constant -51 365 days a year and never changes, so what a BIG con this is. What FOE and Greenpeace should be doing pressing for higher taxes on Hybrid cars, as they are the most hypocritical things ever made, we had a story the other day that showed a Chinese factory which is the biggest producer of hybrid car batteries was using 3 Coal Burning power stations to power the factory& processes, what are they doing about this coal burning power stations NOTHING!!! (What about a ban on all Hybrid cars would be a good start, make them clean up)

How much of the $4 billion Air Travel Tax revenue raised in the UK this year will go back into tackling Global Warming at sea level, not $1 will, it will all diverted to fund bankrupt pensions schemes and paying off goverment overspending, which has very little to do with helping Global Warming.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

there is no real debate on global warming, the industry would much prefer higher fuel taxes than to mandate a economy requirement.

Welcome to the New America. Please check your liberties at the door. Thank you. :censored:

I don't want to degenerate this into a political debate, but THIS kind of shit from our fear-mongering friends on the right, scares me just as much (more, actually) than any of these leftie schemes to extract a few more of our dollars in a possibly misguided attempt to save a livable earth for our children. Like the bumper sticker says: "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." Department of Homeland Security National ID card by 2012 woo-hoo! Looks like 1984 is arriving a little bit late. Oh, click on the "What is Real ID?" link at the top of the page. For anyone who doesn't know this is coming. Then we can get back to the talk on our economy measures.

Edited by retro-man

I don't want to degenerate this into a political debate, but THIS kind of shit from our fear-mongering friends on the right, scares me just as much (more, actually) than any of these leftie schemes to extract a few more of our dollars in a possibly misguided attempt to save a livable earth for our children. Like the bumper sticker says: "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." Department of Homeland Security National ID card by 2012 woo-hoo! Looks like 1984 is arriving a little bit late. Oh, click on the "What is Real ID?" link at the top of the page. For anyone who doesn't know this is coming. Then we can get back to the talk on our economy measures.

So there's something wrong with the government verifying you are legally allowed to have a drivers license before you can get one? Shame on them. What "private" data is there on your drivers license anyway? Everything on a drivers license, except maybe your donor status, is a matter of public record already.

Government making sure I have a valid drivers license? Okay.

Government keeping track of everything I read at the library? Not okay.

There really is a fine line between what I find acceptable and what I don't. I guess it's this gray area that is constantly being exploited by fear-mongering politicians (on both sides) to slowly erode our rights.

Well, maybe it's ok. It's just that there's something kind of creepy about the prolifieration of ways to track your activities and whereabouts. Back to the automotive issue - again, mixed feelings: On the one hand, cars are waaaay over-burdened by do-good regulations. They have gotten fat, heavy, bulbous, ugly, impossible to work on, ....... I'd say "unexciting", except that the horsepower wars going on are just awesome. On the other hand, how many people were killed in traffic accidents last year? What would the outcry be if we lost that many people to terrorist acts in one year? We'd all be hiding under our beds. So, the safety things...... meh. The emissions things: I wonder if electric cars would be exempt, or if they'd reason that they're burning fuel somewhere and clamp down on them too..........

Edited by retro-man