And I thought the Tundra was SUPERIOR!?!

ebritt

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big rear brakes.

iam a die hard ford retiree with 35 years of service,and iam hearing some truck folks bitching about there powerstrokes that are heading towards tundra.and that is not a good sign.....let me refresh the past the ford taurus a big seller,now camary...........read the writing on the wall????a repeat of the past???????FORD WAKE UP!!!!!!!!

I just seen that.....I think there something wrong??

It was published in the March issue of PM and has been up on their website for some time. Don't you think if it was a misprint they would have corrected it by now? Also, the normal test protocol is to make multiple runs and average them to wash out any anomolous results. The answer does seem strange but I doubt PM would publish if they weren't certain it could stand up to scrutiny.

Just a theory mind you:

Empty, in an emergency stop, the F-150 transfers lots of weight to the front end and the rear axle unloads. This is the reason that, for a decade now, the F-150 has had at least rear axle ABS as the rear brakes would lock up immediately and provide very little braking force in empty situations. In an empty truck, the ABS runs a duty cycle thatis over 80% reduced braking force to keep the rear from locking up, meaning that the rear brakes are barely providing any braking force at all.

Having driven a 99 F-150 for several years, and having had my share of panic stops, I can testify that the rear ABS kicks in quickly while the fronts aren't anywhere near as agressive under normal traction conditions.

Now, in the loaded situation, the center of gravity for the vehicle is in the center, or even slightly aft of center. Under full braking, while there is still a lot of weight transfer forward, there is much more weigh on the rear axle. This means that the ABS, if it engages at all, will run a much longer brake cycle before it has to let up for locking. This means that the rear brakes can provide much more braking force than they could before.

Now, will this translate into a shorter loaded stopping distance than an unloaded stoping distance? I don't know for certain. But, if Popular Science has it up on their site, and hasn't been called on it yet, there's a good bet that that's what they saw.

iam a die hard ford retiree with 35 years of service,and iam hearing some truck folks bitching about there powerstrokes that are heading towards tundra.and that is not a good sign.....let me refresh the past the ford taurus a big seller,now camary...........read the writing on the wall????a repeat of the past???????FORD WAKE UP!!!!!!!!

If they're going to the Tundra from a SD, either they never needed the SD in the first place, or they'll be back.

Also, how could Ford possibly undo what happened in the past with the 6.0L PSDs? Ford spends $7B a year on research, but you'd have to spend a lot more than that to build a time machine.

If they're going to the Tundra from a SD, either they never needed the SD in the first place, or they'll be back.

Also, how could Ford possibly undo what happened in the past with the 6.0L PSDs? Ford spends $7B a year on research, but you'd have to spend a lot more than that to build a time machine.

richard i agree with you,i was under the impression that ford bought out or took care of there customers that got a troubled out sourced diesel so, these folks are either just natural bitches or there just teed-off .now if they do go to toyota or are just bluffing i dont know.but i hope ford does take care of there truck folks because its a loyal bunch,repeat buyers.......

I don't think what happened with the PSD will happen again.

Ford's truck team may be the best run product development team in the industry. They had a big hiccup with the PSD 6.0 (one apparently due to a very small oversight), but in 30+ years before that, going back well before Ford had the sales crown, what *major* issue has Ford had with their trucks?

We don't start building the 09 F-150 untill mid 08. Would be nice though to at least see the 6-speed in the current 08 model due to be bilt mid 07, gives them time to tweek it before the new 09 model. I think the major change will be from the front end to the A-Post, doors are the same as now except all 3 models will use the super cab front (long) door, no second door on reg cab, and maybe different character lines. Seven lug wheels also, my guess even bigger brakes and larger springs. Also think you will see a much more user friendly box with intigrated compartments and better tie downs like the nissan, as well as the Super-Duty tailgate step.Bigger tail lights also are planned.

Silly as it sounds that tiny door on the standard cab was/ is a great selling point...no- one else has anything similar...so why would they do away with a great feature? Don't tell me the beancounters are trying to justify their Starbucks again...

I don't think what happened with the PSD will happen again.

Ford's truck team may be the best run product development team in the industry. They had a big hiccup with the PSD 6.0 (one apparently due to a very small oversight), but in 30+ years before that, going back well before Ford had the sales crown, what *major* issue has Ford had with their trucks?

torqshift trans Richard? Front brake warpage? Plugs ejecting themselves from heads? Thars been a few blips here and there...

I dont want be a wet blanket here but if I was in the market for a big work truck with a deisel I would have to go with the Dodge/Cummins. I have no problem with Fords gas engines but no one I know has anything good to say about Ford's deisels.

Edited by ebritt

I dont want be a wet blanket here but if I was in the market for a big work truck with a deisel I would have to go with the Dodge/Cummins. I have no problem with Fords gas engines but no one I know has anything good to say about Ford's deisels.

You need to check outside the internet, as someone who is mad will tell hundreds of people about every little detail, and someone who is happy will rarely say a word. Just about every tech we have that drives big trucks here have upgraded to 6.0 trucks, and they hate everything. With the Dodge, the Cummings is decent, just don't expect a conversation within 100' of the truck or an opening less then 1/4 mile in traffic. Its just that every other single thing that hold's the motor in place kinda sucks.

Edited by kevinb120

You need to check outside the internet, as someone who is mad will tell hundreds of people about every little detail, and someone who is happy will rarely say a word. Just about every tech we have that drives big trucks here have upgraded to 6.0 trucks, and they hate everything. With the Dodge, the Cummings is decent, just don't expect a conversation within 100' of the truck or an opening less then 1/4 mile in traffic. Its just that every other single thing that hold's the motor in place kinda sucks.
I heard bad things about the Ford deisels long before I got on the internet.

Also isnt ther an option for Ford and Dodge for a Cat engine?

sold a bunch of em, only had a couple of complaints and only one buyback....Chevy also had prob with their vaunted Allison trans cracking aluminum backing plates I beleive, Cummins...don't hear a lot of bad stuff except for noise and not being able to get out of their own way, but will be interested in how they deal with the new emmisions laws, also the 6.0 is past tence, kinda a shame as all the problems seeemed to be ironed out and it ended up being a good engine, my thinking is with all the pho= pa's on the 6.0 is lessons were learned, I have a felling the 6.4 will be terrific because of it. Also...this thread was on the tundra...they don't even have a diesel...did I miss something...?

I can't believe the ignorance and stupidity of some of the people in this forum. I currently drive a 2004 Ram 1500 Hemi. I taking it back at the end of my lease and getting a 2007 Tundra Double Cab Limited. My Ram has been a good truck and have had no problems. My friend bought a F150 at the same time, what a P.O.S. All you Tundra bashers should get off your fat asses and drive one, then you will shut your mouth. You have only read the reports that suit your beliefs, what about the reports that put the F150 behind all the other trucks. Did you read those, because there are a lot more reports that read that way. I bought a Tundra after driving it, not after reading what someone else had to say. Maybe you should do the same and stop making yourself look like and idiot, because you have no idea what you are talking about. By the way, a Tundra is probebly more American than an F150 is, because have the crap in an F150 is made in Mexico.

I can't believe the ignorance and stupidity of some of the people in this forum. I currently drive a 2004 Ram 1500 Hemi. I taking it back at the end of my lease and getting a 2007 Tundra Double Cab Limited. My Ram has been a good truck and have had no problems. My friend bought a F150 at the same time, what a P.O.S. All you Tundra bashers should get off your fat asses and drive one, then you will shut your mouth. You have only read the reports that suit your beliefs, what about the reports that put the F150 behind all the other trucks. Did you read those, because there are a lot more reports that read that way. I bought a Tundra after driving it, not after reading what someone else had to say. Maybe you should do the same and stop making yourself look like and idiot, because you have no idea what you are talking about. By the way, a Tundra is probebly more American than an F150 is, because have the crap in an F150 is made in Mexico.

nice first post.....

hey, it's a Ford website so expect a little biased here and there, goes with the territory, that and a BUNCH of people that are sick and tired of brainwashed Toyota phobes that constantly tout some ( and not all of it is I admit ) theoretical superiority their beloved "Import " has....lot of opinions here, some to agree with some not...try and weigh both sides and read all...and get some Anger management....fiesty first post....