Ford to Import Fiesta from India

igor

i wonder whether this is true

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45086

Igor

I thought they weren't going to try to "out do the Koreans" with cheap shitty cars like they planned to do with the cancelled a "ecosport"

I mean if this is true(which I doubt 99% it is) Then Ford needs to save everyone the time and liquidate their assets now.

I thought they weren't going to try to "out do the Koreans" with cheap shitty cars like they planned to do with the cancelled a "ecosport"

I mean if this is true(which I doubt 99% it is) Then Ford needs to save everyone the time and liquidate their assets now.

It's a cheap shitty car you say? Have you driven it? I have. The Fiesta was designed by Ford Australia as an economical car for India . As Ford NA is sourcing most of its smaller cars from Europe, I hardly think it will be used on your side of the world.

So just relax, M'k?

First... WTF!! why import from India when they can import from Mexico? (and I think they are not the same Fiesta.)

Second... So, after all IT job, and 800 calling center... we are importing/outsource car from/to India too...

The Mexican Fiesta is built in Brazil (in Camacari - the same plant that builds the EcoSport).

Importing from India makes no sense. Federalizing the Indian car would cost major $$$$ - and could it even be ready for December of this year? Probably not.

India builds the Fusion for Europe, and since every car in Europe is too good for NA, why not look into sourcing the b-car from them. Ford has NEVER had a leader in this segment, so I support bringing one in from border-line-offensive-slave-laborish-wage-rate locales.

If they're bringing 2-3 over, what's wrong with this?

norm_10_Ford_Fusion_Plus_2004UK.jpg

This looks competitive to me;

norm_1_India_Fiesta_12_2005_AUS.jpg

but something looks misplaced here :stats: ;

norm_60_Fiesta_2005_INDIA.jpg

I believe the point of this was that Ford of INIDIA WANTS to absorb the costs of the modification to be allowed to export to US.

The Brazillian Fiesta and EcoSport and the Mexican Icon do not hold candle to this vehicle in terms of assembly quality, interior materials etc. As posted above, This car was designed for the AU market and ford India also exports to EU, which to me says that this car will be at least competitive quality and assembly wise in the US market and

Remember Fields canceled the plans for a separate B-segment plant in NA because of costs, so it was xpected they would import (at least for now).

Igor

I'll buy it if it comes over. I think it's ridiculous that nowadays people are clamoring to buy vehicles that are "economical" and yet they can't get 40MPG. I drove my wife's old Ford Festiva like I stole it and always got 42MPG. It would break 47 on the open road at 55MPH.

Bring it on. I'll buy.

I'll buy it if it comes over. I think it's ridiculous that nowadays people are clamoring to buy vehicles that are "economical" and yet they can't get 40MPG. I drove my wife's old Ford Festiva like I stole it and always got 42MPG. It would break 47 on the open road at 55MPH.

Bring it on. I'll buy.

I was just pointing this out to my better half .. in the 80's or so you bought a civic and it got you 40-50mpg real world .. now we thing it is the second coming of J.C. when civic gets 40mpg (by EPA)

Igor

My 87 Ford EXP averaged 44 mpg on a trip to Florida. But you also have to remember new cars are better equiped now with safety options, power everything, air conditioning, large wheels and more HP. My EXP had crank up windows, no AC weighed 2,200 pounds and I'm sure it would not have passed any safety tests placed on cars today. (although the girl who bought it after had crashed it five times and never got hurt. The 5th time destroyed the car.)

People expect a lot more from economy cars today than in the past. When you think about it, the Focus is pretty amazing to have most of the good options and safety, a pzev engine and get 37 MPG highway.

-edited to add the hwy to 37 mpg. It gets high 20's city.

Edited by atomcat68

Welcome to the wolrd on safety gear... Yes cars get less milag, but they are also 2x the weight. That increase in weight is due to increased safety. And if you doubt that find a video of what happens when a previous model is crash tested against a new one. I saw one done by a British car show and it was telling. You could have walked away unharmed from the new one and would be lucky to live in the old one. Makes even more difference in smaller cars, where you don't have mass to help you.

India builds the Fusion for Europe, and since every car in Europe is too good for NA, why not look into sourcing the b-car from them. Ford has NEVER had a leader in this segment, so I support bringing one in from border-line-offensive-slave-laborish-wage-rate locales.

If they're bringing 2-3 over, what's wrong with this?

norm_10_Ford_Fusion_Plus_2004UK.jpg

This looks competitive to me;

norm_1_India_Fiesta_12_2005_AUS.jpg

but something looks misplaced here :stats: ;

norm_60_Fiesta_2005_INDIA.jpg

The Fiesta looks like someone sucked all the fat out of a 2005-2007 Five Hundred!

If the build quality passes like the CD3 Family in Mexico does, bring it on.

Hugh

Pretty interesting and doesn't look all that bad either, but IMO I rather have the Euro hatchback...but hey Ford needs new Product NOW and this could fill the gap.

But there are a huge amount of hurdles in the way for this to happen, esp with the UAW

There's a prize understatement.

This thread started as someone copying a rumor on a GM Board.

Someone's friend's uncle worked at Ford India? Please....

Here are some facts:

All the fiestas share the common architecture. What everyone's quibbling about are the Top Hats, specially selected for that region of the world. I'm sure if the Fiesta comes to North America it would have different skin selected for that market's tastes.

This thread started as someone copying a rumor on a GM Board.

Someone's friend's uncle worked at Ford India? Please....

Here are some facts:

All the fiestas share the common architecture. What everyone's quibbling about are the Top Hats, specially selected for that region of the world. I'm sure if the Fiesta comes to North America it would have different skin selected for that market's tastes.

True. Very True. It is a rumor and it is a very big if. My question is, how 'American' does the skin have to be?

Don't forget... I foreshadowed the coming of India in this early February post:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...c=10297&hl=

-Ovaltine

To say India with their native-made product and China with their native-made product would never come to NA is false. It is only a matter of time. Wether they will succeed remains to be seen.

In this case, this product is made for both India and for export designed and specifications are from FOE. The CD3 family are originally from Japan, designed by Ford NA and built to their specifications in Mexico.

I fail to see the connection here Ovaltine.

Not impossible.

Ford of India has been around a long time, at least 75 years, as a subsidiary that reported to Ford Canada. Ford India really came into its maturity in WW2, as part of the world-wide Ford war effort. Anyway, just pointing out that there is a history and tradition of vehicle production.

Ford needs to come up with something to cover the next couple of years, even if they have to teleport it from Mars. After the Koreans get done announcing the shuttering of half of Chrysler's NA facilities in the next 3-5 years, the UAW might be more receptive to practical and logical global production plans.

This is really the beginning of the final act in UAW strength in the USA. (PS: I don't think Daimler has done a damn thing right with Chrysler for the past few years, and don't personally care; but once it is sold off and begins it's final shuttering my point is that much will quickly change.)

Not impossible.

Ford of India has been around a long time, at least 75 years, as a subsidiary that reported to Ford Canada. Ford India really came into its maturity in WW2, as part of the world-wide Ford war effort. Anyway, just pointing out that there is a history and tradition of vehicle production.

Could you remind me how that chain of command worked out? Very Interesting.

Ford needs to come up with something to cover the next couple of years, even if they have to teleport it from Mars. After the Koreans get done announcing the shuttering of half of Chrysler's NA facilities in the next 3-5 years, the UAW might be more receptive to practical and logical global production plans.

This is really the beginning of the final act in UAW strength in the USA. (PS: I don't think Daimler has done a damn thing right with Chrysler for the past few years, and don't personally care; but once it is sold off and begins it's final shuttering my point is that much will quickly change.)

The Koreans have bailed out Chrysler? No more 300s but only Azures?

J/K

The Koreans have bailed out Chrysler? No more 300s but only Azures?

J/K

LOL, the Koreans might be the only ones who see neato powertrain technology in Chrysler's carcass (separate from Daimler). At least Ford, when it bought Volvo, got to make good use of old platforms to make new (and very safe) Fords!

Long live the late-90's E-class!

The point is this car is dull, very very dull in a segment already filled with dull cars from much more respected automobile manufacturers and it won't sell. Simple as that, people aren't going to buy a boring dull Ford when there is a boring dull toyota competing against it. The 500 and freestyle proved that. Ford needs to bring quality products with an edge on styling and price to start to get their customers back who have and are still flocking to the japanese. This vehicle if brought over will fail and simply give ford an excuse not to try bringing vehicles over from Europe.

Edited by DCK

The point is this car is dull, very very dull in a segment already filled with dull cars from much more respected automobile manufacturers and it won't sell. Simple as that, people aren't going to buy a boring dull Ford when there is a boring dull toyota competing against it. The 500 and freestyle proved that. Ford needs to bring quality products with an edge on styling and price to start to get their customers back who have and are still flocking to the japanese. This vehicle if brought over will fail and simply give ford an excuse not to try bringing vehicles over from Europe.

Ford sells quite a few dull Crown Vic's, 500's, Freestyle's, and Foci. There's this bigger-than-necessary dealer network out there, waiting for SOMETHING to sell in this segment. It's not like the Chevy Aveo's of the world are super extracalidocious exciting, it's that they are practical, efficient, maintainable cars (notice maintainable; see; dealer network to provide service, which oh-by-the-way is profitable to the dealer network), which people trust not because they are all built in Japan or Ohio or Korea, but because Bill and Sue have bought Chevy's/Ford's/Honda's/Toyota's in the past, and they have worked as advertised. Ford can't keep ignoring young/non-affluent consumer's buying cheapo little cars forever; it is foregoing revenue on the sale, service, and long-term sales/contact opportunities.

Sadly, the auto world is not governed by BON enthusiasts, but by auto consumers, and here's your volume competitor;

x07ch_av017.jpg

How exactly would the Indian-built, Euro-spec'd Fiesta fall short as a competitor? Ford isn't going to dominate, but it'd be nice to play in the game, so to speak.