The truth about trucks...

ebritt

"Super Duty’s frame features a fully boxed front section for strength and torsional stiffness. From the boxed section back, the frame uses steel that is the thickest gauge of any pickup."

That doesn't make much sense to me, but what the h___ do I know?

Quoted from here:

http://www.fordf150.net/2007/2007-ford-f25...ty-overview.php

I would not doubt that it's in the works! First the F-150 in 04' than the Explorer in 06', I heard a rumor it's coming to the E-150 in 2010. The Change may be coming to the Superduty too!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not doubt that it's in the works! First the F-150 in 04' than the Explorer in 06', I heard a rumor it's coming to the E-150 in 2010. The Change may be coming to the Superduty too!

How much of a pig do they want to make it?

The problem with the Tundra is that they have the frame made 3 different ways...from fully boxed to channeled...They made it too complex!

Ahem. "Front section". It's not boxed front to rear like the F-150. Just stirring the pot. :hysterical:

The key advantage of a box section is that it provides the same amount of rigidity as a taller piece of c-channel. I suspect that box section provides more rigidity at a lower weight, but I don't know that for sure.

Anyway, the advantage of box section on a half-ton pickup is that it provides more rigidity in a consumer friendly package. Since SDs are overwhelmingly commercial, the high step-in that comes with a taller frame is less of an issue.

My 67 bronco had a boxed frame, but don't worry, toyota will box theirs and then claim to have invented it.

I've argued with pro import guys that said honda/toyota invented macpherson strut, overhead cams,four valve per cyl,etc. I showed a pic of a '29 deusenburg with 4v per cyl and chain drive OHC and got blank looks! :hysterical:

Here's a question, who invented rack and pinion steering/ what was it first used on?

How much of a pig do they want to make it?

The problem with the Tundra is that they have the frame made 3 different ways...from fully boxed to channeled...They made it too complex!

I don't know how complicated it is to build a C-channel frame with the same old method we used for every truck before 2004! Wow, that is pure genius!

Edited by Furious1Auto

If the fully boxed frame is so superior, why doesn't the Super Duty use one? :stirpot:

Because the SuperDuty market demanded a C-channel rear frame section. Many SuperDutys (and E-series vans) are sold as cab-chassis to be upfitted for their specific jobs and it is easier to upfit a wide variety of equipment like ambulance, tow truck or motor home bodies, to the C-channel frame. Even standard (non-dual rear wheel) SuperDuty trucks are sometimes purchased with the bed which is later removed by the owner and/or modified for specific work. F-150s are very rarely modified in this manner so the fully boxed frame is used on the F-150 and the SuperDuty has a boxed front section with very heavy duty C-channel rear section.

Of course the Tundra is not capable of being modified for the kind of heavy work Ford SuperDuty trucks perform.

Because the SuperDuty market demanded a C-channel rear frame section. Many SuperDutys (and E-series vans) are sold as cab-chassis to be upfitted for their specific jobs and it is easier to upfit a wide variety of equipment like ambulance, tow truck or motor home bodies, to the C-channel frame. Even standard (non-dual rear wheel) SuperDuty trucks are sometimes purchased with the bed which is later removed by the owner and/or modified for specific work. F-150s are very rarely modified in this manner so the fully boxed frame is used on the F-150 and the SuperDuty has a boxed front section with very heavy duty C-channel rear section.

Of course the Tundra is not capable of being modified for the kind of heavy work Ford SuperDuty trucks perform.

I'm sure Toyota would attempt to jump into the cut-away market if they weren't having such a hard time selling the P.O.S. 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks! :hysterical:

Chevy is the king of motors, and Ford is the king of chassis and rear ends. Watch a rock crawling competition then find out what makes up their drivetrain. Everything is custom and this is the bulletproof set up you will find! "I forgot the Atlas 2 transfer case." I wish they would create a new brand or buy the AMC name to build this truck in a joint venture. UAW or not, but with all U.S. built parts so people would no longer be able to say. "There is not a vehicle on the road that doesn't have foreign parts on it"! Don't get me wrong I'm pro-union and the 5.4 is a good motor but, it does not have the reputation of Chevrolets 350 CID! Even though right now I beleave Ford has the best truck overall! Not best selling, best equipt!

The Chevy 350 proliferated due to their cheapness. Cheap to buy, cheap to mod, and plentiful. The Ford 351 was always a better, tougher engine than the Chevy 350 and just as easy (if not easier) to make power with -- just not as cheap.

The Chevy 350 proliferated due to their cheapness. Cheap to buy, cheap to mod, and plentiful. The Ford 351 was always a better, tougher engine than the Chevy 350 and just as easy (if not easier) to make power with -- just not as cheap.

I do have to credit Crystler and Toyota for one thing though, The adjustable sliding and reclining rear seat. I see this becoming standard in all crewcabs in the future for all manufacturers! This is a Crystler lead innovation not Toyota's!

I study the monthly sales report anytime I see one . The Tundra has never been in the top 40 vehicles sold in the U.S. Most of the American's that buy trucks are rednecks, hillbilly's, Farmers, ranchers, and American business owners people with a sense of loyalty to America. Good luck selling it to anyone but the brothers in the hood! Even if that sorryass excuse for a truck was better than the domestic brands. I'd rather drive a Dodge at least they recognize the value of a boxed frame! Toyota's attempt to sell a three section frame and telling people it's the best is like, selling CZ and telling people it's better than diamond! In their sales pitch they stated that they could have boxed their frame like other manufacturers and then contiued to state that a three section c-channel frame is "smarter engineering"! :hysterical: If your building a hardcore off road vehicle or rock crawler the first step is to strip the body off and box in the frame! Ford's have had a 8'" to 10" drop boxed frame with welded through cross members from the factory since 2004, and the explorer got the same treatment in 2006! Dodge also has a boxed frame but it's only a 4 1/2" drop! My idea of the perfect truck would be a 04' or newer Ford with a 5.7L Chevy engine and trans, and a Ford 9" rear end for the drivetrain!

...because only yuppie, snobs/broads and metrosexual males buy Toyota and Honda trucks! :hysterical: