should turn away from the small Ranger. It will only hurt the F150 sales as it

has already. Get cooking FORD.

I bought my second F150 because of the small difference in gas mileage

between it and the Ranger. I have had three Ford Rangers extended cab

trucks and liked them all. If Ford does not make a new Ranger like GM or

Chrysler I will be forced to buy a non Ford truck. There is no reason that Ford

should turn away from the small Ranger. It will only hurt the F150 sales as it

has already. Get cooking FORD.

I agree, having such an uncompetative truck in its lineup will make people doubt the quality of the F150. It may save a few F150 sales this year, but down the road it will hurt Ford's image, degrading future sales figures.

I do agree that the F-150 is now just too big. We recently checked out the wheelbase comparisons and overall length of our last generation (1999 F-150 extended cab, 6.5 bed) and the current ones - over six inches longer. I swear our 1988 F-250 extended cab with 8 foot bed was not much longer. And, for its day - that was a huge truck.

We have a late model Ranger 4X4 and it's a nice truck. I think you'll find that in real time, every day gas mileage, the difference is meaningful with current gas prices. The difference being for us in everyday driving with the 4.0 4X4 Ranger of 18/19 mpg very consistently and the 5.4 4X4 of 13/14 mpg, sometimes worse. That's about a third difference and therefore about a third less in terms of fuel cost.

Of course, Ford has chosen not to offer anything but a 2-seater in the Ranger. And no, the SportTrac doesn't count if you want a small truck that gets used as a truck that needs to haul and tow something on occasion. Hard for me to figure that the 4.6 SOHC V-8 could not deliver good mpg in the right vehicle that is large enough to be comfortable and big enough to do some truck duties. Ford is not the only one in this squeeze. The new Tundra is also too big for most folks and should be quite interesting to follow in terms of sales. Maybe Ford will come through and bring us a real half-ton truck again in North America that is powered easily and efficiently with a strong, small V-8.

Lots of folks out there doing what I am doing - keep driving what you got until somebody comes up with a nice, reasonably sized half-ton truck that gets 20+ mpg on the highway in 4X4 trim.

I question the notion that a new SportTrac can't be a good V8 powered 4X4 used for occasional towing and loading. Spec wise it'll out tow any Ranger available and get better hwy mileage too boot. 296HP, 300 Lb-Ft, 4 doors, ~7000 lbs towing, better ride and handling and 20 MPG Hwy. Sound's like a pretty good package as long as you don't need too big of a bed.

My beef is with the lack of availabilty of well equipped 4 Cyl Supercab Rangers. Back in the 80's and 90's there were good sellers to folks like me who only need them as a secondary vehicle. Now they are Unmarketed and unstocked at dealers.

The SportTrac is a nice vehicle but it's not for someone that actually uses a truck. The bed is a joke in terms of size and I don't think I'll ever consider independent rear suspension on a truck. Basically, it's not a truck but rather an SUV with a small bed on it.

Guess it appeals to a limited number of people but it does not qualify as an upgrade to the Ranger.

• 3 weeks later...
I had a Sport Trac and hauled my 2000 Vt1100 C3 across country in the bed with no complaints.

I towed a 3500 lb Hurrican Deckboat back and forth to the lake with it. Towed fine.

I think its a lot more versitile and capable than you give it credit.

I HOPE SOMEONE FROM FORD IS LISTENING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. People want a small truck with better back seats then you now have

in the extended cab.

2. A door in the extended cab that swing more than 90 degrees open.

3. A small truck with GOOD gas mileage 20 MPG and more.

4. And a small truck that cost less than a big truck with rebates.

If Ford can come up with the above they will regain the advantage in the truck market.

A person who buy a Ranger will probaby buy a F150 if they move up in the market.

Ford don't lose than advantage or sale will be hurt.

I HOPE SOMEONE FROM FORD IS LISTENING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. People want a small truck with better back seats then you now have

in the extended cab.

2. A door in the extended cab that swing more than 90 degrees open.

3. A small truck with GOOD gas mileage 20 MPG and more.

4. And a small truck that cost less than a big truck with rebates.

If Ford can come up with the above they will regain the advantage in the truck market.

A person who buy a Ranger will probaby buy a F150 if they move up in the market.

Ford don't lose than advantage or sale will be hurt.

I sure wouldnt buy an F150 if I were going to move up market. Theyre too big plain and simple. Even my father who owned a 95 F150 thinks the new models are just too big and "fancy". Something is needed there is no doubt about that.

• 1 month later...

I currently drive a 02 Supercrew and will be looking for a mid-size PU in 2 years. I hope Ford will update the Ranger by then. As a consumer I'll be looking to down size to a mid-size crewcab truck, because the Supercrew Lariat is just to big for me. My choices right now are the Tacoma, Colorado/Canyon, Frontier and Dakota. I've already ruled out the Dakota because of bad gas mileage.

I'm looking for a 4 door mid-size PU that has a nice smooth and quiet V6 and transmission(like the Edge), something that would get at least 18-25 mpg, a truck that has innovative styling like the Edge has (but look like a truck), a nice and comfortable interior with all the latest "tech" items available. I'll probably will not tow anything very often and would use it primarily as transportation to and from work, I need a truck bed but do not want to feel like I'm driving a bus like now. As you can probably tell we just bought an Edge and love it, and would be looking towards Ford for a great mid-size truck. If I could shrink my Supercrew by 25% and get that percent increase in gas mileage, I'd just keep it.

Edited by Aggie79

If/when Ford does update/replace the Ranger, it will be another "midsize" truck creeping up on the old fullsize truck standard, I'd just as soon it stay small. I understand having a larger 1 ton series of trucks, Superduties, etc. Downsize the F-150, Ram, and Silverado to their old sizes so maybe we won't need stepladders to get in and out of them.

Yeppers- here's the quandry. GM took the average-to-subpar S-10 and "improved it with the Colorado. Net result- the Colorado is better than the S-10 ever was in any measure except two- it's underpowered, and prices within striking distance of a Silverado comparably equipped (let's not talk about styling- that's another issue). To be exact, about a grand difference in price and a whopping 2---- count 'em, 2 mpg difference in fuel mileage. And that's between an anemic 5-banger and a 5.3 V8. :banghead:

In case no one's noticing, sales of the entire compact/mid-size pickup segment are falling through the floor- and there's the reason why. The smaller trucks aren't cheap or necessarily fuel-efficient (Tacoma's are notorious for poor mpg), but they do have some serious compromises in room and utility. Cliffs notes- the full-size offer better value, and that's where the consumers are headed.

Edited by PolarBear

I'm one of those people who do not want another full size PU, I have a supercrew that barely fits in my garage and do not want to feel like I'm driving a bus. I want something that rides higher than a car, but gets the gas mileage and ride of a car. I also need to be able to throw stuff in the bed of a truck and would like to have a roll-up cover on it, but I do not want the size of the small PU's. I like my supercrew but it needs to shrink 25% and get better gas mileage. I hope Ford does develope something with good looks in the mid-size crew cab PU market.

Yeah, speaking of the new Tacoma, I was shocked by it's size when it debuted. Even though I haven't gone stats hunting, the new Tacoma seems just a hair smaller than my old 1997 T-100, which was about 95% of a fullsize truck. The old fullsize that is.

Edited by Armada Master

• 2 weeks later...

As it stand right now I'll probably have to get a Tacoma unless Ford developes a mid-size PU in the next 2-3 years. I like the fit and finish a little better than the Colorado's and they drive tight and quiet like my Fords do. Does anybody know if Ford will have a mid-size 4dr. updated or totally new Ranger or F-100 in the next couple of years?

I agree with all of you on the fact Ford needs to re-design the Ranger. I don't agree on changing the size of F150. There's a reason the F150 is the top selling vehicle in America, it covers just about all the bases for just about all the buyers. Could you imagine the cost of redesigning the F150 now, after all, its only 3 model years old. If anything, I think Ford will just freshen it up some, like the 08 Super Duties.

Re-do the Ranger and leave it the same size, bring the "New Ranger" from across the pond (currently on sale in Great Britain, see the Ford UK site) and name it the F-100, then make a Subaru Baja beater from the forthcoming Flex...not sure if the name Ranchero should be reused...maybe something snappier....a play on the Flex name.....like Flex-100...Flex-able Flyer...Flex-a-tility...Flux (Flex and Truck, lol), just hope it doesn't become a....Flop.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm one of those people who do not want another full size PU, I have a supercrew that barely fits in my garage and do not want to feel like I'm driving a bus. I want something that rides higher than a car, but gets the gas mileage and ride of a car. I also need to be able to throw stuff in the bed of a truck and would like to have a roll-up cover on it, but I do not want the size of the small PU's. I like my supercrew but it needs to shrink 25% and get better gas mileage. I hope Ford does develope something with good looks in the mid-size crew cab PU market.

I'm curious, what's wrong with the Explorer Sport Trac?

I think car gas mileage is a little much to ask for in that class if you want a v6 and enough interior room for 4 to be comfortable (like it sounds like you do.) IIRC even the Colorado that's short a cylinder only gets about 23 (EPA) where my thirsty (for a car) V8 T-bird can pull down 24-26 on a good day and my V8 Dakota would do more like 18-20.

I had a Sport Trac and hauled my 2000 Vt1100 C3 across country in the bed with no complaints.

I towed a 3500 lb Hurrican Deckboat back and forth to the lake with it. Towed fine.

I think its a lot more versitile and capable than you give it credit.

It's in the works, It's called an F-100. Stay tuned!

It's in the works, It's called an F-100. Stay tuned!
Don't bank on it. According to an automotive News article this week (6-4-2007), entitled "Ranger's in danger: Is Ford out? Small-truck segment sags; company weighs its options " small truck sales have taken a huge dump. This the case not only for Ford, but GM & Chrysler as well.

Ranger sales : 2002 - 226,094 ; 2006 - 92,420

Chevrolet Colorado 2002 (S10) 150,922 ; 2006 - 93,876

Dodge Dakota 2002 130,712 ; 2006 - 76,098

According to the article, the Toyota Tacoma is the only one to buck the downward trend and posted a sales increase of 16.6% since 2004. The article went on to quote the UAW as saying they've heard nothing about a Ranger replacement, and the suppliers aren't talking, which is itself unusual. It looks like Ford is on the fence as to what to do about the Ranger. Importing a small truck may not make financial sense either, with the weak dollar and a 25% tariff on imported trucks.

Don't bank on it. According to an automotive News article this week (6-4-2007), entitled "Ranger's in danger: Is Ford out? Small-truck segment sags; company weighs its options " small truck sales have taken a huge dump. This the case not only for Ford, but GM & Chrysler as well.

Ranger sales : 2002 - 226,094 ; 2006 - 92,420

Chevrolet Colorado 2002 (S10) 150,922 ; 2006 - 93,876

Dodge Dakota 2002 130,712 ; 2006 - 76,098

According to the article, the Toyota Tacoma is the only one to buck the downward trend and posted a sales increase of 16.6% since 2004. The article went on to quote the UAW as saying they've heard nothing about a Ranger replacement, and the suppliers aren't talking, which is itself unusual. It looks like Ford is on the fence as to what to do about the Ranger. Importing a small truck may not make financial sense either, with the weak dollar and a 25% tariff on imported trucks.

Those numbers arnt too surprising when you consider that the colorado was a thai import and the dakota has been neglected for years. The Taco which was redesigned a few years back...sales gain. Redesign the truck...and not import a thai version and things should take off.

Those numbers arnt too surprising when you consider that the colorado was a thai import and the dakota has been neglected for years. The Taco which was redesigned a few years back...sales gain. Redesign the truck...and not import a thai version and things should take off.

The Colorado is assembled in Shreveport, LA. It would be prohibitively expensive to import Thai built pickups because of the 25% tariff. The Thai connection is that the same GMT355/ISZ190 platform, which was jointly designed by GM and Isuzu, is also used for Holden and Isuzu pickups built in Thailand.

The Dakota got a nearly complete redesign for 2005. The front suspension, frame, body and interior were almost totally new; engines, driveline parts and such were carried over. In 2008 it gets a nose job and a 300 HP 4.7L engine.