FIRST 09 F-150 MULE SIGHTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see that there will be a 'true' reg. cab again!!! Now just put the boss 6.2 in it and I'm all over that!!

Im a little dissapointed that the access cab will be going away because it was very useful for me but oh well I will be very happy with a 6.2 liter Boss. :happy feet:

except for the first picture, we built those test mules last year. Nothing special about them except the drivetrain. And there was a lot more than two dozen...we built like 180-200 of those test beasts. Don't read too much into the body...they are just test mules, not a whole like of functionality going on. We start building the next phase of test mules on March 12. They are supposed to be "varification prototypes", don't know if that means they will be similar to production version or not.

And yes, the 150 is supposed to get a diesel.

except for the first picture, we built those test mules last year. Nothing special about them except the drivetrain. And there was a lot more than two dozen...we built like 180-200 of those test beasts. Don't read too much into the body...they are just test mules, not a whole like of functionality going on. We start building the next phase of test mules on March 12. They are supposed to be "varification prototypes", don't know if that means they will be similar to production version or not.

And yes, the 150 is supposed to get a diesel.

Will the next F150 lose the access door?

Technically that's just a platform mule. I don't think they would drop the little access door in the final product.

There was someone on here that saw the new truck back some time ago and they said that the little door was gone. And I for one am GLAD!! I could not stand that little door.

BTW, did anyone notice the tach only goes to 5K rpm? Will the F150 finally get a diesel?

I am thinking this truck is running around with some sort of a small turbo diesel under the hood. That would explain why they are using a PowerStroke gauge cluster on it. Also, notice the automatic transmission lever is from the SuperDuty. The appearance of a diesel in the F150 will do a lot for sales. Ford needs to focus on powertrain first then worry about the rest. The current pickup is a great pickup just in need of better engine and transmission choices. Also, I don't mind if they use some elements of the 2004 design, it still looks great, as long as they do enough to the styling and interior that it looks different. I'd rather see a facelifted model then a truck that looks ugly like a new Tundra. Looking at the new Silverado and the Ram the Ford is not behind at all in styling...they just need to make it look even better and add more power!

I am thinking this truck is running around with some sort of a small turbo diesel under the hood. That would explain why they are using a PowerStroke gauge cluster on it. Also, notice the automatic transmission lever is from the SuperDuty. The appearance of a diesel in the F150 will do a lot for sales. Ford needs to focus on powertrain first then worry about the rest. The current pickup is a great pickup just in need of better engine and transmission choices. Also, I don't mind if they use some elements of the 2004 design, it still looks great, as long as they do enough to the styling and interior that it looks different. I'd rather see a facelifted model then a truck that looks ugly like a new Tundra. Looking at the new Silverado and the Ram the Ford is not behind at all in styling...they just need to make it look even better and add more power!

4.4l V8 Common-rail Turbo Diesel. back in the day I heard the "target" HP/TQ numbers were 330hp and 520ft/lb of torque.

it is an upsized version of the new Land Rover 3.6l V8 Diesel Ford launched last year - with the smaller displacement and twin turbos the engine produced 266 hp and 472 ft/lbs of Torque.

The engine will be built wither in Cleveland or Brazil (the latter seemed more likely last time I heard back in November or so)

This engine might also be a "base" diesel for the Super Duty and might also make it to the Expedition.

Igor

Edited by igor

4.4l V8 Common-rail Turbo Diesel. back in the day I heard the "target" HP/TQ numbers were 330hp and 520ft/lb of torque.

it is an upsized version of the new Land Rover 3.6l V8 Diesel Ford launched last year - with the smaller displacement and twin turbos the engine produced 266 hp and 472 ft/lbs of Torque.

Igor

The Expedition would do well with this engine. It would offer something that the Tahoe and Suburban don't have and improve fuel economy.

I see the new 5.7L engine from Toyota have 381 hp and 401 ft/lb torque. Would it be safe to assume that this baby V8 diesel will out tow the Toyota??? Isn't torque more important then horsepower in a pickup application? Granted the Toyota gas burner will probably out accelerate the diesel empty with the higher horsepower numbers. Also, a 4.4L V8 diesel (especially a European designed diesel) should kill those huge gas burners in real world fuel economy. I know Ford is also working on a 6.2L gas V8, but I could see the diesel becoming more popular if it has a lot of power and does better on fuel. Last, I am sure the diesel will demand a higher price, but hopefully if it is an in-house engine that cost can be brought down to where it is competitive with larger gas engines.

I don't know about anyone else, but the idea of a small turbo diesel in the F-150 is really exciting! :happy feet:

The Expedition would do well with this engine. It would offer something that the Tahoe and Suburban don't have and improve fuel economy.

I see the new 5.7L engine from Toyota have 381 hp and 401 ft/lb torque. Would it be safe to assume that this baby V8 diesel will out tow the Toyota??? Isn't torque more important then horsepower in a pickup application? Granted the Toyota gas burner will probably out accelerate the diesel empty with the higher horsepower numbers. Also, a 4.4L V8 diesel (especially a European designed diesel) should kill those huge gas burners in real world fuel economy. I know Ford is also working on a 6.2L gas V8, but I could see the diesel becoming more popular if it has a lot of power and does better on fuel. Last, I am sure the diesel will demand a higher price, but hopefully if it is an in-house engine that cost can be brought down to where it is competitive with larger gas engines.

I don't know about anyone else, but the idea of a small turbo diesel in the F-150 is really exciting! :happy feet:

I believe everything you said is correct ...

and yes there will be a 5.8l and 6.2l Boss engines, and both of them (or at least the 6.2l) should put Toyota back where it belongs (and it is not the top)... along with 6speed and lower weight of the new F150, it should accelerate MUCH better than the current one.

Igor

I haven't heard anywhere that they put the truck on a diet? Where'd you hear that? I'm just curious. Not trying to call your remark into question as this diet is really needed.

I heard it on here ... I do not remember where (which thread or who posted it) , but it was mentioned here on BOF .

Igor

Something tells me that a diesel F-150 is gonna be quite expensive. I would expect that the price of a diesel F-150 to be about $3000-$4000 less then a layout comparable F-250 (i.e. shortbed crew to shortbed crew) diesel. That way, it keeps lots of people that want a diesel pickup from abandoning the SD line. If the Diesel F-150 is too inexpensive as compared to an F-250 diesel, I can see a lot of F-250 diesel volume disappearing into diesel F-150s. And, can you imagine the fleet volume they could move being first in the show with a diesel F-150?

So are they going to wait until the new F150 drops for the Diesel or will they drop it in the current F150 to try and stave off any lost sales?

the diesel is not ready ... and the current F150 likely cannot support the transmission etc the diesel will need ... after all the current F150 cannot even fir the new 6speed tranny the Expedition already has. I would not count on the F150 sales to continue to slide .. they slid LAST spring/summer and have been steady since then ... last Jan/Feb the F150 was still bullishly on the way to 900k units .. it barely sold 80k after all.

So it is not really declining - it dropped about 9 months ago and is steady since then

Igor

and yes there will be a 5.8l and 6.2l Boss engines,... along with 6speed and lower weight of the new F150, it should accelerate MUCH better than the current one.

Igor

Man, this sounds like a great start towards another Lightning. Less weight, big engine choice....it has to be on the horizon!

I believe everything you said is correct ...

and yes there will be a 5.8l and 6.2l Boss engines, and both of them (or at least the 6.2l) should put Toyota back where it belongs (and it is not the top)... along with 6speed and lower weight of the new F150, it should accelerate MUCH better than the current one.

Igor

The Twin Force 3.5 and a 3.7 N/A will also be available.

I think it was Mark Fields who said the F-150 will see a total update in '09. Of course, the Escape and Focus got a reskin and only one turned out to be an improvement ;).

I figure Ford is a 50/50 carmaker, they only get things right half the time. The F-150 is important so lets hope they are on their game this time. They will still lose the sales crown in 5 years regardless.

Who are they going to lose the title to???

There certainly can't be that many blind people around............. to buy the Tundra (have seen 3 on the road so far. Lets just say that they get uglier every time I see one. Kinda like a melted current gen F150 mated with a previous gen F150............... and then someone increased the air pressure and made it all bloated).

The new Silverado certainly doesn't impress me in the looks department either. Have seen a few of them on the roads also. Blunt front looks like it hit a wall................. and those wheel arches/fender flares that match nothing else on the truck............... the worst. Yuck.

Oh well, I guess we will have to see.